U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,896,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I guess my point is that a short skunk trap will safely trap a skunk, or a cat. They are live traps and humane. You need not cover the trap (tall traps, yes). You can safely catch cats or skunks, but the chance of raccoons going in, are slim. Unless it is a young coon.

By the way, instead of tomato juice, use douche. Works a lot better, cheaper too. That's the voice of experience talking. hahaha. A few years back my brother installed a dog door on his back door. I was visiting. We were sitting on the couch visiting and we heard a heck of a commotion out the back door. Suddenly his yelping dog come busting through the dog door with a skunk in hot persuit. It was not a good night. Dog was sprayed, the three of us were sprayed, carpet, couch, wall, it was a mess. Cleaned it all with Summers Eve.

I only mention this because invariably, in your endeavor, you are going to sooner or later, deal with a skunk.
Well... Apparently "douche" is one of my trigger words. I can't stop laughing. I'm sure it works, but it's just making me laugh really hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,845,522 times
Well writen short story Elk Hunter

Old 10-18-2014, 02:05 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,137,853 times
I think 7 x 7 is pretty small, even for a cat. I can't imagine a racoon getting in there but will probably try to grab the food from the outside through the bars. I trapped a few cats here on the bigger (11 or 12 x) one and didnt trap any racoons.

I did have a cat beat herself up pretty badly trying to get out. After that I only trapped when I was around and/or at least covered the cages.

I get a lot of skunks coming through - thank God that never happened. They'd have kicked me right out of my apt:/

Old 10-18-2014, 07:48 PM

343 posts, read 599,820 times
After 20 years in the pest control/ wildlife trapping business, let me offer this suggestion. If you trap a skunk in a hav-a-heart type trap, intentionally or otherwise, approach the trap holding a dark shower curtain or one of those blue tarps in front of you. Slowly drape the tarp over the trap and carry it, covered, to wherever you plan to release the animal. If the skunk should spray, it will hit the tarp, not you. And by covering the trap it calms the skunk so that it doesn't feel threatened. Just handle the covered trap as quietly and gently as possible.

I've handled more than 25 skunks over the years and never got sprayed using this approach.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:49 AM

15,901 posts, read 10,954,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm trapping feral cats my neighbor feeds to have them neutered/spayed so they don't reproduce, and I've discovered raccoons are part of the equation.

I found a two-for-one deal on traps. One large trap for larger rodents like raccoons and one smaller trap for small animals. I'm using the large trap to trap cats and discovered that a raccoon is eating the food left out for the cats at night. We caught a mother cat a couple of days ago, and she's currently recovering from her surgery. We're trying to catch her last kitten.

MY QUESTION: If I put out the small animal trap for the kitten, will a huge raccoon try to get into it? I don't want to deal with finding an injured raccoon in the trap some morning.
You don't need bait if you place the trap in a constiction such as a hole in a fence or narrow access to a building. Any scented food will bring critters far and near so the event almost become indiscriminate trapping.

There are ways to be a bit more discriminate.

Coons will prowl the neighborhood like feral cats looking for handouts. Coon operate mostly at night while feral cats usually work night and day. So you might just set for cats during the daylight hours or in places where cats congregate such as at the home of the person who feels sorry for them and keeps their numbers up.

Might try catnip in some traps, though a coon is very curious and may enter but catfood will definitely attract a coon.

Check your fish and game rules re trapped game/nuisance animals. some states like NJ changed their regs to read like 2,200 page legislation vs the short two paragrahs it used to be. You could be in trouble legally.

Now the young coons of the year make up the greatest numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or