U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:15 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times

Advertisements

The new AR is finished. Time to go shoot it. Reports to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 01:21 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,593,711 times
I did a straight up trade for a custom AR-15 with a guy. I had a Thompson Encore with 2 barrels, so we did an even up trade.

I didn't pay a lot of that Encore, so I'm not out much. The AR has the following:

Lower:

Bushmaster lower receiver( when the were made in Maine not the new ones
with problems)
Stock single stage trigger
Ergo adjustable grip
Magpul oversized trigger guard
Magpul 30rnd PMAG
Magpul PRS adjustable stock

Upper:
Bushmaster flat top upper receiver(newer production with designation
numbers on the rail.
White oaks National Match S.S. barrel. I inch under the hanguard and .750
from the gas block out.
Yankee hill customizable aluminum freefloat handguard w/ full length rail
on top and 3" rail on bottom for bi-pod.
Vltor low profile S.S. gas block
Rainer Arms S.S. flash hider/brake
Bushmaster bolt carrier and bolt

It's not been shot much at all. I've put maybe 300 rounds through it. Previous guy less than 100. He decided he wasn't interested in shooting a .223 any longer. One of my Encore barrels was a .338 WinMag so I said "You're in for a little recoil shock there brother"

I mounted a Nikon M-223 4x16 scope on it. My son and I easily hit gopher gongs at 300 yards with it. We hit the larger steel at 400 no problem.

At 100 yds I group less than 1" with Hornady 55gr ammo. I've got some heavier bullets I'm going to test next. I think with that twist heavier bullets might actually do better.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I did a straight up trade for a custom AR-15 with a guy. I had a Thompson Encore with 2 barrels, so we did an even up trade.

I didn't pay a lot of that Encore, so I'm not out much. The AR has the following:

Lower:

Bushmaster lower receiver( when the were made in Maine not the new ones
with problems)
Stock single stage trigger
Ergo adjustable grip
Magpul oversized trigger guard
Magpul 30rnd PMAG
Magpul PRS adjustable stock

Upper:
Bushmaster flat top upper receiver(newer production with designation
numbers on the rail.
White oaks National Match S.S. barrel. I inch under the hanguard and .750
from the gas block out.
Yankee hill customizable aluminum freefloat handguard w/ full length rail
on top and 3" rail on bottom for bi-pod.
Vltor low profile S.S. gas block
Rainer Arms S.S. flash hider/brake
Bushmaster bolt carrier and bolt

It's not been shot much at all. I've put maybe 300 rounds through it. Previous guy less than 100. He decided he wasn't interested in shooting a .223 any longer. One of my Encore barrels was a .338 WinMag so I said "You're in for a little recoil shock there brother"

I mounted a Nikon M-223 4x16 scope on it. My son and I easily hit gopher gongs at 300 yards with it. We hit the larger steel at 400 no problem.

At 100 yds I group less than 1" with Hornady 55gr ammo. I've got some heavier bullets I'm going to test next. I think with that twist heavier bullets might actually do better.
What's your twist? I'm assuming 1/7? That rate does do much better with 62 gr up. I've gotten my best with 77 gr Hornady hpbt. Bowler 69 hpbt is right there as well. My 1/9 ddoes its best with 62gr Hornady VMax. The latter is a 20" whilst my 1/7s are 16s.

Charts show that 1/7s start at 55 gr up, but my experiences start that rate at 62 for best performance. They place 55s OK, but 62s show a marked tightening at 100yds. Even with mil spec green tip. I have actually found this stuff to shoot quite well, considering its far from a "match grade" offering.

Playing with bullet weights and loadings is the funniest playground of the AR platform. Truthfully, I haven't found enough performance difference between "match" barrels and mil spec to justify the price differences. Since my budget precludes procuring a super high grade example of AR tube , though, I refrain from stating that as proven fact.

I only know that my rifles can run right with or even plumb outshoot my buddys Wilson Combat, chrome plated, fully illuminated, genuine hi grade "tactical" Star Wars model.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,593,711 times
It's a 1:7.

The last AR I had was 20 years ago, was a Colt HBAR and it was a great rifle. I used it at home as practice. I was on our units shooting team. Had all the ammo I could ever want to shoot, and I did.

I suspect the heavier weight bullets will do a smidge better. All I know is I hit the gongs at 300 yds with it using 55gr ammo, so it's pretty accurate.

Ironically I have no use for this thing. I shoot gophers in the yard with an old Winchester 75 target .22 using match grade ammo. Much quieter and more cost effective. I suspect I will be at the range one day punching holes with the AR and someone will want to horse trade, which I suspect I will entertain.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 AM

That does tend to happen. . As a general field rifle, and definitely my saddle rifle, my Marlin 95 45 Colt beats out my ARs. Plumb let hat out to 200 yds, heavy hitting power and a slim package. However, I do have much use to which my ARs get tasked. I won't be without at least one, preferably two.

Opportunistic trades are always considered. If someone ,say, admires one of my ARs on the range, and has a Belgian Hi Power they can't wait to get rid of, I'm ready. Lol

Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 PM

3,192 posts, read 4,234,611 times
Yep, market is soft now until the next mass shooting happens and people cry for gun control again. I bought my PSA before the CT shooting, though I should pick up another AR or two. What I've been looking for lately is an AK in 7.62x39.

Now my concern isn't the availability of the weapons themselves but my concern is ammo. .22lr is still difficult to find or overpriced when you do find it.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 PM

5,998 posts, read 6,363,201 times
Yep, now is the time to stock up! Those $400 guns will be $3,500 next time around.

Just wish I could find .22 for $14 a brick like it used to be.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Yep, market is soft now until the next mass shooting happens and people cry for gun control again. I bought my PSA before the CT shooting, though I should pick up another AR or two. What I've been looking for lately is an AK in 7.62x39.

Now my concern isn't the availability of the weapons themselves but my concern is ammo. .22lr is still difficult to find or overpriced when you do find it.
You can expect the market to harden like a teenager at the playboy mansion if Hillary wins the presidency. You still have some time to buy what you want at good prices, make use!

Old 11-16-2014, 07:13 AM

5,920 posts, read 10,444,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
You can expect the market to harden like a teenager at the playboy mansion if Hillary wins the presidency. You still have some time to buy what you want at good prices, make use!
I didn't have an AR before Sandy Hook & wasn't willing to pay $500 for a *stripped* lower after SH. In the time since then, I had plenty of time to research exactly what I wanted, using what happened after Sandy Hook to adjust the priorities of each purchase. For me - a gun without ammo (or with ammo @ $1 per bang!) was the big fear, so I started with a reloading press. components. Then I started looking for lowers & quality mags. I'm only now beginning to work on finished rifles & in fact, I just received my first upper in the mail yesterday - for a 9mm/AR that uses glock mags - (those have always been a "niche" gun & after Sandy Hook, there just weren't any for sale at any price)

I think the overwhelming issue for anyone who didn't have their complete "fun gun" collection before 2012 is prioritizing their purchases. Even living in a "free state", you have to understand that it's only a matter of time before the anti's get what they want - it might be 2 years or 10 years, (or they might try five times in the next ten years), but they're going to go after standard-capacity mags & AR & AK-pattern weapons. If you still have a right to own one in your state, they will never be cheaper than they are right now..

Old 11-16-2014, 07:27 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I didn't have an AR before Sandy Hook & wasn't willing to pay $500 for a *stripped* lower after SH. In the time since then, I had plenty of time to research exactly what I wanted, using what happened after Sandy Hook to adjust the priorities of each purchase. For me - a gun without ammo (or with ammo @ $1 per bang!) was the big fear, so I started with a reloading press. components. Then I started looking for lowers & quality mags. I'm only now beginning to work on finished rifles & in fact, I just received my first upper in the mail yesterday - for a 9mm/AR that uses glock mags - (those have always been a "niche" gun & after Sandy Hook, there just weren't any for sale at any price)

I think the overwhelming issue for anyone who didn't have their complete "fun gun" collection before 2012 is prioritizing their purchases. Even living in a "free state", you have to understand that it's only a matter of time before the anti's get what they want - it might be 2 years or 10 years, (or they might try five times in the next ten years), but they're going to go after standard-capacity mags & AR & AK-pattern weapons. If you still have a right to own one in your state, they will never be cheaper than they are right now..
Yep, the back-lash of the wind-down from SH and its impact on industry/production is resulting in a glut of cheap, HIGH quality rifles and components.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting