U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 07:28 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,175,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Well the time has come :

In the last six months I've gotten rid of: 375 H&H; Colt SSA 45 colt 7 1/2"; pair of Weatherby Athena O&U, 12 & 20; S&W Mdl 29 44 Mag; Sako Finnbear 7mm Mag; ---------hard to do, but daughter has no interest in them (and there "ain't no buddy else")..... and I don't want 'em sold for pennies/on/the/dollar after I'm gone........so I took the money and Pre-Paid my Funeral expenses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Always have been a "Planner" ........I'm not leavin' ANY TIME SOON.... BUT, it's just like havin' my .45 Sig on the night stand: "Better to have it there and not need it"-----than "Need it and not have it there

Gonna hang on to a few favorites (1961 Sako Forester 243; Rem 700 Alaskan in .338 and The Montana Centennial (1889/1989) 1 of 2000, 1886 Winchester in 45/70 (Plus my 1st gun in 1941: a Win Mdl 74 .22cal, and my last purchase: a Sig 1911 C3 45ACP...................the rest have gotta go!
She will take the Gun Safe though, all 900 pounds if it..HaHaHa

Also talked to Cabelas about maybe making a package deal on some mounted trophies..:Kodiak Bear, Caribou (2); Canadian Timber Wolf; Alaskan Moose; Canadian Black Bear; (2) Montana White Tail.) ............. Daughter just doesn't have room in her house.................

I've got no complaints, life's been good.....been damn lucky and my cup has ALWAYS been "Half-Full".

CARPE DIEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
OP the least you could do is put together a photo montage to share with us if your going to come in hear looking for sympathy.
.......Hey Bulldogdad........ I know you meant your post "in jest" (regarding the 'sympathy' part)..........but to 'make things totally clear'...........I'm the last one in the world to ever look for "sympathy'.....................On the contrary, I've been blessed during my life time in sooooo many different ways that I sometimes wonder if I truly deserve to be so "gifted by the MAN above"!!!!!!.....................
Being in my 83rd year and still be "alive & kickin' " is truly an exceptional accomplishment ---(for me) that I take NO CREDIT for......, and I thank HIM every day................

I am fully aware that this Forum and Thread are not a modern day (computer version) of : "THIS IS YOUR LIFE", however, please allow me to state JUST A FEW REASONS why I feel so blessed!..........
.....Married to the same lady for over 51 years & then lost her to cancer.
.....Was raised by a single mother after the age of 13 (Dad passed away)...and I mean "raised the Old Fashion Way".
.....Was able to get through college in 4 1/2 years...by working 3 part-time jobs.
.....Have the world's greatest daughter, who is a Cancer Surgery survivor (15 Lymph Nodes), as I am also a C S survivor (Prostate and Bladder).
..... Worked for (40) years in a job that I truly loved (traveled to industrial (mining, timber & electrical power) job sites all over the Western U.S.; Rky Mt West; Canada and Alaska.
.....Survived a horrific single vehicle, high speed auto accident---as a front seat passenger in a convertible-- that killed the two people seated on my left (driver and center passenger) and left me with 15 fractures.

As stated these are JUST A FEW of many more reasons that have made my life a "Blessed Journey". As I mentioned before,......I'm a very fortunate guy ..........and I don't know why!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,451,440 times
Griz, you truly have lived an exceptional life. It is sad that you must now give up your collection, but it nice to see that you realize that it is time to turn over those fine specimens to people that will make good use out of them and make memories of their own, with family and friends.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 10-08-2014, 10:48 PM

10,968 posts, read 14,617,816 times
You need a good German Shorthair Pointer in your waning years. A good walk with a shotgun, the dog- just drop the birds and go home.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:52 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,175,310 times
.......Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.................being raised during most of the Great Depression taught me some fundamental principals that stayed with me throughout my formative years and to present/day.

It's too bad that such a small percentage of today's kids and teens grow up hardly knowing what the "outdoor world" is all about and how it can have such a positive effect on their lives. Just one example I'll mention is that from the mid 1930's to 1950, about half of our meals at home came from the fish I caught from a near-by lake, and the many, many rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, partridge, ducks and geese that were abundant in the area.

And to Threerun: I have had various breeds of dogs throughout my entire life, several of which were hunting dogs, and as I type this, my remaining Brittany is at my feet.... If I out-live this Brittany, I may take you up on getting one of those GSP's......they are a fine breed of hunting dog and make a good companion.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,327,031 times
I can't even imagine how hard it must be to sell off your lifetime collection...

