U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:42 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's one additional thing that nobody ever thinks about but the cost of which is built into the product: insurance.

I'd be willing to bet that a company that makes a firearm accessory that has anything to do with the actual firing of the gun probably has to carry a pretty hefty liability insurance policy. Then there's the lawyers and other overhead that goes along with being the target of every anti-gun zealot out there. There's also a VERY limited market for them, so of course the prices will go up. It has to be worth their while to produce these things for such a small number of buyers.
Well, that limited market still has my NFA items tied up for 9+ months while I wait in line. The market is a lot larger than most people realize. It's big enough that the E-Form website died soon due to traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,896,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Well, that limited market still has my NFA items tied up for 9+ months while I wait in line. The market is a lot larger than most people realize. It's big enough that the E-Form website died soon due to traffic.
Well, consider that the people who brought you the health insurance exchange are also responsible for the E-Form website and long lines are a natural product of government registration. I agree that the market is larger than most people realize, but in our current legal environment there aren't enough customers to support an economy of scale. It's still basically a custom market.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Well, consider that the people who brought you the health insurance exchange are also responsible for the E-Form website and long lines are a natural product of government registration. I agree that the market is larger than most people realize, but in our current legal environment there aren't enough customers to support an economy of scale. It's still basically a custom market.

In 2013, 164,000 people filed Form 4's, most of which were for suppressors.

In 2013, 80,567 Camaros (all styles), and 77,186 Mustangs (all styles) were sold. A total of 157,753 vehicles between the two.

When you pull up to a redlight and see a Mustang or Camaro, do you think "small custom market, no economy of scale"?

I don't. I bet you think..."Damn things are everywhere. All the same. Everyone has one."

Old 10-08-2014, 09:16 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Quote:

In 2013, 80,567 Camaros (all styles), and 77,186 Mustangs (all styles) were sold. A total of 157,753 vehicles between the two.

When you pull up to a redlight and see a Mustang or Camaro, do you think "small custom market, no economy of scale"?

I don't. I bet you think..."Damn things are everywhere. All the same. Everyone has one."
The market that includes the Mustang and Camaro also include every other car under a certain price point.

A better comparison would be to a niche within a larger market. If you want to stick with cars, you could say that the silencer is to the gun industry as the built-up trail Jeep is to the motor vehicle industry. You see them around sometimes, but as a percentage of vehicles on the road, they're negligible.

And I'm familiar with NFA items, although I don't own any suppressors. The latest addition to my trust is a PS90, which I'm going to convert to a SBR.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The market that includes the Mustang and Camaro also include every other car under a certain price point.

A better comparison would be to a niche within a larger market. If you want to stick with cars, you could say that the silencer is to the gun industry as the built-up trail Jeep is to the motor vehicle industry. You see them around sometimes, but as a percentage of vehicles on the road, they're negligible.

And I'm familiar with NFA items, although I don't own any suppressors. The latest addition to my trust is a PS90, which I'm going to convert to a SBR.
Lets put it another way...

You won't put a better suppressor in your hands than one you can buy for around $1200 (metaphorically).

Old 10-09-2014, 08:53 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,896,365 times
Quote:

You're right that I don't think "small custom market" when I think about Camaros and Mustangs, but you may have just convinced me that I should. GM alone built 9.7 million vehicles in 2013, which would make the Camaro less than 1% of total output and probably an insignificant revenue stream relative to GM's gross...

In any event, I'm waiting impatiently for Texas to adopt a version of the Montana Firearms Freedom Act. That would be pretty cool.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
You're right that I don't think "small custom market" when I think about Camaros and Mustangs, but you may have just convinced me that I should. GM alone built 9.7 million vehicles in 2013, which would make the Camaro less than 1% of total output and probably an insignificant revenue stream relative to GM's gross...

In any event, I'm waiting impatiently for Texas to adopt a version of the Montana Firearms Freedom Act. That would be pretty cool.
Yeah, but you take that item out of Montana and see what happens. That is just a very thin line and I don't want to tread it. I'll pay my $200 and wait my 9 months. I have enough cans already that I don't yearn so much for the one I am waiting on. That's the secret!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:23 AM

805 posts, read 729,915 times
OP I seriously dought you have a [Mod cut] clue how difficult it is to machine onconel. And how much materials cost.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-09-2015 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-09-2015, 11:52 PM

5,998 posts, read 6,357,816 times
And here I thought all I needed to make a suppressor was an oil filter and a double nut, or a two liter soda bottle and some duck tape.

I saw it on youtube so it must be true!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
And here I thought all I needed to make a suppressor was an oil filter and a double nut, or a two liter soda bottle and some duck tape.

I saw it on youtube so it must be true!
The soda bottle thing is just full of fail.
The oil-filter sounds pretty good, but it's absurd as well. Makes seeing your sights rather difficult...
There is also a fair amount of argument that any spare oil filter on your property then becomes "suppressor parts" per the BATFE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting