U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:55 PM

156 posts, read 102,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You know how I cleaned that cruddy mauser bolt? I disassembled it hit with brake cleaner. 10 seconds and allll the crud was gone. No brushing, no soaking... Spray and GONE. Then a nice light oiling and back together.

Brake cleaner is good s*it!
Yes, but do you still have copper stuck in the bore? Most people still do and don't even realize it. Sometime they will even send their firearms back on warranty repair or sell them off because they think something is wrong with it and it won't shoot. Your group size keeps opening up after time.

Gotta use something good on the barrel......

On bolts and slides and various other parts it's not as important. Brake cleaner can take some finishes off and melt plastic parts. That synthetic safe cleaner above never will. It won't even lift painted white outlines on sights or selector marking colors (red fire) (white safe) etc.. Strips all the crud loose though, real quick like.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM

10,953 posts, read 14,608,320 times
I used the CR-10 inside the bore. Slather patch, run it, let it sit, brush it, brush it some more, patch it, repeat as necessary. Last patch must be clean.

The brake cleaner is only used on disassembled bolts, inside the lower receiver near the trigger assembly, upper- things like that. It REALLY helps me out on my Ruger Mark IV .22 pistol. That puppy is a BEAR to get really clean.

But yeah- you have to keep it off of plastics, wood- use only on metal (and outside).

Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I used the CR-10 inside the bore. Slather patch, run it, let it sit, brush it, brush it some more, patch it, repeat as necessary. Last patch must be clean.

The brake cleaner is only used on disassembled bolts, inside the lower receiver near the trigger assembly, upper- things like that. It REALLY helps me out on my Ruger Mark IV .22 pistol. That puppy is a BEAR to get really clean.

But yeah- you have to keep it off of plastics, wood- use only on metal (and outside).
Old fashioned bluing, parkerizing, stainless steel and Tenifer/Melonite ( GLOCK, S&W M&P, SA XDm), Fail Zero EXO are impervious to any solvent or brake cleaner. I think NP3 is as well. On anything else I would use full power automotive store brake cleaner with caution.

The other stuff is usually always safe. Test inside your frame or slide where no one can see it first before proceeding.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Night Eyes View Post
Sure they do, you need the good solvent to pull it out. Hoppe's No 9 won't touch it at all and that Outers foaming bore cleaner from Wally World doesn't do much better. Think you have a squeaky clean barrel? Run some of the good stuff through it after you are done and you will see it clearly isn't.

More importantly, watch your groups tighten back up again because you didn't do a "wipe and swipe" or give her a "PTA Shower" as we used to call it. (P***y, T**s, and A**).

Thousands of rounds later all my barrels still keep em in the A zone at 100. That's plenty for the kind of rifle it is and ammo and optic and so forth. No need to overclean. Many of my friends only clean an m4 so it doesn't get the place dirty when the change barrels every 20k or so. Still other contacts I have lube em up and burn em down in about 7500 rounds and are then issued new ones (NSW/USSOCOM guys. They shoot...a lot. New gun every 2 to 3 weeks bolts last about 7k. Barrels 7500. Gun never gets cleaned. Their firing schedules are very harsh. Hence the reduced component life. I don't run my guns near that hard.)

*I used to brake cleaner and sweets 7.62 and all that jazz. The only difference I have noticed is that none of my barrel extensions show flash rust from the brake cleaner and I don't have a chemical warfare smelling gun cleaning area now. The guns run just as well and accuracy is still about 2moa with milspec ammo and my aimpoint if I take the time and do my part.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Thousands of rounds later all my barrels still keep em in the A zone at 100. That's plenty for the kind of rifle it is and ammo and optic and so forth. No need to overclean. Many of my friends only clean an m4 so it doesn't get the place dirty when the change barrels every 20k or so. Still other contacts I have lube em up and burn em down in about 7500 rounds and are then issued new ones (NSW/USSOCOM guys. They shoot...a lot. New gun every 2 to 3 weeks bolts last about 7k. Barrels 7500. Gun never gets cleaned. Their firing schedules are very harsh. Hence the reduced component life. I don't run my guns near that hard.)

*I used to brake cleaner and sweets 7.62 and all that jazz. The only difference I have noticed is that none of my barrel extensions show flash rust from the brake cleaner and I don't have a chemical warfare smelling gun cleaning area now. The guns run just as well and accuracy is still about 2moa with milspec ammo and my aimpoint if I take the time and do my part.
Well, see, there ya go......I'm more of a "twenty inch" guy.....both past and present......and *cough*....500+ *cough* meters....

Accuracy is EVERYTHING!!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Well, see, there ya go......I'm more of a "twenty inch" guy.....both past and present......and *cough*....500+ *cough* meters....

