Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 AM

44 posts, read 78,551 times

Advertisements

I am a responsible 29 year old mother of 2 living in Illinois. I would like to apply for a foid card to be able to own a small handgun for protection of my home. I have no criminal record except for a burglary charge from when I was 17. A so called friend of mine stole from the mall, and me being the oldest one - was charged with the crime as well. I plead not guilty and wanted a trial but my mother told me to just take the probation and plead guilty- which I did unfortunately. It shows up as a felony on my record.
Ive read that anyone with a felony conviction cannot receive a foid card. Is there any chance I could still be granted one since I was 17 when charged with this or am I forever unable to protect my family now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezdrama View Post
I am a responsible 29 year old mother of 2 living in Illinois. I would like to apply for a foid card to be able to own a small handgun for protection of my home. I have no criminal record except for a burglary charge from when I was 17. A so called friend of mine stole from the mall, and me being the oldest one - was charged with the crime as well. I plead not guilty and wanted a trial but my mother told me to just take the probation and plead guilty- which I did unfortunately. It shows up as a felony on my record.
Ive read that anyone with a felony conviction cannot receive a foid card. Is there any chance I could still be granted one since I was 17 when charged with this or am I forever unable to protect my family now?

have you checked with the authorities in your state? That will be the best spot to get the most accurate information.
And if conceal carry is out of the question in your situation, perhaps look at other self defense options that may be available to you (again checking IL laws) such as pepper spray, etc

Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 AM

Im not even necessarily wanting to carry, just to have a self defense pistol at my home.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
As a new transplant to the great state of Washington (Go I-594!!)...all I can suggest is doing some research online (just Google "Gun laws for IL") or go to your county courthouse website to find out if you can legally purchase a handgun with your record.

For the record...that was sarcasm folks. I am not a fan of the new, poorly worded, rambling, unenforceable "law" here.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:57 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
If it is an issue , check into having a lawyer get your juvenile record expunged. Then basically your record is clean like it never happened.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 AM

OP,
at a conceal carry permit class i just took here in WI, one of the classmates had stated he was finally able again to own a handgun and apply for a permit; that it was a long hard road but he got there. We did not ask him for details, but obviously he was able to get thru something that happened in his past that affected his gun ownership/carry rights.
What happens in another state means nothing in IL: of course, but as another poster stated look into your juvenile record if that truly is an issue for you now. But until you talk to the actual IL dept that oversees this, you wont have any final details or answers.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Get a shotgun or bear spray.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Get a shotgun or bear spray.
In Illinois you can't buy, or even posses ANY firearm including a shotgun without a valid FOI (Fire Arms Identification) card issued by the Illinois State Police.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Yeah,
Ive been searching google allday with no definative answer.
I guess I will just send in the application and see how it goes.

Although ... I dont know whether to just not mention the incident on my application or mention it but state it happened when I was a minor.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezdrama View Post
Yeah,
Ive been searching google allday with no definative answer.
I guess I will just send in the application and see how it goes.

Although ... I dont know whether to just not mention the incident on my application or mention it but state it happened when I was a minor.

why not just contact the IL state police dept directly (if they are who controls firearm licensing/approvals)? That way you know once and for all what your specific situation is, and what options you may or may not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting