U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 AM

226 posts, read 170,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Owned a stainless Taurus M-85 2 inch barrel, 5-shot .38 and loved it. It is similar in some respects to S&W and I am very familiar with S&W. It was an easy gun for me to conceal and I just put a piece of scotch tape across the muzzle to keep the dirt out when carrying it in a jacket pocket. Carried a couple of loaded speed loaders as well. Still the difference between revolvers and autos is a personal preference. To each their own.
Old 80's and very early 90's Taurus revolvers were based on S&W patterns. They came in the black box with gold writing. They also had nice wood grips on them. Much higher quality than the current ones. They went off the deep end and changed their designs. They are nothing like a Smith now. Nowhere as good either.

Memories.....

http://tonnel-ufo.ru/foto/oruhie/rev...taurus_m85.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:09 AM

226 posts, read 170,797 times
Here's what you get now. Compare the two and it's so easy to tell a blind guy can see and know it.

Taurus Up Close Photo by mccai011 | Photobucket

Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 AM

774 posts, read 1,990,974 times
I've been carting here in IL. Since they made it legal about 6 months ago and have been doing so out of state for about 5 yrs.

I have several guns to choose from including a pair of SP101's but this summer I've found myself carrying my LC9 almost exclusively. Like others have said the trigger is pretty bad but I've gotten use to it so no big deal at this point. The biggest problem I have with it is I keep forgetting I'm carrying it. Here in IL they have placed tons of restrictions on where you can carry and I can't tell you how many times I've had to double back to car.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:25 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,344,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2D2 View Post
Here's what you get now. Compare the two and it's so easy to tell a blind guy can see and know it.

Taurus Up Close Photo by mccai011 | Photobucket
Today's M85's are still a great, no frills shooter for someone on a budget.....

If you want S&W quality, you've got to buy a S&W.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:29 AM

Well after a few hours more of research, I've come to the conclusion that the only advantage the LC9 has over the Shield are those 2oz. in weight ( and some may not even consider that to be an advantage as far as shoot-ability is concerned ) I'm most concerned with reliability and carry-abilty though, and that's where those 2oz. come in to play. If only the Shield were 2oz. lighter this would be a so much easier decision, or am I sweating it too much over what seems like a negligible difference?

Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,043,826 times
You'll want to fire the lighter one first. Lighter=more recoil generally speaking, my walther pps in 9mm kicks like a 1911 .45...

Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,043,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Well after a few hours more of research, I've come to the conclusion that the only advantage the LC9 has over the Shield are those 2oz. in weight ( and some may not even consider that to be an advantage as far as shoot-ability is concerned ) I'm most concerned with reliability and carry-abilty though, and that's where those 2oz. come in to play. If only the Shield were 2oz. lighter this would be a so much easier decision, or am I sweating it too much over what seems like a negligible difference?
2oz's is nothing. If you have a proper setup (good iwb holster and a gun belt), you shouldn't have any issue with a 20oz gun.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 PM

I think I'm gonna look around and try to see if I can get in touch with an instructor who might have access to the guns so that I can test fire them.

Probably going to be a little while before I buy anything else gun related as it is.... I just got slapped with a $1500 estimate on a tranny re-build + some other mechanical work today, so that's the priority.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 PM

7,854 posts, read 7,850,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You might be interested to know that Ruger just introduced the LC9s version of the LC9. It is striker-fired and supposedly has a vastly improved trigger:

Ruger® LC9s™ Centerfire Pistol Features

From what I've read on the Ruger boards, this is indeed a big improvement over the hammer-fired LC9.

Bud's has them for $351 shipped free to your FFL:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...MM+3.12+7RD+BL

Just tote an LCP myself.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You might be interested to know that Ruger just introduced the LC9s version of the LC9. It is striker-fired and supposedly has a vastly improved trigger:

Ruger® LC9s™ Centerfire Pistol Features

From what I've read on the Ruger boards, this is indeed a big improvement over the hammer-fired LC9.

Bud's has them for $351 shipped free to your FFL:

Ruger LC9S 9MM 3.12 7RD BL $351.00 SHIPS FREE

Just tote an LCP myself.
I knew about it....

For a carry gun I like a long trigger pull. For me, that's actually a point in the LC9's favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or