Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times

Advertisements

Like the title says, Newb here.

Just took the NRA basic pistol class with the wife this weekend. VERY informative and money well spent.

We shot about 100 rounds in a .22 pistol in the class.

Long story short. we both enjoyed target shooting and would like to get a pistol for home defense and for target practice at the range.

I was hoping someone could recommend the best gun for those applications. From the little knowledge I have is .22 are good for target practice because the ammo is cheap but no so good for self defense because the bullets are so small.

With that said we have never shot anything else. there is a range near us that rents guns. so we do plan on heading down there soon and trying a few different guns to see what feels good, but I was hoping you guys could steer me in a good direction and offer some feedback as well

Just thinking about it, I can see why people own many guns. But honestly for buget reasons that's really not an option right now. I just want something that we can both use for home defense and target shooting. she had no trouble with the .22 and I think she could handle a larger gun. she is physically fit and doesn't have tiny hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
.9mm would handle both well with (normally) cheaper ammo.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:39 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post

Just took the NRA basic pistol class with the wife this weekend. VERY informative and money well spent.

Long story short. we both enjoyed target shooting and would like to get a pistol for home defense and for target practice at the range.

I was hoping someone could recommend the best gun for those applications. From the little knowledge I have is .22 are good for target practice because the ammo is cheap but no so good for self defense because the bullets are so small.

With that said we have never shot anything else. there is a range near us that rents guns. so we do plan on heading down there soon and trying a few different guns to see what feels good, but I was hoping you guys could steer me in a good direction and offer some feedback as well

Just thinking about it, I can see why people own many guns. But honestly for buget reasons that's really not an option right now. I just want something that we can both use for home defense and target shooting. she had no trouble with the .22 and I think she could handle a larger gun. she is physically fit and doesn't have tiny hands.
I wouldn't totally write off the .22 as a defensive weapon, certainly I would shoot some 9mm, 38 cal, .40 & .45 - but if 22 is the gun that's fun to practice with & you're both accurate with it, use it. Any gun you're comfortable shooting is good for defense. Six or ten (or more) 22 caliber holes will slow down & weaken any attacker.. if they're coming from a substantial pistol or revolver, you'll still have a formidable weapon in your hand without having to be a ninja at reloading..(i believe the s&w 22 revolver commonly sold today weighs in at about 36 ounces or so)..

I wouldn't worry *too* much about getting the "wrong" gun - if & when you change your mind later, it's pretty easy to find a new home for most commonly-used guns. In my area for example - a used glock model 19 will often pull $450+, even though a brand-new one is $499 +tax at every gun store in town. A good used $299 38-special revolver from Buds might actually yield a profit in a private sale here.

Buy what you like, can afford & can shoot accurately & don't get too caught up in arguments about "stopping power" & such.

As for ammo cost - 9mm is probably going to win with store-bought ammo, but if you end up target shooting in volume (a couple weekends a month) most any caliber can be reloaded affordably with a $200-$300 investment in a single-stage press & a few key items. 9mm, 38 special, .40 + .45 can all be reloaded for under $.20 per bang.. I'm doing 9mm lead rounds at about a dime apiece now.. which might be less than some are paying for .22lr - the moral of that story is if you find yourself *really* loving 10mm, or .357 "hot" loads, there's a way to enjoy that without going bankrupt..

Last edited by Zippyman; 08-18-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 02:04 PM

329 posts, read 387,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post

For defense in your home, as a new shooter I would go with a double action revolver. Easy to learn, no mix up if its loaded or cocked or has a decocker.
I would suggest a 3" or 4" .357. That way you can shoot both .38 and .357. You can also get DA .22 revolvers for not too much money to keep in practice and not break the bank.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
A .22 LR pistol, either a revolver or semi-auto would make a good defense weapon at a short range, at probably not more than 25 yards. A .22 Magnum revolver would also give you more knock-down power. The one disadvantage of a the .22 rim-fire ammo is the cases are not reloadable.

A 9mm semi-auto is good, as is a .357 magnum revolver because you can also shoot the less expensive .38 special ammo in it. It won't be as accurate with the .38 Spl. as it is with the .357 magnum ammo because of the way the cylinders are configured, with a .38 Spl, the bullet would have to travel further to engage into the barrel's grooves, and you'll lose some of the pressure when you fire off the rounds, you can also shoot the .38 Special +p ammo, which is more powerful than regular .38 Spl ammo.

With the center-fire ammo, you can also reload the cases, that's one big advantage.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Get a .22 handgun first; they're the easiest and most enjoyable to shoot. You already know that you like them. There are so many different sizes and shapes that you're bound to find one that will feel very comfortable to both of you. Try to visit some gun shows where you'll be able to pick up and hold a lot of different guns. It doesn't matter whether you pick an auto or revolver; just get what you like.

Get one with adjustable sights. Different people require different settings. Different ammo may require different settings as well. The most accurate shooting is the most enjoyable shooting.

In defensive situations the mere prescence of a gun resolves the situation almost all of the time. Additionally, no one wishes to be shot with anything. I'd run from a single shot .22 short. It was originally developed as a defensive round 160 years ago and still does the job.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
If only one gun I'd recommend a 9mm to start. .22's are fun, but not sufficent for SD. Doesn't mean they won't kill, lot of people have been shot/killed by .22's in untrained hands, but there are better options.

If you can rent some guns that's a great idea. Try Glock 17/19, Ruger SR9, Springfield XDM, or any of the mainstream guns. I have and like all the above.

I highly recommend the NRA Pers. Protection in and Out of the home classes. PPIH will introduce you to the first level of self defense. PPOH will prepare you with the basics for CCW. Education is lifelong, keep training.

Buy your 9mm. Then get a .22 for fun and practice, SR22, Browning Buckmark, GSG 1911-22, etc. Then if you like your 9, buy another of the same.

I personally prefer a .45 (bigger boolits) and if you can try some by all means do. But a 9 is a good place to start.

I respectfully disagree with revolvers for SD for new students. 5 rounds, or 18? More is better. Look at the current Brown shooting. Hit 6 times before he went down. What if you were attacked by three bad guys (very real possibility) and only had 5 rounds.

NRA Instructor
Certified Armed Security Instructor
Certified CCW Instructor in 3 states.

Last edited by jamies; 08-19-2014 at 01:37 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 03:04 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Short answer?.... There are no right answers. Strike a balance between what you can afford and what is most enjoyable for you to shoot. Think about things like, "how often will I target shoot/practice/go to the range?"... "How many rounds between me and my wife will I be firing each trip, and how much will that cost me?".... "How much recoil can I put up with and still have it be an enjoyable experience?".....

All serious questions, and ones you'll be able to better answer once you've had some experience with a bit wider variety of firearms and calibers.

If you find yourself liking the .22, then go with the .22..... Having "a" gun is better than having no gun in a defensive situation, and you can always upgrade later after you're more experienced. Also, if you find a gun uncomfortable to shoot, or not affordable to shoot often, you won't practice with it, and if you don't practice with it, it's less likely you'll be ready and prepared if and when the time comes that it is needed.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of safe and responsible gun ownership. Glad to have you aboard!

Old 08-19-2014, 05:07 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
The military, FBI, and many local and state police rely on the 9mm. The 9mm works just fine, and there are all sorts of handguns chambered for it to fit any size/capacity/hand/preference/requirement.

I personally prefer S&W's M&P line. The shape of the grip suites me. Some people like H&K (The VP9 is supposed to be excellent!), some like Glock. Some Springfield. So on and so forth. It's just a tool to me and I'm not emotional about which one, so long as it's a proven tool.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,305 times
Good stuff guys, thanks for the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting