U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,584,566 times

Advertisements

Don't buy there.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,310,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You still don't want to answer the question, do you?
Quote:
Why don't these evil ammo re-sellers sell their .22
ammo for $100/brick?

Where were you back in the early months of 2013. I saw bricks going for more than that.

As the panic buying dies down, so to does the price that they can charge, where it will eventually make it's way back down to ordinary prices, barring any unforeseen extraordinary circumstances, such as the ones that drove the price up to begin with.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-19-2014 at 01:13 AM..

Old 12-19-2014, 10:30 AM

3,805 posts, read 8,506,316 times
Quote:
Went to Cabella's today, and they got in a shipment of .22 ammo. CCI, in 50 round boxes. Price? $4.99. I thought it must be a mistake, as we have been told here that $.10/round is not market price, and it is charged only by the evil ammo flippers, not regular large retailers.

Plenty of ammo at $.10/round. Good luck finding it at $.05/round.

that likely was the std vel which has been higher then other .22 over the past months; but again ammo has been available online at major retailers (Academy, Gander, etc) in recent days for roughly .05-.07 +/- for Fed automatch and i picked up some CCI AR .22 for .08 recently as well.
Doesnt mean its on the shelf if one were to walk into their brick/mortar location or that it lasts online when offered but it can be had.
I doubt i'm the only one around who was able to buy a box at those prices....... and even if a limit of 1, its still 300-325 rounds to hit the range with.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:38 PM

5,220 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Where were you back in the early months of 2013. I saw bricks going for more than that.

As the panic buying dies down, so to does the price that they can charge, where it will eventually make it's way back down to ordinary prices, barring any unforeseen extraordinary circumstances, such as the ones that drove the price up to begin with.
So, is it safe to say that a seller will not likely be successful if they try to sell their ammo at too high a price point? That they are, in fact, constrained by market conditions?

But previously in this thread, you said that they could sell for what ever price they wanted to:

Quote:
. . .and then arbitrarily raising the prices to whatever they want to charge, because after all, they're the only ones who have it, so if you want it, you'll have to pay whatever they decide to charge.
So, which is it? Can retailers and the evil ammo flippers get whatever price they want, or are they constrained by market conditions?

Old 12-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
that likely was the std vel which has been higher then other .22 over the past months; but again ammo has been available online at major retailers (Academy, Gander, etc) in recent days for roughly .05-.07 +/- for Fed automatch and i picked up some CCI AR .22 for .08 recently as well.
Doesnt mean its on the shelf if one were to walk into their brick/mortar location or that it lasts online when offered but it can be had.
I doubt i'm the only one around who was able to buy a box at those prices....... and even if a limit of 1, its still 300-325 rounds to hit the range with.
There isn't any ammo currently available online at either Gander or Academy at .05-.07/round.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:48 PM

Midsouth has some at just over .10/round.

Tactical 22 LR 40 Grain Target Lead Round Nose 50 Rounds by NORMA

Old 12-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
So, is it safe to say that a seller will not likely be successful if they try to sell their ammo at too high a price point? That they are, in fact, constrained by market conditions?

But previously in this thread, you said that they could sell for what ever price they wanted to:

So, which is it? Can retailers and the evil ammo flippers get whatever price they want, or are they constrained by market conditions?
Of course they're constrained by market conditions, whether those conditions be regular, or irregular. The market conditions we're seeing now are irregular and temporary.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Of course they're constrained by market conditions, whether those conditions be regular, or irregular. The market conditions we're seeing now are irregular and temporary.
So ammo sellers can't, as you said, sell it for whatever they want to?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
So ammo sellers can't, as you said, sell it for whatever they want to?
I never meant to say they could just put any price on it they like. As long as there are other viable competitive prices out there, they're limited in what they can charge. However, when there was no other ammo to be found, then yes, they could and did charge whatever they wanted, limited only by their competition, and what people would reasonably pay. Now that .22 has bounced back a little, and you can find it for $50 a brick at most gun shops, of course the amount they can charge has gone down a bit, and will probably continue to go down until it makes it way to where it was pre-Sandy Hook.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I never meant to say they could just put any price on it they like. As long as there are other viable competitive prices out there, they're limited in what they can charge. However, when there was no other ammo to be found, then yes, they could and did charge whatever they wanted, limited only by their competition, and what people would reasonably pay. Now that .22 has bounced back a little, and you can find it for $50 a brick at most gun shops, of course the amount they can charge has gone down a bit, and will probably continue to go down until it makes it way to where it was pre-Sandy Hook.
So, with that being said, is the current market price of .22 ammo closer to $50/brick, or $24-25/brick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or