U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,359,376 times

Advertisements

I had a thought about people using guns, speaking to my cousin after a home invasion this week.
3 people, unarmed, pretended to be making a delivery, and knocked her to the ground, forcing their way into the house. When she screamed, her husband took out his gun and began firing. The stress of this caused him to black out. (this is an elderly couple in their 70's) When he came to, the gun and the intruders wer gone. SO now these people have his gun.

So here's my idea. To use a new iPhone, you can set it so you have to scan your fingerprints. Why not use that technology on a gun? The person licensed to use/carry can use it because the software is set to recognize that person's fingerprints. It can even be multiple people programmed for the same gun. That way, if it gets into the hands of someone who is not licensed for that gun, that person cannot use it.

Is there already something like this?
Downsides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 AM

1,408 posts, read 699,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
I had a thought about people using guns, speaking to my cousin after a home invasion this week.
3 people, unarmed, pretended to be making a delivery, and knocked her to the ground, forcing their way into the house. When she screamed, her husband took out his gun and began firing. The stress of this caused him to black out. (this is an elderly couple in their 70's) When he came to, the gun and the intruders were gone. SO now these people have his gun.
So here's my idea. To use a new iPhone, you can set it so you have to scan your fingerprints. Why not use that technology on a gun? The person licensed to use/carry can use it because the software is set to recognize that person's fingerprints. It can even be multiple people programmed for the same gun. That way, if it gets into the hands of someone who is not licensed for that gun, that person cannot use it.
Downsides?
This has been discussed several times hear on City Data, here is one of the threads.
Smart Guns

Here was my response to that post, it still applies, since you are referring to some kind of smart technology or biometric reader system.

It has already been point out to the technology side of "Smart Guns" not being 100% reliable yet, and it has been pointed out that it is possible to be hacked; by either criminal or government, my problem is if it were to become mandatory, that is when and I guarantee it; you will see a conflict, and low and behold someone will flip a switch, and render your firearm useless. Anything that is electronic can be hacked/fooled/turned off or whatever. Firearms have lasted as long as they because at this point they are a mechanical process, with a chemical process throne in to ignite the gun-powder. And a mechanical process is very difficult to get around in a large scale.

Something else I do not like about "Smart Gun" laws, if this technology is supposed to be so reliable, why are the law enforcement and military exempt from it? It tells me one of two things, either they themselves don't trust the technology with their lives and expect us the civilian population to trust the same technology with our lives; or they plan to exploit that advantage of their weapons over the civilian population.

Down through history the ones to take advantage of elements like this are either the criminals; or people in positions of power and authority.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 AM

30,402 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Oh, you mean like the "smart gun" that NJ is pushing?

Smart gun [or smart anything]= battery=undependable

Old 10-03-2014, 03:48 PM

7,824 posts, read 7,816,354 times
rigby's answer pretty much covers it.

Too bad about your cousin, though. Maybe he should just keep a few cans of wasp spray handy.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:59 PM

9,785 posts, read 7,106,581 times
wasp\ hornet spray works good and it shoots much further than mace. I tell all my real estate peers to have a can handy at open houses etc.. It is cheap and at least in the state of Mass you don't need a license for it like you do need for pepper spray.

Smart guns would be really cool like Judge Dredd has but the technology just isn't there yet. I think I once heard of a gun that would require the user to be wearing a ring that would link up and allow it to fire. That is only so good until you are knocked senseless and you wake up with a missing gun and finger.

I hope they catch those losers thugs that preyed on your elderly cousins.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:15 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
I have been the victim of home invasion. When I grabbed my firearm and squeezed, it went bang. I don't relish the idea of a firearm deciding for me, when to go bang. I don't understand your question. Everybody in my home, and all of my children, know when and how to use firearms.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 10-04-2014, 04:41 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,382,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
wasp\ hornet spray works good and it shoots much further than mace. I tell all my real estate peers to have a can handy at open houses etc.. It is cheap and at least in the state of Mass you don't need a license for it like you do need for pepper spray.

Smart guns would be really cool like Judge Dredd has but the technology just isn't there yet. I think I once heard of a gun that would require the user to be wearing a ring that would link up and allow it to fire. That is only so good until you are knocked senseless and you wake up with a missing gun and finger.

Just so you know, if you spray someone with wasp or hornet spray and they decide to file a criminal complaint, good luck because it is a felony to do that. It is a felony in every state in the country.

If you keep the spray around for the purpose you stated, you'd have no defense because they'd find the post you made and then you'd be the one with flap trap underwear in cell 101.

If you are going to do things like this, the last place you about it here. Everything you post can and will be linked to you no matter how anonymous you think you are.

They sell mace/pepper spray in very effective delivery systems. Why not just get what is legal and which comes with a defense rather than play around with wasp spray that comes with a felony regardless of all the other circumstances?

Old 10-04-2014, 05:07 PM

37,071 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post

Downsides?
The downside is it fails. If your iphone fails it's an inconvenience, if your gun fails it could mean death.

Smart gun technology is just emerging and it could be a very good tool but mandates for it's use will only be a hindrance. People need and will want options such as being able to turn it off. My biggest concern besides reliability would be obsolescence. A well cared for firearm that is 100 years old works as well now as it did 100 years ago.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:09 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,428,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

A smart gun like that is a bad idea. How about if you have such a gun, but for whatever reason you are incapacitated by an intruder and a family member has to step-in on your defense? If he or she can't use your gun to defend you, then both of you are in trouble. The one who should be "smart" is you, not your gun.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:27 PM

245 posts, read 227,420 times
there's a much worse problem that everyone is overlooking. If only you can fire the gun, HOW do you use it to teach novices how to shoot, hmmm? Do not let this stuff get started, guys. There will soon be a bounty put on your head if you dont turn in your old "dumb" guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or