Accuracy is EVERYTHING!!
I don't think a 20" barrel is needed for 500+M shots. However, I feel that 500+M is the realm of the .308, regardless of how well the new M855A1 and other rounds are proving to perform. I relegate the 5.56 to 400m and in. Of course, I would have no problem connecting at 500+. I have not shot "longer" distances in a long time, but 165m on demand with my M4 was pretty simple, and when I was 13, 300m using a heavy Colt A2 HBAR in high wind (20-30mph gusts) was pretty easy for me, as well. I am sure with my age and increased muscle strength, etc. now and better understanding of ballistics, not a problem.

Barrel length does not equate to accuracy, only dope. More barrel=more velocity=less precise dope to connect.

Anyway, it sounds more like you are talking about a different weapon system than myself, more of a DMR setup.

Still, de-coppering has not proven necessary in any of the weapons I have shot and owned that I pull 0.5-1MOA out of. This was in my teenage years, and I shot a ton (dad paid for it and all that...) and we would go burn a case of ammo ($200) a week-end when I came to visit. We just used Rem-Oil or CLP, and neither de-coppered much of anything. The guns still ran 0.5-1MOA using cheap ammo, though (COLT CAR A3 Elite with 10X Leupold and my Ruger VT w/6.5-20X leupold) out to 415 yards, which was as far as the local range allowed.

If you have a smooth bore, especially like the hammer forged barrels I use now, copper is a small and self-limiting problem. It's button-rifled bores that have most of the issues. Copper gets in the chatter marks. Even nice button-rifled barrels (those that are not lapped out) have these chatter marks to some extent, while hammer forged barrels do not.

Another thing to consider...Benchrest shooters clean obsessively...Hi Power shooters do not. Both demand extreme accuracy from their weapons.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I don't think a 20" barrel is needed for 500+M shots. However, I feel that 500+M is the realm of the .308, regardless of how well the new M855A1 and other rounds are proving to perform. I relegate the 5.56 to 400m and in. Of course, I would have no problem connecting at 500+. I have not shot "longer" distances in a long time, but 165m on demand with my M4 was pretty simple, and when I was 13, 300m using a heavy Colt A2 HBAR in high wind (20-30mph gusts) was pretty easy for me, as well. I am sure with my age and increased muscle strength, etc. now and better understanding of ballistics, not a problem.

Barrel length does not equate to accuracy, only dope. More barrel=more velocity=less precise dope to connect.

Anyway, it sounds more like you are talking about a different weapon system than myself, more of a DMR setup.

Still, de-coppering has not proven necessary in any of the weapons I have shot and owned that I pull 0.5-1MOA out of. This was in my teenage years, and I shot a ton (dad paid for it and all that...) and we would go burn a case of ammo ($200) a week-end when I came to visit. We just used Rem-Oil or CLP, and neither de-coppered much of anything. The guns still ran 0.5-1MOA using cheap ammo, though (COLT CAR A3 Elite with 10X Leupold and my Ruger VT w/6.5-20X leupold) out to 415 yards, which was as far as the local range allowed.

If you have a smooth bore, especially like the hammer forged barrels I use now, copper is a small and self-limiting problem. It's button-rifled bores that have most of the issues. Copper gets in the chatter marks. Even nice button-rifled barrels (those that are not lapped out) have these chatter marks to some extent, while hammer forged barrels do not.

Another thing to consider...Benchrest shooters clean obsessively...Hi Power shooters do not. Both demand extreme accuracy from their weapons.
I'm talking a M-16A2, a new recruit and a "Marksman" qualification. Your PMI 0931 will teach you the rest.

OMG....what about "Sharpshooter" or *gasp* "Expert"? ......What then?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM

These are handy too when someone can "eat" out of your weapon.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...000433EC_2.jpg

Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I'm talking a M-16A2, a new recruit and a "Marksman" qualification. Your PMI 0931 will teach you the rest.

OMG....what about "Sharpshooter" or *gasp* "Expert"? ......What then?
I know you are talking about the M16A2 (now A4, mostly).

However, the shift has gone to the M4A1 and MK18's. Even in Iraq/Afghanistan. The M14/SR25 are being used mountain-top to top with much better effect. The issue until 855A1 came out was that at 600m, you are "just" poking a tiny hole.

Tool should match the job, and past 400, the .308 is just a better tool until M855A1 hits civilian shelves, which will be a while if it ever does. Even then, it's some very hot ammo...

Old 09-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
These are handy too when someone can "eat" out of your weapon.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...000433EC_2.jpg
This obsession with white-glove is a thing of the past. The gas-tube is NOT to be screwed around with. There is nothing in there that a fancy pipe-cleaner will remove that 55,000-62,000Psi of superheated plasma cannot and has not already.

Institutional thinking has shifted from white-glove to "run it", pretty much, at least, at the tip of the spear. Time spent cleaning is great if you do it for the mental aspect (I enjoy it) as well as for PMI. However, it's not really all that "imperative", and white-glove is purely for the mental aspect, as it serves no functional or PMI purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting