U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times

Advertisements

Do you guys carry cocked and locked or wait until you see big game? I met some guys that absolutely will not move with a loaded gun. I explained that was hard to do with any semi-auto. With my AR or 7400 I usually load at the truck because you can hear it rack for probably a mile.

They even went to the point to say I wasn't welcome to hunt with them unless I used a bolt gun . I have enough firearms to cover that, just thought it was odd. Now, I am teaching my son this method but these are all Adults with many years of experience.

Hunting pheasants would be rather tough wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,897,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do you guys carry cocked and locked or wait until you see big game? I met some guys that absolutely will not move with a loaded gun. I explained that was hard to do with any semi-auto. With my AR or 7400 I usually load at the truck because you can hear it rack for probably a mile.

They even went to the point to say I wasn't welcome to hunt with them unless I used a bolt gun . I have enough firearms to cover that, just thought it was odd. Now, I am teaching my son this method but these are all Adults with many years of experience.

Hunting pheasants would be rather tough wouldn't it?
If I'm upland bird hunting, I'm generally carrying an O/U. If I'm moving and there are other people with me, then the action is broken.

If I'm on a spot and stalk with, for example, another hunter and we're moving, then I probably have a bolt rifle and the bolt handle is going to be in the "up" position or the rifle is carried cradled upside down with the bolt open and the magazine full.

If I'm hunting with a Eugene Stoner derivative, then I'm generally comfortable enough with the positive safety and the drop-safeness and I'm even more cognizant of barrel discipline. I should note, however, that there are very few other people that I'm comfortable being around with a chambered-up black rifle. There may be three people on that list. I recognize that other people probably share the same reservations and, if I'm invited to hunt but my ARs are not, then I understand why and honor that without question or objection.

Duck hunting is generally done from condition 1, but "shooting lane etiquette" is very much in play and poor muzzle discipline either ends your day or ensures that you won't have any more with that group.

If I'm hunting by myself then I don't take the steps that are for the comfort and benefit of other people around you.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:41 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 20 days ago)

10,298 posts, read 10,450,237 times
Interesting they won't move with a loaded weapon. I guess it's not really hunting, but I've moved with a loaded "AR" and a round chambered. Thumb on the fire selector...

Old 09-29-2014, 11:55 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
What do you mean by "loaded"? I'm interpreting that you mean "round chambered".

Most of my hunting guns have tube mags that have to be unloaded by cycling through the action.

In a vehicle my hunting guns are fully unloaded. If I had removable mags I'd keep the mag loaded but out of the weapon. I consider a 4-wheeler to count as a vehicle.

When hunting alone I go "Condition 3" (magazine loaded, chamber empty) as soon as I park and get out of the vehicle. No chance of an AD if I trip or while crossing a barbed-wire fence, but if I jump game I can still chamber a round very quickly. When I arrive on station I go "Condition 2" if a lever-action (round chambered, hammer down) or "Condition 1" if a bolt, pump, or semi-auto (round chambered, hammer/striker cocked, safety on). Most of my hunting is alone, so this is my standard.

About the only time I group hunt is with a shotgun in a dove field. In that case we usually ride 4-wheelers to within a few dozen feet of our hunt location, so there is little foot-travel. In that situation I go straight from Condition 4 to 1. If I walked around the field a bit I would probably stay loaded.

Group hunt with a rifle on foot... Assuming I were a guest I'd follow the rules of the group. It reads like this is your situation.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:52 PM

92 posts, read 65,490 times
Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction so that in the unlikely event you have a negligent discharge the bullet goes into the dirt and nothing else. Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger-guard....rest it on the side.

Be careful with pump action shotguns leaving a shell chambered with the safety on, they can still discharge if slammed or dropped hard enough. I always leave my pump mag tube loaded, round unchambered, action loose or broke. You know when you slide the forearm almost all the way forward but don't let it engage all the way. You don't have to depress the release button on the side of the trigger-guard when you rack it then. Just pump away....

Other than that, pretty much everything else is ready to fire. I never cap my muzzy until I was in position and ready either. I had it loaded, just no cap on the nipple. If that SOB falls out of the tree while climbing, I don't want to shoot myself in the back or blow my head off when it slams the ground.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:01 PM

10,948 posts, read 14,593,711 times
Upland bird we always have chambered rounds. I think a lot of it depends on who you are hunting with. I was hunting with a guy last weekend and we both kept our barrels pointed away from each other, or down at the ground. If a bird flushed to my side- my shot, to his visa-versa...

If you are hunting grouse with your shotgun cracked- I doubt you're gonna get grouse!

Large game it really depends. If I'm in wide open territory glassing for deer- I don't have one in the chamber. I've got time to set up a shot. If I'm in deep timber- it's loaded, locked and safety on. I don't know anybody that does it any differently than that.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Powered View Post
If that SOB falls out of the tree while climbing, I don't want to shoot myself in the back or blow my head off when it slams the ground.
When I used to use stands I NEVER climbed with my firearm or bow. I had a rope with a small beener that I hooked onto either the wheel of my bow or the rear of the shoulder strap on my rifle. I pulled my rifle up unloaded and barrel down after I was situated.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
When I used to use stands I NEVER climbed with my firearm or bow. I had a rope with a small beener that I hooked onto either the wheel of my bow or the rear of the shoulder strap on my rifle. I pulled my rifle up unloaded and barrel down after I was situated.
That's even safer yet. Most importantly is to never hoist up or climb with a ready to fire weapon. Modern handguns have drop safeties......most old faithfuls don't.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:19 PM

That means there is at least a 95% chance that when you drop your Remy 870 15 feet and it slams down on the ground buttpad first it's GOING OFF!!

Old 09-29-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Powered View Post
That's even safer yet. Most importantly is to never hoist up or climb with a ready to fire weapon. Modern handguns have drop safeties......most old faithfuls don't.
I didn't even like to pull up my old Thompson Encore even uncapped. Barrel was pointing down, but man- the thought of that .50 going off unannounced gives me shivers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting