U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:56 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,693,900 times

Advertisements

I'm good with calling it "harvesting"; I've never really cared about semantics. Most state wildlife departments already use the term "harvesting".

An animal is losing its life so my family and I may eat something better tasting than leaves, fruit, seeds, and nuts. I consider it to be irrelevant whether that animal is a cow pinned in place at a stockyard and shot in the head with a bolt, or a deer shot at 100-yards in a meadow full of planted grass, or a turkey shot after you promised to have sex with him, or an antelope shot at
1000+ yards using a computer controlled trigger with a Wi-fi enabled tracking scope... or a deer skillfully stalked and downed with a perfect shot using a recurve bow and a wooden arrow.

An animal dies, a human eats it.

If you want to romanticize any skills required for hunting, if you want to call what you do "hunting" and call what someone else does "skill-less harvesting" then that nomenclature is in the eye of the beholder.

An archer using wooden arrows and a recurve bow could say someone using a custom-balanced compound bow with optics isn't really using "skill". Any archer with a 50-yard range could say that about anyone with a muzzleloader and 100-yard range. A powder-shooter could say the same thing about a modern muzzle-loader with pellitized "powder" and modern optics. And so forth.

Personally, I enjoy getting out in nature. If that is the goal, then whether or not I drop a deer is irrelevant. If my goal changes and I really want/need the meat, then any legal tactic I employ that results in a dead dear is irrelevant as far as the deer is concerned. It is still dead and doesn't care whether it was "hunted" or "harvested".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 PM

10,978 posts, read 14,652,373 times
That's fine, I said I really didn't care. Obviously with my original post I looked forward to a mast season of acorns- setting up my hunting pattern was pretty stupid easy then. I was essentially hunting near nature's 'bait pile'.

However I do enjoy the fair chase element of hunting in Montana. It was pretty much that way in WV when I hunted on public lands too (and was usually successful). I think it's why I care less and less about harvesting deer and more about hunting birds with my dogs. And I'll be the first one to admit that dogs are every much as a hunting aide as anything else. I guess the difference is I enjoy the thrill of the seek (or the hunt) so to speak.

But- if I spend more time and money trying to figure out what groceries to plant or spread for my deer than actually spending time 'hunting', well- I'm hanging up my boots.

(Oh and from what I've been told- sweet feed is the undisputed king of drawing deer in like flies. That's coming from a horn hunter I know in WV).

Old 09-03-2014, 05:48 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,994,473 times
Whether it is hunting or harvesting, I really don't get worked up over the technicalities.

To me, deer are just cattle. You feed them, they grow, you kill and eat them. I have a fair amount of land for which I farm a small amount of corn/soybean, harvest trees, and generally upkeep by removing shrub vegetation and replacing it with beneficial varieties like nut and fruit trees, and palatable grains and grasses. There are times when I've used hunting as a way to strengthen or make business connections. There is a lot of wildlife out there, not just deer. A lot of pheasant, grouse, coons, rabbits, just everything. It is a managed ecosystem, I don't dispute that. When I hunt I fully expect to harvest something. This expectation is put into place through various preparations throughout the year.

All in all, I'm not some Joe six-pack who's only contribution to wildlife was the pittance he paid for his hunting license. He opens up his map, finds the biggest green blob of public land, and thinks to himself "That's where the deer are." He goes out, sees nothing, and is soon seen at the BackWoods Bar complaining how the game commission F'd things up This guy's daddy taught him everything about everything, except reality. To respect the deer spirit one must pursue them only by wearing genuine Mohican moccasins, and never hunt where they sleep, and never where they eat, and never where they buck for dominance, never along paths or clearings, and to ONLY shoot when eye contact has been made. Please just go back to your quarter acre plot of land in suburbia.

Baiting wildlife has been done as long as humans have been hunting. People would gather acorns during the autumn then sprinkle them out during the winter months. Cause you know when it is -5, tip toeing through two feet of snow in genuine Mohican moccasins for miles on end, is not a viable option for putting food on the table. Baiting is not some new concept that came to light in the summer of '73. Haha, you all have been watching too many ninja hunting movies where the indian sneakily meanders around the woods and effortlessly shoots a deer with his stone and stick arrow.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 PM

10,978 posts, read 14,652,373 times
I hunt a lot on public lands. I used to hunt in the Mon and GW forest in WV a lot. Also on private (and rugged ground) in the mountains in Hampshire County WV. I seldom was unsuccessful in pursuit of white tail.

Me and my buddies didn't bait. But we did still ***** and moan about DNR at the campsite- that much is true, lol.

Hey go right ahead and do whatever you want! Sounds like the European model to me. Pay to play in a semi-controlled setting. I'm thankful my life has put me in WV and now MT. I enjoy grabbing my topo's, compass and some stuff for my pack and hitting the woods. Now I enjoy hitting eastern Montana for birds where I can hunt 4-5 sections at a time (4-5 sq. miles) and not see one house. I would not enjoy hunting in any other setting.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 PM

156 posts, read 102,941 times
I am surrounded by hills and apple orchards. You can imagine the deer population with corn, corn and more corn as well as soybeans added to the mix. It's almost like cheating.....

We never bait and wait.....they pass through because they are greedy and hungry and know where to get full, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or