I probably don't have near as many firearms as you do, (nor are they probably as nice as yours ) and picking one out to trade off or sell is like pulling a tooth for me.

I guess the older you get, the more your priorities change. I get why you're doing it, and it makes sense.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:11 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,376,225 times
Uh, with all this morbidity, if any of y'all with one or both feet in the grave want to Will your left over guns to me I will give them a good home.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:32 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,152,222 times
Quote:
.......Hey Bulldogdad........ I know you meant your post "in jest" (regarding the 'sympathy' part)..........but to 'make things totally clear'...........I'm the last one in the world to ever look for "sympathy'.....................On the contrary, I've been blessed during my life time in sooooo many different ways that I sometimes wonder if I truly deserve to be so "gifted by the MAN above"!!!!!!.....................
Being in my 83rd year and still be "alive & kickin' " is truly an exceptional accomplishment ---(for me) that I take NO CREDIT for......, and I thank HIM every day................
You were getting the campfire version of hunting camp group therapy in my previous post.

Quote:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
-Dylan Thomas

Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 PM

2,774 posts, read 3,684,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
You have good tastes. I'm sure the rest of the collection will fetch what you need to say goodbye. I've been stocking up for my kids since they were born and now that they are in their early 20's, it's time to hand them over to them. Went quick. The idea is that they would have a modicum of guns to start their own collections.

Each of them will get a shotgun or two, two pistols, some .22 rifles, and a few deer rifles. A start. After that, I'm going to start collecting the ones I've always wanted. A Tika, An M1 Springfield, Carbine, and the perfect .45 for me. I guess I'm really shifting but, in another 20 years I'll be handing those off as well.
That's my plan with my boys. Slowly build up a basic collection. They will be officially "mine" until they move out, but each of them will have their "own" set of guns. I'm thinking three rifles for each (.22LR for plinking, .223 for varmint/target, and a 7mm-08 for deer; all bolt action). Also good 9mm and .22LR pistols, a .38spcl or .357mag revolver, and a 20-ga pump. Maybe a semi-auto .22 rifle for plinking. At a minimum.

My oldest son already has a Marlin XT-22, and I'm getting him a Savage .223 for his next birthday. I may get a little Cricket .22 to teach my youngest on his next birthday (my oldest missed that stage because of the divorce; he's behind the curve on shooting skills, but we're catching up).

Hopefully in about 40 years I won't be in the OP's shoes with no one to share my hard-earned collection with. My oldest is a pure city boy, but my youngest shows promise to be an outdoorsman.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:59 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,551,587 times
Quote:
Well the time has come :

In the last six months I've gotten rid of: 375 H&H; Colt SSA 45 colt 7 1/2"; pair of Weatherby Athena O&U, 12 & 20; S&W Mdl 29 44 Mag; Sako Finnbear 7mm Mag; ---------hard to do, but daughter has no interest in them (and there "ain't no buddy else")..... and I don't want 'em sold for pennies/on/the/dollar after I'm gone........so I took the money and Pre-Paid my Funeral expenses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Always have been a "Planner" ........I'm not leavin' ANY TIME SOON.... BUT, it's just like havin' my .45 Sig on the night stand: "Better to have it there and not need it"-----than "Need it and not have it there

Gonna hang on to a few favorites (1961 Sako Forester 243; Rem 700 Alaskan in .338 and The Montana Centennial (1889/1989) 1 of 2000, 1886 Winchester in 45/70 (Plus my 1st gun in 1941: a Win Mdl 74 .22cal, and my last purchase: a Sig 1911 C3 45ACP...................the rest have gotta go!
She will take the Gun Safe though, all 900 pounds if it..HaHaHa

Also talked to Cabelas about maybe making a package deal on some mounted trophies..:Kodiak Bear, Caribou (2); Canadian Timber Wolf; Alaskan Moose; Canadian Black Bear; (2) Montana White Tail.) ............. Daughter just doesn't have room in her house.................

I've got no complaints, life's been good.....been damn lucky and my cup has ALWAYS been "Half-Full".

CARPE DIEM

very sad, I am giving all of my firearms to my daughters so they have firearms, ammo and magazines with no 4473's or any other kind of government paperwork attached.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,036,263 times
I'm much, much younger but already realize with a lot of these things like cars and guns that you are just the temporary owner and that probably everything eventually ends up as landfill.

So I think all you can do is enjoy it all while it lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or