U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2014, 06:46 PM
 
406 posts, read 235,674 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

I never paid over .88-.99 cents a box for .22, or $8.88-$9.99 a brick, and never will. Back in the day every single time I went to Wal-Mart or K-Mart I bought a brick. I've got enough stockpiled to last a lifetime. I can't see spending over $5-$6 a box for .22. I reload .38 special and 9mm for that or less. I reload .45 acp for less than $7. .40 S&W and 10mm about the same. .357 SIG for about $6 a box.

Good luck with the hunt fellas.....this old boy wants no part of it or the prices.

 
Old 12-07-2014, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,319 posts, read 8,323,453 times
Reputation: 6896
I hadn't bought a brick in many years - found 13 of 'em in the back of my closet a year or so ago - until today.

Was strolling by the Wallyworld ammo case a little while ago and saw 4 boxes of Winchester 36 grain copper plated hollowpoint, 333 rounds, for $14.97. Bought 3 boxes. Will give them as stocking stuffers for my three sons.

Counter guy said they only get them in about once a month.
 
Old 12-13-2014, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,964 posts, read 10,754,403 times
Reputation: 7242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
You most certainly did infer "dishonesty" by comparing my actions with "honest" men/women "who wanted to take their kids shooting".. that's an unwarranted & factually incorrect insult. While it might be fun to create a false dichotomy like that, the grumblers on these forums are grumpy old men, not "children". You aren't more "pious" than me because you "only" have 500 rounds of ammo. You can have all the ammo you want by paying the market-clearing price, or by doing some footwork, just like I've done.

Funny how many gun-nuts can whine about Obama being a "socialist" and also complain about a free market at the same time.

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, mr. "Sportsman"!
While you have every right to do whatever it is you're doing, Elkhunter is absolutely right. You are part of the problem. Own it.

If you have no quams about taking advantage of or exploiting the uninformed ( as only a sucker would pay the inflated prices you undoubtedly charge ) or the time constrained average Joe who has to work for a living, then go right ahead. That's capitalism baby. I wouldn't pay you a penny over $25 a brick. Hopefully the ignoramuses who buy your product, and who make your little enterprise possible, wisen up soon, for all of our sakes.
 
Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 PM
 
406 posts, read 235,674 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I hadn't bought a brick in many years - found 13 of 'em in the back of my closet a year or so ago - until today.

Was strolling by the Wallyworld ammo case a little while ago and saw 4 boxes of Winchester 36 grain copper plated hollowpoint, 333 rounds, for $14.97. Bought 3 boxes. Will give them as stocking stuffers for my three sons.

Counter guy said they only get them in about once a month.
I've got a .50 cal ammo can full of CCI Stingers alone. At least 40 boxes.....maybe even 50 or more. I bought those back when you could get them in the clear hard packs of 50 for $2.99-$3.99.

Regular .22s were $.88 to .$.99 cents a box......

Everybody and their brother has approached me to buy some since all this stuff started. Wishing, praying and hoping I will sell for old prices.....I just laugh and tell them straight up that there is NO WAY I will pay current .22 prices to restock what I have. $5 or more a box for freaking .22s is too much. I've got 9mm and .38 spl for less than that sitting right here that I reloaded with discount components.

I also figured if I felt sorry for some guys who continue to beg....somebody would turn around and be selling them for current prices. I don't want to support that activity either....so all you guys can thank me there too. You aren't getting rich off my ammo....I'll just keep it and shoot it myself for the rest of my life.
 
Old 12-14-2014, 11:02 PM
 
6,072 posts, read 2,798,149 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
While you have every right to do whatever it is you're doing, Elkhunter is absolutely right. You are part of the problem. Own it.

If you have no quams about taking advantage of or exploiting the uninformed ( as only a sucker would pay the inflated prices you undoubtedly charge ) or the time constrained average Joe who has to work for a living, then go right ahead. That's capitalism baby. I wouldn't pay you a penny over $25 a brick. Hopefully the ignoramuses who buy your product, and who make your little enterprise possible, wisen up soon, for all of our sakes.
Where in this country can you go, day in and day out, and buy .22 LR for $25/brick?
 
Old 12-14-2014, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 36,372,422 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Where in this country can you go, day in and day out, and buy .22 LR for $25/brick?
Sheridan Wyoming, Buffalo Wyoming. Haven't looked anywhere else because it can be found at both of those locations. What is funny is, the gun shops have .22lr, not always, but more often than not. However, WalMart still does not have .22lr, nor do they have much of anything else. No .40 cal, .45 ACP, .25-06, .243, .270, .30-06. Nothing common, but then again, they were usually out before the crunch started. Some times they would have ammo, but only one choice. WalMart here, sucks.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
 
Old 12-15-2014, 10:33 AM
 
6,072 posts, read 2,798,149 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sheridan Wyoming, Buffalo Wyoming. Haven't looked anywhere else because it can be found at both of those locations. What is funny is, the gun shops have .22lr, not always, but more often than not. However, WalMart still does not have .22lr, nor do they have much of anything else. No .40 cal, .45 ACP, .25-06, .243, .270, .30-06. Nothing common, but then again, they were usually out before the crunch started. Some times they would have ammo, but only one choice. WalMart here, sucks.
Elk, if you can get it day in and day out at that price, you are very lucky, as that isn't the case in much (most?) of the rest of the country.

The point is, that while a few retailers are selling .22 at that price, the current market equilibrium price is double that. It seems that the majority of people that are upset about the .22 situation don't understand that the market price has changed. It's kind of like saying, "Milk used to cost $1/gallon. I'll be damned if I'll pay the $3/gallon that stores are asking now!"
 
Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Ohio
13,964 posts, read 10,754,403 times
Reputation: 7242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Elk, if you can get it day in and day out at that price, you are very lucky, as that isn't the case in much (most?) of the rest of the country.

The point is, that while a few retailers are selling .22 at that price, the current market equilibrium price is double that. It seems that the majority of people that are upset about the .22 situation don't understand that the market price has changed. It's kind of like saying, "Milk used to cost $1/gallon. I'll be damned if I'll pay the $3/gallon that stores are asking now!"
Correct.... the market price has changed because of the buyers who buy up everything they can to the point that it's hard to find, and then re-sell it at exponentially higher prices.. Other than that, there is absolutely no other substantive reason for the change.

Following your gallon-of-milk example, there are many factors that influence the rising cost of milk. Cost of labor, fuel prices, supply, etc. are all factors that are relevant to the normal fluctuations in the price of milk, and most other products for that matter. However, it's not those normal factors that have driven the cost of .22lr up so high. What has happened with .22lr, would be the equivalent of 1 or 2 large companies buying up all the supply of milk so that it couldn't be purchased from anyone but them, and then arbitrarily raising the prices to whatever they want to charge, because after all, they're the only ones who have it, so if you want it, you'll have to pay whatever they decide to charge. THAT is the difference TaxPhd.
 
Old 12-16-2014, 06:55 AM
 
Location: WI
3,820 posts, read 8,892,530 times
Reputation: 2257
finding ammo on the shelf in brick and mortar locations every day may not happen for many out there depending on their locations, but near every day of the week at least one of the major retailers has had .22 online at some point. And this time of year many offer free shipping (often with low or no minimums). I'll only speak for myself, but this month i've been able to get both cci and federal 'bricks' delivered in the .07-.08 price point which for me is more then ok these days. Chains from Gander to Academy to Cabelas, likely others as well are ones to watch. And yes, luck is involved, no different than walking into a store at "the right time".....

I wasnt in this hobby back when many of you all on this forum were able to buy ammo any day and at low prices, so have had to learn to be a little more disciplined in my online searching. And no i dont buy to hoard, i buy as this is a hobby to me and i enjoy hitting the range where 200+ rounds each visit is very easy to run thru. So 2 boxes from Gander means i have a couple more visits covered.

I wanted to add, I've talked with some guys who arent much into online shopping, say its a waste of their time to sit on a pc. Yet they can be one of those driving from store to store looking for ammo. Again, takes being in the right place at the right time whether in person or online, but this time of year (with free shipping especially) is a great time to be on the lookout.
 
Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM
 
6,072 posts, read 2,798,149 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Correct.... the market price has changed because of the buyers who buy up everything they can to the point that it's hard to find, and then re-sell it at exponentially higher prices.. Other than that, there is absolutely no other substantive reason for the change.
The problem with this analysis is that buyers aren't buying up everything they can find. There is (nearly) plenty of ammo available at the market price of $50/brick. If your analysis were correct, we would see ALL of that ammo being immediately bought up and then sold for $90/brick. But that clearly isn't happening. There is a VERY small amount of .22 ammo being sold at retail for $25/brick, because that price is so far below equilibrium. There is an even smaller portion of that ammo that was originally sold at retail for $25 that subsequently makes it way into the market at $50. MOST ammo is initially sold by retailers (not ammo "price gougers") at $50. That you believe that that very small amount of "flipped" ammo is what is making the current equilibrium price is pretty naive.

Quote:
Following your gallon-of-milk example, there are many factors that influence the rising cost of milk. Cost of labor, fuel prices, supply, etc. are all factors that are relevant to the normal fluctuations in the price of milk, and most other products for that matter. However, it's not those normal factors that have driven the cost of .22lr up so high.
People get all hung up on whether or not the current supply/demand situation is normal or not. Does it matter? Whether it is normal or not, the market price is what it is. And it is pretty much in equilibrium at $50/brick.

Quote:
What has happened with .22lr, would be the equivalent of 1 or 2 large companies buying up all the supply of milk so that it couldn't be purchased from anyone but them, and then arbitrarily raising the prices to whatever they want to charge, because after all, they're the only ones who have it, so if you want it, you'll have to pay whatever they decide to charge. THAT is the difference TaxPhd.
I already addressed this earlier in this post, but it bears repeating. We don't have 1 or 2 large companies buying all the ammo, cornering the market, and re-selling at a higher price, as you contend. We have a large number of people buying a VERY small amount of ammo (the small portion of the total .22 ammo supply that is being sold at retail for $25), and a few of them re-selling it for $50. The vast majority of ammo being sold today is sold at retail for the equilibrium price of $50.

The sentence is red is rather telling, when it comes to your argument, and that of many others. If what you say in red is correct, why don't these evil ammo re-sellers sell their .22 ammo for $100/brick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top