Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

I've done some research and believe the best gun for my needs will be a
.357/.38 revolver
without the hammer
2.5 or 3" barrel
I checked the S&W site and found that all those that meet that spec are 2.125 length or smaller. I was hoping for 2.5" barrel but it seems they only have .38's in that length.

I am not going to carry much at all. I have my CCW and a small .28 Beretta semi-automatic pistol that I have never carried and will probably sell.
The main uses are (1) in the house (2) possibly in the car for long trips especially those with night driving and stops which is not that often (3) possibly hiking in areas where there is a small possibility of running into feral hogs or other people, or other people with guns (not a slam on people with guns, its sometimes a weird feeling to be a single woman out in the middle of nowhere and run into a bunch of guys, but somehow even weirder if the guys have guns)

I do realize that any small revolver is not likely to be particularly effective against feral hogs but I'm not going to start toting around anything else and its better than harsh words Honestly I don't expect to have to shoot anything or anybody in my lifetime (55 and haven't yet) but am just trying to find a you never know option for home and out of home very occasional use.

So if I was walking in the woods I'd load with .357, in the house and car .38.
In the woods I feel I would like a bit of a longer barrel, I'm not going to want to let a wild animal get that close as the more probable home or personal defense scenario of 10' and I think a longer barrel would be better. Since I'm not going to carry day to day that should be ok.
Its a dream to retire to a little cabin the woods though I suspect I won't be able to afford it. However were that to become a reality the .357 would be a nice load option for home critter defense too.

But it seems like I have to choose between a .357 or a longer barrel. I checked the S&W site because they seem to be the best revolver maker. Are their older models not on their website that are both .357/38 and 2.5 or 3" and no hammer?

Last, I know that its recommended for personal protection to consider the lightweight aluminum or titanium guns. I'm not sure I need to be concerned with that as i won't be carrying day to day? Or for hikes do I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Okay...let's take this one at a time:

First, the "background":

I'm an avid gun enthusiast. Have owned 'em since I was given my first one at 12, carried one in my vehicle since I was 16. carried concealed since the 90's.

I primarily carry semi-automatics, usually a .45, but own 6 .380 "pocket guns" - 3 Colt Mustangs, 3 Sig P238's. I will carry a S&W 686 (2 1/2" barrel) on occassion. All my primary carry guns are .45's, which mean weight - but I'm a big guy, so not a major factor for me. I just prefer the slimmer profile of a semi-automatic to that of a revolver.

My wife carries a Model 37 Chief's Special Airweight (.38), has a Model 66 Combat Magnum (.357) 4" for the house, and has 2 Kimber .45's I have set up especially for her w/slim grips for her smaller hand - one full-size, the other a compact. She's also been known to snag one of the .380's from time to time to carry in her purse.

IMO, .380 is only good for buying time to get to something bigger, but it also beats trying to use a rock or fist. It does have the potential to be deadly, but the round is small and shot placement is going to be critical.

The .38 is essentially a tad bigger than the .380, and the same caveats apply.

The .357 is fully capable of doing the job, but you do have to be careful about over-penetration. The same is true for any caliber, but IMO the only ones worse is the 9mm (of which I own NONE - nor will I) and the .44 magnum. For our purposes of THIS discussion, though, the .44 mag is really not under real consideration due to the size of the gun.

The .45 (IMO) provides the best of both worlds - delivering an almost half-inch, 230-grain round at a relatively slow speed that tends to transfer most of its' energy to your target, and is one of the least likely to overpenetrate. There are any number of types/brands available in a wide variety of sizes and materials of construction.

The .40 is another round worthy of consideration. However, most guns chambered for this round are "double-stack" (meaning higher capacity per magazine), and therefore tend to be as large (or larger) than most .45's. You also have potential for overpenetration with this round, but not nearly to the extent of the 9mm or .357 IMO.

Polymer-framed guns offer a great weight savings. Some folks love 'em. Not me - just a personal preference by and large - but one nice thing about an all steel gun is that if I needed to, it's got enough weight to make an excellent club. That additional weight also helps tremendously in absorbing recoil.

I detest hammerless guns. Period. I understand why they have 'em, but have personally never seen a true advantage - and I've carried my entire adult life. NONE of my guns have 'em.

I put the above in bold italics because 99% of it is my personal opinion - not "scientific evidence" - and therefore subject to personal preferences/opinion. Just trying to lay out the groundwork of what/why I might make specific suggestions/comments.

I would highly suggest you contact gun owners in your area to give you specific guidance and buying assistance. S&W is an excellent firearm IMO, but I own (nor will I) none of their currently produced models because of their built-in "lock" mechanism. If I need a gun, I need it now - not after I unlock it. And before anyone jumps, understand that I have (literally) over 2 tons of gun safes in my house.....and 3 guns within arms reach of me right now (kids are all grown and gone). When kids are gonna be present, I take all reasonable precautions - but otherwise, they're in immediate reach at all times.

But back to the subject at hand....there are MANY older S&W's out there, and finding you a 2 1/2" .357 shouldn't be a biggie if that's what you want. I'd HIGHLY recommend a stainless steel model to help alleviate concerns w/maintenance.

Feel free to DM me with your location - be as specific or vague as you wish (other than "US"<G>), and I'll get you links/info on local gun owners groups/boards that can likely be of help in your search. It's very common to have groups of owners meet up at a local range to let "newby's" try out a variety of guns. Makes things less expensive, since you can then try out a lot of options first-hand without having to buy or rent 'em first.

I hope the above helps!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:34 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've done some research and believe the best gun for my needs will be a
.357/.38 revolver
without the hammer
2.5 or 3" barrel
I checked the S&W site and found that all those that meet that spec are 2.125 length or smaller. I was hoping for 2.5" barrel but it seems they only have .38's in that length.
Giesela,

A word of caution -- a .357 magnum round requires a barrel length of 5 - 6 inches to achieve its full potential. Even in the "standard" 4-inch barrel, a lot of energy goes to waste. This makes the .38+P round the better choice.

Speaking from painful experience, shooting a full-up .357 magnum round through a 2- to 3-inch barrel only serves to generate a whopping concussion; a jarring, painful recoil; and a muzzle flash the size of a beach-ball. Even with all that, the bullet will still have no more velocity or stopping power than a good ol' .38 special round.

So, while its a good idea to have a revolver that's capable of firing both the .38 special and the .357 magnum rounds, I strongly suggest that you don't use the .357 round except when there's no other choice.

Hope this helps.

-- Nighteyes

Old 09-10-2011, 10:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
I assume that you want a hammerless revolver because you wish to carry it in a pocket or purse and draw it without snagging. That's a good method of carry. Gunmakers have been designing guns of this sort since the invention of mechanical ignition five hundred years ago. We've recently seen a plethora of holsters designed to be used inside the pocket. This is great for the profits of holster makers and dealers, but a really silly idea. It's far better to modify a pocket if necessary, easy enough. Some heavier material can be used on the outside to hide the outline of the gun if you wish. The old timers frequently used a leather pocket of an appropriate size.

A hammerless revolver is double action only; this is a bad idea if you might ever need to make aimed shots from any distance. Yes, there are people who can shoot very well double action. But they practice all the time. They also use light loads. It's a sport, not a true defensive method.

But there is a solution that will give you snag-free carry as well as letting you fire single action. It's the gun with the shrouded hammer. It doesn't snag but lets you pull back a tiny protrusion to cack (c-d bans the correct spelling) the gun. Smith & Wesson has been making an excellent gun of this sort for years, the original Bodyguard. They're made in different weights; some are chambered for .38 special, the original chambering; others are chambered in .357 magnum which allows the use of the .38 special as well. The best is the stainless steel frame since the added weight makes it far easier to shoot. This is the Model 649; it has a 2.125" barrel, appropriate for a pocket gun. A good gunsmith (and I do mean a good one) could fit a longer barrel. But it wouldn't be cheap.

When it's cool enough to wear a jacket that doesn't droop from the weight I carry one in my side pocket. I load it with Magsafe ammunition; it's the most effective ammunition available and the light weight of the bullets means reduced recoil. In warmer weather I carry a Model 638 in the side pocket of my pants. It's the same configuration but with an alloy frame with a stainless steel barrel and cylinder; it's chambered in .38 special and has a 1.875" barrel. Again I use Magsafe ammo, very expensive but very good.

Having one gun to satisfy all your shooting needs is like having one pot to satisfy all of your cooking needs. It's frequently very inconvenient, even if the pot is stainless-clad copper.

Product: Model 649

Mag Safe Ammo - Pre-Fragmented Saftey Ammunition Handcrafted In The USA

Magsafe is often available at much better prices on gunbroker.com

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 09-10-2011 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: To change the spelling of a word to an incorrect form

Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Hooboy.....figured it'd go here....

Ya gotta try/evaluate for yourself, but here's an interesting site to give you some truly "scientific" data:

BBTI - 357 Mag

BBTI - 38 Special

BBTI - 45 Auto

Bottom line: Yeah, there are trade-offs. But if a 4" barrel means you ain't gonna carry it at all times and you're only gonna have one gun - then best to have the one that best fits your overall requirements.

I'm lucky in that I've got options via my collection, so the variety is larger. For most folks, that ain't an option - so the choices need to be more focussed.

As to "fireball"....well, I guess - but again, if it's carry or not, I'll just be sure my sunglasses are on before pulling the trigger!

Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
I am a (in a small way) S&W collector. I have in excess of 30 S&W revolvers.

The 649 mentioned would be PERFECT for what you want.

The shrouded hammer (Bodyguard... but not the latest crap-tastic so called bodyguard) is the best of both worlds allowing you to forget about snagging, while being able to take those shots in the woods where single action is preferred.

Also, various ammo makers (Corbon etc) make ammo specifically designed to reach the velocities in the shorter barrel (This has the added benefit of reducing flash (Due to unburnt carbon) at night.

About the 2.5 vs 3 inch:

The 3 inch has a longer ejector rod allowing for total extraction of the fired shells.
The 2.5 has a shorter one which will not fully knock them out.

There are many of us who have a 'thing' for the 3 inch revolvers. (I never liked revolvers till I stumbled across a 3 inch model 66... that started it)

I've picked up a pair of 13's (One with a bobbed hammer, that might be PERFECT for what you want) a pair of 65's, a 3 inch 36 etc...

I'm looking (A few... very few were made) for a 3 inch 19.

I wouldn't look new, you can get a better gun at a better price buying used.

Picture:

Bottom right:
3 inch 66 that started it all.
Moving up: 3 inch 65
3 inch 65
3 inch 13
3 inch 13 (Bobbed hammer)
top of second colum is a 940 in 356 TSW
then a babbed hammer 3 inch 36-1
649-3
a lone Colt. A second Generation 3 inch Detective special
a Airweight 38-3
on the edges the Blued gun is a mint model 49 and a 640 (The SS gun)

That might help you compare sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking Recs for .357 revolver, personal protection-dscn4568-30-.jpg  

Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
...and believe the best gun for my needs will be... main uses are
(1) in the house
(2) possibly in the car for long trips
(3) possibly hiking in areas small possibility feral hogs or other people
oh boy

Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I've picked up a pair of 13's (One with a bobbed hammer, that might be PERFECT for what you want) a pair of 65's, a 3 inch 36 etc...
About twenty years I picked up a Model 36 and a Model 60, both with 3" barrels. The Model 36 has adjustable sights which makes it a very pleasant gun to shoot.

There was an outfit about thirty-five years ago (I can't remember the name) that made a J-frame grip that came up high and shrouded the hammer. That turns the J-frame of your choice into a Bodyguard. Bill Jordan opined that a Bodyguard in .22 magnum would be ideal and there it would be. I have a North American Arms mini in .22 magnum but a bigger gun is a nicer gun to shoot.

Quote:
I wouldn't look new, you can get a better gun at a better price buying used.
Ideally look for a private seller at a gun show. The problem is, however, at least in my neck of the woods, that J-frames are not common at shows. People keep them.

I should have stated in my first post that the light weight J-frames in .357 magnum have recoil that is beyond description. I fired one with a Scandium frame once; once was way too many times.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
About twenty years I picked up a Model 36 and a Model 60, both with 3" barrels. The Model 36 has adjustable sights which makes it a very pleasant gun to shoot.

There was an outfit about thirty-five years ago (I can't remember the name) that made a J-frame grip that came up high and shrouded the hammer. That turns the J-frame of your choice into a Bodyguard. Bill Jordan opined that a Bodyguard in .22 magnum would be ideal and there it would be. I have a North American Arms mini in .22 magnum but a bigger gun is a nicer gun to shoot.

Ideally look for a private seller at a gun show. The problem is, however, at least in my neck of the woods, that J-frames are not common at shows. People keep them.

I should have stated in my first post that the light weight J-frames in .357 magnum have recoil that is beyond description. I fired one with a Scandium frame once; once was way too many times.
Sorry, no it doesn't.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Quote:
Sorry, no it doesn't.
Smith & Wesson has made limited runs of both the Model 36 and Model 60 with adjustable sights. There are several excellent reference books on Smith & Wesson. Perhaps you should consider purchasing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting