U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM

7,903 posts, read 6,477,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I'm not sure about the 7.62x39 for deer, although it's a good caliber for short range under 100 yards, most states do not allow semi-automatic rifles with that caliber, like the AK-47 with 30-round clips for deer hunting.

If you want a good 7.62/.30 caliber for deer hunting, I'd get something with the .308 Winchester caliber in a semi-auto rifle with a 5-round magazine.

I've been loading/reloading my own ammo since 1986 and I enjoy it.
It's a self-built AR and will carry 5rd mags for deer hunting. In NY, all centerfire rounds are legal for deer. I can't wait to get out with it this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM

94 posts, read 68,760 times
Reloading is in itself another hobby (necessity) within firearms and shooting/hunting. It's very rewarding to save big money and be able to practice more than anyone else who only fires factory ammo. You also can fine tune your loads to your specific needs and weapons, building custom rounds that far surpass anything you would buy off the shelf. Take for instance a .45 ACP. High end four and five figure 1911 manufacturers as well as bullseye shooters know that a classic H&G #68 200 LSW really makes one shine.

https://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html

You can often reduce group sizes in half or more of what a factory 230 FMJ will do. One of the reasons is that a FMJ copper jacket round has a 0.451" diameter bullet. A lead semi-wadcutter is typically sized 0.452" for best accuracy. A proven COL that 1911s NEVER miss a beat is sized between 1.260"-1.250" COL with a medium compromise of 1.255". If you have a 1911 that won't run and shoots terrible groups at distance, I'd start right there first. Alliant Bullseye at 4.8 grains at that COL range usually will ring one out and give you maximum target accuracy performance. Often times factory 230 grain FMJ ball is either too short or too long. If you don't reload, you are stuck with that. That 0.452" bullet will contact the rifling and groves much tighter, thus giving you better spin, stabilization and ultimately accuracy.

Same thing with .38 SPL and factory 130? or 158 grain FMJ ball. That's not going to give you best performance and accuracy in most cases. .38's LOVE a 148 double end lead wadcutter.

https://www.pennbullets.com/38/CAS-38.html

It's like firing a laser compared to shooting a wrist-rocket with a wing and a prayer. Your overall group size will reduce substantially providing accuracy nobody else with factory loads can touch. Just a good old 2.7-2.8 charge of Alliant Bullseye backing that one up will get you where you need to be. Just like the .45 load, this .38 load has been around in competition for decades. DECADES........

Most 9mms shoot 124 grain FMJ much better than the standard 115 grain garden variety. It's why the U.S. military uses that load. What do you do about Wally World or Dick's? They or anyone else don't sell it and unless you seek out military surplus vendors, that's what you are stuck with pretty much. Load your own and make your 9mm print the way it's supposed to all the while saving big coin. Alliant Power Pistol and Winchester 231 make excellent 9mm powders. I use 5.1 grains of Power Pistol and a COL of 1.150" on those ^ 124 grain FMJs. They shoot pretty sweet and are very controllable on rapid fire drills. You're not tearing your weapon up with a barrel burner load either. My buddy uses 5.3 on his loads and they still are nice, not too hot. That range is a good practice area to be in. You don't want to duplicate the early 9mm loads the U.S. military was using when it was cracking Sig frames and Beretta slides. You don't need anything that hot. They finally wised up themselves. Blame the barrel burner load instead of a "turd" weapon....duh! lol

Buy 9mm 124gr Full Metal Jacket Bullets at Precision Delta Bullets

Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 PM

7,903 posts, read 6,477,538 times
Wow. Awesome information on all 3. Thanks for "Just the facts".

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM

9,189 posts, read 10,136,018 times
Since lead alloy bullets fired from revolvers expand to the diameter of the chamber and are then drawn down to the diameter of the forcing cone I size them to chamber diameter. I have gotten better accuracy this way. That extra thousandth or two often makes a real difference. The lack of the initial expansion is beneficial as well. I've learned that the individual chambers don't always possess the same degree of accuracy either, but for it's far more covenient to use more than one chamber outside of experiments.

I prefer round nose bullets. It's easy to fill out the mold when casting and they're generally very accurate. They're the most reliable in an auto as well.

I believe that Ruger still offers its .357 Blackhawk with a spare cylinder for 9mm Luger. I had a 9mm cylinder rechambered to .38 S&W. Since the cylinder is long enough for the .357 magnum this allows me to use very long bullets. I've had very pleasing results at long range. Ken Waters suggested this when He was testing a gun from a run of Security-Six revolvers destined for India and specially chambered for .38 S&W. Sadly, Ruger refused to let him buy the gun and put the revolvers off limits for the public. If I ever run across one of S&W's later J-frame revolvers in that chambering I'll do some experimenting with it. The cylinder isn't that much shorter. I like the .38 S&W as a target and plinking round. A better way might be to have a smaller calibre cylinder opened up and fitted to a .38 J-frame with adjustable sights. Now, that would be a trail gun and a half.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 08-25-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 PM

94 posts, read 68,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Since lead alloy bullets fired from revolvers expand to the diameter of the chamber and are then drawn down to the diameter of the forcing cone I size them to chamber diameter. I have gotten better accuracy this way. That extra thousandth or two often makes a real difference. The lack of the initial expansion is beneficial as well. I've learned that the individual chambers don't always possess the same degree of accuracy either, but for it's far more covenient to use more than one chamber outside of experiments.

I prefer round nose bullets. It's easy to fill out the mold when casting and they're generally very accurate. They're the most reliable in an auto as well.

I believe that Ruger still offers its .357 Blackhawk with a spare cylinder for 9mm Luger. I had a 9mm cylinder rechambered to .38 S&W. Since the cylinder is long enough for the .357 magnum this allows me to use very long bullets. I've had very pleasing results at long range. Ken Waters suggested this when He was testing a gun from a run of Security-Six revolvers destined for India and specially chambered for .38 S&W. Sadly, Ruger refused to let him buy the gun and put the revolvers off limits for the public. If I ever run across one of S&W's later J-frame revolvers in that chambering I'll do some experimenting with it. The cylinder isn't that much shorter. I like the .38 S&W as a target and plinking round. A better way might be to have a smaller calibre cylinder opened up and fited to a .38 J-frame with adjustable sights. Now, that would be a trail gun and a half.
It sure does, you can size or order the EXACT bullet to fit that exact firearm. .38s, .45s and .44s all shine and dominate with lead. The only .45 I don't use lead are my Glock 21s and 30. 1911s and Sig Sauer P-220, oh yeah baby!!

Old 08-26-2014, 01:38 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
I need to get moving. .264 LBC is like 80 bucks a box for lead free.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,897,470 times
I have two Dillon 550B presses, one set up for large pistol primers and the other set up for small pistol primers. In addition to that I have a RCBS Rockchucker that I use mainly for rifles. I have a 9000G Mec for 12 gauge shotshells which has been used a lot. Two 12 gauge and a 20 gauge Lee Shotshell reloaders that don't get much use. When I used to shoot Sporting Clays I could load a 5 gallon bucket of 12 gauge shells in about an hour if my wife didn't bother me, using the MEC. I use the Lee loaders mostly for reloading slugs. I have a variety of powder on hand, but use mostly Clays for shotshells and pistol cartridges.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 6,916 times
One thing is to try to find outlets or pick up powder and primers when you are near some wholesaler. I have family in Kansas and I pick up my supplies at Powder Vally. Or when I visit Michigan and Jays has a sale. Buy large amounts when you buy, 4 pounds of powder or more, several thousand primers ect. Bullets are a bit easier except for some of the rifle bullets since SH. 7.62x39 is not a good round to load for cost. It costs more to load it than to buy factory rounds.Unless you mean American made rounds. At a buck a round thats crazy but I just bought another 1k of the Wolf poly for .21 a round. I can not get the bullets for that to load with. And if its just for hunting a box of 20 should last you a couple of years worth.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:32 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,378,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
there are a few that reload here, including me. although I got out of the 1 at a time reloading and went with an automatic reloading machine. much faster and I do not spend as much time loading 1 round at a time, now I do 2k-3k in an hour, as long as I have the mats needed.
What kind of equipment are you using to load 2k-3k an hour?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:50 PM

226 posts, read 197,914 times
You should use a chronograph when working up loads to see what kind of ballistic performance you have. Is the load charge too light or too hot? This will eliminate the guesswork out of the mix for you. I have the Alpha model but this one is the Alpha Master. Both work great and let you know in digital format what your FPS actually is. Every serious reloader should have one on his workbench/range bag.

Shooting Chrony Alpha Master Review - YouTube

My buddies always want to borrow mine all the time. They find out real quick if their load is weak or not of standard velocity. It will also let you know if you dumped way too much of a powder charge and she's way to hot. Without one you are completely guessing by sound and feel. For new shooters/reloaders that task can be difficult if you don't know how to read your empty cases and are able to observe your muzzle-flash, recoil and trajectory printing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting