Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:58 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

I need to suggest a gun for a female relative recently sent near the border on work for 4 years.

I'm thinking .45. Either a 1911, cmdr or officer, XDS, or Glock 30.

Needs to handle boar and possibly snakes, two legged and rattle type.

What about a .357 snubbie?

I don't know how big they get there, but apparently they get in the yard and are a problem at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 04:32 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I need to suggest a gun for a female relative recently sent near the border on work for 4 years.

I'm thinking .45. Either a 1911, cmdr or officer, XDS, or Glock 30.

Needs to handle boar and possibly snakes, two legged and rattle type.

What about a .357 snubbie?

I don't know how big they get there, but apparently they get in the yard and are a problem at night.
Does it have to be a handgun? Some wild boar can get rather nasty, and the gristle plate tough. A .44 would be a good bet, but that's a bit overkill for 2 legged problems, and compromises the shooter significantly in capacity/recoil/etc.

I would suggest a quality AR-15 and appropriate ammunition for the task as a better tool for both jobs.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I don't think she will want a .44 and a rifle would be out, needs to be a concealed carry weapon.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,116 times
In that area I doubt they are boars, more likely Javelina. Javelina are tough but much smaller than a wild pig. They look similar but Javelina's are actually classified in a different group than swine. I've shot several in AZ. Not much gun needed as they only average about 25-40 pounds. They look bigger when they bristle up and can be a mean critter. They do have small tusks or canines. I shot mine with 357 mag and 30-30 Win.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
.410 judge loaded slug, shot, slug, shot etc.. Will dispatch snakes and little porkers no problemo.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
In that area I doubt they are boars, more likely Javelina. Javelina are tough but much smaller than a wild pig. They look similar but Javelina's are actually classified in a different group than swine. I've shot several in AZ. Not much gun needed as they only average about 25-40 pounds. They look bigger when they bristle up and can be a mean critter. They do have small tusks or canines. I shot mine with 357 mag and 30-30 Win.
That's what I was thinking. A 9mm will do fine for the little tuskers.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:34 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
A ruger sp101 with buffalo bore ammo in 357 would do the trick.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
I think this is correct. I'm not certain why one needs to hunt javelina with a concealed handgun, but, if that is what you have decided to do, I'd favor a .45ACP, a 1911 or maybe a SIG, or even a SIG in .357 SIG caliber. For a wheelgun, I'd suggest a .357 or .41 or even .44 Maggie. The 44 could be used with less than "full house" handloads. Single or double action revolver would be up to personal preference. A SAA or clone of it in .45 Colt would do well, but think about bullets. If you have to stick to factory loads, in the .45 Colt you would need to find something better than the typical semi-round nose lead bullet.

With the revolvers you can choose a barrel length. A 6" barrel can be concealed in a shoulder holster, easier to hit with but a bit slower to get into action. A 4" is handier, does not necessarily give up significant velocity, but the reduced sight radius makes sight picture more critical.

Bullet choice is important. Avoid hollowpoints intended for anti-personnel use, they are too fragile. A heavy cast bullet would do well in the bigger calibers. For the .45 ACP, some sort of truncated cone FMJ or a cast lead equivalent would work.

If I were using this hunt as an excuse to buy another gat, offhand I would get a 6" M29 Smith, and use less than full house but still stout handloads.

The shooter will need considerably above-average skills. If you wound one, probably it will try to get back at you. And they are capable of doing some damage, I have read. Never hunted them or even lived where they can be hunted.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think this is correct. I'm not certain why one needs to hunt javelina with a concealed handgun, but, if that is what you have decided to do, I'd favor a .45ACP, a 1911 or maybe a SIG, or even a SIG in .357 SIG caliber. For a wheelgun, I'd suggest a .357 or .41 or even .44 Maggie. The 44 could be used with less than "full house" handloads. Single or double action revolver would be up to personal preference. A SAA or clone of it in .45 Colt would do well, but think about bullets. If you have to stick to factory loads, in the .45 Colt you would need to find something better than the typical semi-round nose lead bullet.

With the revolvers you can choose a barrel length. A 6" barrel can be concealed in a shoulder holster, easier to hit with but a bit slower to get into action. A 4" is handier, does not necessarily give up significant velocity, but the reduced sight radius makes sight picture more critical.

Bullet choice is important. Avoid hollowpoints intended for anti-personnel use, they are too fragile. A heavy cast bullet would do well in the bigger calibers. For the .45 ACP, some sort of truncated cone FMJ or a cast lead equivalent would work.

If I were using this hunt as an excuse to buy another gat, offhand I would get a 6" M29 Smith, and use less than full house but still stout handloads.

The shooter will need considerably above-average skills. If you wound one, probably it will try to get back at you. And they are capable of doing some damage, I have read. Never hunted them or even lived where they can be hunted.
Really, a hot 9mm is all that is needed for a little javelina. They really are small things. However, there are always a LOT of them. Capacity would be nice. An AR15 would be PERFECT. But, if you must have a pistol that is easily carried, M&P9C or G19 gets my vote.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Really, a hot 9mm is all that is needed for a little javelina. They really are small things. However, there are always a LOT of them. Capacity would be nice. An AR15 would be PERFECT. But, if you must have a pistol that is easily carried, M&P9C or G19 gets my vote.
OK, but what bullet would you use in the 9? I'm not aware of a good "hunting" type bullet for the 9X19, either as a factory load or as a component. Seems to me you are stuck with anti-personnel hollowpoints (no penetration) or FMJ (no expansion).

But maybe experience shows that a 9mm FMJ will down a javelina just fine?

I still say shooting a javelina with a concealable handgun is going to call for better marksmanship and better knowledge of what part of the pig to aim at (at all angles) than most people can muster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting