U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,310,168 times

Advertisements

So I've been carrying a stainless steel Taurus model 85 for concealed carry, IWB..... The weight and bulk of the gun is a little more of an issue for me than I expected, so I've been thinking about getting a Ruger LC9 for IWB and using the revolver in the winter months for OWB when it will be easier to conceal with a coat.

The Taurus M85 weighs in at approx. 22.5 oz. unloaded and holds five .38 special rds.

The LC9 weighs in at about 17.1 oz. unloaded and holds eight 9x19 mm rds.

The width of the Taurus cylinder is about 1.3

The Width of the LC9 is 1.0 { pretty sure }

What I want to know is, will the difference in weight and bulk really be worth me going and spending the money on the LC9 for IWB? We're only talking about a few oz's here, probably right around half a Lb. once all is said and done. How much more comfortable will the LC9 be to carry vs. the Taurus? Whatever I decide, this is pretty much my everyday carry weapon and so I want it to be as comfortable as possible in all situations. When I'm out and about, the Taurus is fine, but when I'm at home sitting down or just around the house, it starts to get irritating. Also, the shape + length of the grip on the Taurus often digs in to my side. It seems like the grip on the LC9 is much more compact....

What's your opinions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 02:11 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,020 times
I used to carry an M&P Shield 9mm. Still do on occasion, but I have grown to prefer a larger weapon. M&P9, or 9C. Glock 19, etc.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:29 AM

30,733 posts, read 16,968,992 times
I loved my LC9, never carried it IWB...just OWB, it's got a heck of a kick as most little guns do...but when I was wearing it, nobody knew I had it...even OWB with just a regular shirt.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I loved my LC9, never carried it IWB...just OWB, it's got a heck of a kick as most little guns do...but when I was wearing it, nobody knew I had it...even OWB with just a regular shirt.
I have not shot an LC9, but my M&P Shield 9mm was very controllable and I found it easy to put the rounds on target out to 25 yards, and at 50 yards with a little patience, I could also hit a IPSC target relatively reliably, although that's pushing my comfort zone with that pistol at this time. Have you shot a Shield? Curious how they compare, there.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:28 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
All things being equal with regards to your proficiency in shooting said weapons. Always go with the most comfortable.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 AM

2,235 posts, read 2,262,955 times
I would suggest a S&W 642, which I own, or a Ruger LCR. Reason being you'll being using the same ammo as you're Taurus and both pistols are easily concealed in a pocket or pocket holster. Each pistol has an internal hammer so it won't snag when being drawn, and you're already familiar with a revolver. Check them out.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:59 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,683,182 times
Buy the LC9 and give it a try. Worst case scenario is you end up with another gun, which is a good thing - you can never have too many guns.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 AM

4,101 posts, read 5,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So I've been carrying a stainless steel Taurus model 85 for concealed carry, IWB..... The weight and bulk of the gun is a little more of an issue for me than I expected, so I've been thinking about getting a Ruger LC9 for IWB and using the revolver in the winter months for OWB when it will be easier to conceal with a coat.

The Taurus M85 weighs in at approx. 22.5 oz. unloaded and holds five .38 special rds.

The LC9 weighs in at about 17.1 oz. unloaded and holds eight 9x19 mm rds.

The width of the Taurus cylinder is about 1.3

The Width of the LC9 is 1.0 { pretty sure }

What I want to know is, will the difference in weight and bulk really be worth me going and spending the money on the LC9 for IWB? We're only talking about a few oz's here, probably right around half a Lb. once all is said and done. How much more comfortable will the LC9 be to carry vs. the Taurus? Whatever I decide, this is pretty much my everyday carry weapon and so I want it to be as comfortable as possible in all situations. When I'm out and about, the Taurus is fine, but when I'm at home sitting down or just around the house, it starts to get irritating. Also, the shape + length of the grip on the Taurus often digs in to my side. It seems like the grip on the LC9 is much more compact....

What's your opinions?
I have several J Frame size guns, and a couple of them are Taurus 85's. While I wouldn't carry one for concealed carry, I don't see anything wrong with one because of it's size. I don't carry one because it is a 38 Special. I carry four different guns, they are a Diamondback DB9 in an ankle holster (all the time), a S&W 386 with a 2.5" barrel (referred to as their Air Lite PD) caliber 357 Mag, Kimber Ultra Carry 45 ACP, and lastly a Rock Island Armory mid sized 1911 in 9 MM caliber (17 rounds in the mag). I carry the Diamndback always, and usually the S&W 386 in a 'pancake holster', if not the S&W then the Kimber in a IWB holster made by Ted Blocker. The only one of these firearms that I feel isn't very comfortable is the RIA 1911, and while I don't particularly like 9 MM, this gun has a lot of firepower with 17 rounds in the mag. I guess it really matters on what you get used to, I've carried a concealed weapon since 1973 on a daily basis. The S&W 386 is not a small gun like the J Frame guns, but it is very light weight, and that makes a difference in comfort level, the Kimber is also a light weight gun and comfortable to carry. The difference in a revolver and an auto loader for me is the speed of reloading. I know the Kimber is much quicker for me to reload than the revolver, it is also equipped with a laser grip sight, which makes it better for a carry gun. The revolver is quicker getting the first shot out of the barrel, and that is the only reason I carry it instead of the Kimber. One quick pull of the trigger and bang, not so with an auto loader. With an auto loader you have to take it off safely, or rack the slide to load one in the receiver before it goes boom, that is not good in a car jacking situation when speed is everything. Your own personal taste in a weapon is probably more important than what we posters could tell you. I've noticed that most people recommend what they have, but many of them haven't tried anything except what they have. I can choose from over forty different hand guns, but the one's I've mentioned are my choices because they work best for me. One poster said choose what is comfortable, I would say chose something that is big enough to get the job done, and get used to having it at your side, eventually it will become more comfortable, and some of that depends on what holster you use with it. Tonight I wore my S&W 386 in a pancake holster through our county fair and spent sometime talking to an LEO while there, he didn't know I was packing two firearms. I wore a pare of blue jeans, a tee shirt and a short sleeved shirt with the tail out. A sign at the entrance indicated the fairgrounds staff wanted me to give up my Constitutional rights to enter the property.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 08-16-2014 at 01:31 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 AM

7,823 posts, read 7,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Buy the LC9 and give it a try. Worst case scenario is you end up with another gun, which is a good thing - you can never have too many guns.
I see the LC9 is coming out with a striker-fired version, the LC9s. That should be a big improvement for the trigger pull.
Also, the OP could consider the Kahr CM9 or the CW9.

Get them all, and have a nice CC rotation.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:46 AM

190 posts, read 143,242 times
My first handgun was a Taurus 9mm revolver with a titanium frame. I don't remember the model, but hated the recoil. I switched to semi-autos. One carry favorite is a Sig Sauer P290. It measures 4.25 X 5.5 x 7/8 in. It can fit in a pocket, on an ankle or about anywhere. The small size and light weight means that I will have it with me in summer heat, or dressed up, and not worry about revealing that I carry. A magazine holds 6 + 1 in the chamber. The laser is worse than useless. By the time it gets turned on, you will have already lost.

I'm not suggesting a Sig 290, just that you think about your needs and whether a small deep-conceal would be a good choice.

In colder seasons, a Glock 23 or 19 is great. The larger size is more easily concealed in heavier clothes. If you decide on a larger handgun, I recommend a good belt and paddle holster such as a King Tuck or Crossbreed. That style is very comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or