U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:02 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Nope.....sorry......not even close.

Most around here wear camo.........and some orange.
We hunt deep and pretty much (besides the opener) these guys are pretty savvy and know what they are doing, as in, not going to mistake a hunter for a Deer. For that matter why don't they make motor cycle riders, Mt bike rider and hikers wear orange? There is nothing keeping others out of the Forest during hunting season. I think the orange law is stupid. It should be voluntary.

I'd be more worried about some knucklehead that thinks if it's not wearing orange just shoot and sort it out later because of it being a "law". If everyone had to "think" first that there is other people, horses, dogs in the area I'd hope they'd be less trigger happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 06:48 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,241,247 times
My husband hunts only our land and other private land.

We bought 500 acres from the state in the Michigan UP.

We live on 100 acres and own 80 more near by.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:37 PM

10,943 posts, read 14,584,566 times
I wear orange (and would by choice). Heck it's the most common color besides blue denim in MT, lol.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 AM

656 posts, read 954,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I wear orange (and would by choice). Heck it's the most common color besides blue denim in MT, lol.
I always wear orange if I am out and around anywhere there might be hunters during hunting season. I routinely wear orange if I am hiking in a state park during bow season since most allow bowhunting. I even wear orange on my own property if I am back in the woods during deer season because you never know if somebody might be just the other side of the property line hunting or tracking a wounded deer. It's not like wearing an orange coat is any more of an inconvenience than wearing a coat of a different color.

Orange is about the second most popular color where I live. Number one by a long shot is camouflage, no matter the time of the year. It could be March where there's really no season for anything and many people still wear something with camo on it..

Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,241,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
I always wear orange if I am out and around anywhere there might be hunters during hunting season. I routinely wear orange if I am hiking in a state park during bow season since most allow bowhunting. I even wear orange on my own property if I am back in the woods during deer season because you never know if somebody might be just the other side of the property line hunting or tracking a wounded deer. It's not like wearing an orange coat is any more of an inconvenience than wearing a coat of a different color.

Orange is about the second most popular color where I live. Number one by a long shot is camouflage, no matter the time of the year. It could be March where there's really no season for anything and many people still wear something with camo on it..
Camo is always in fashion where we live too.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:21 AM

56 posts, read 23,606 times
This happens very rarely, because shooting at an exact point needs very concentration and precise observation. And the next important point is the height of the deer and man are not same.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,253,259 times
"COULD"? Sure! A hunter "could" get struck by lightning too or be killed in a car wreck on the way to or from...I'm not sure the point of this question. Lot's of things "could" happen.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Really old thread.

Hunting injuries happen every year. The problem with the OP's assumptions is that most (all?) states require orange clothing during rifle season. The "full camo perfectly still hunter" mostly only occurs during archery season. Archers have to pay much more attention to shot placement and the range is very limited, so accidental archery shootings are quite rare.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:39 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,154,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Is there a danger risk to a deer hunter of being shot by another hunter?
The overwhelming cause of death for hunters hunting deer is falling asleep in the stand without wearing a safety harness. It should also be noted that deer/vehicle collisions kill far more people every year than hunting accidents.

If you are serious about deer hunting and concerned about getting shot in the field, the best solution is to follow some basic safety rules:

1. Hunt from a stand.
2. Wear an approved safety harness.
3. ALWAYS wear hunter orange.

Hunting from a stand ensures that your bullets are on a downward trajectory which greatly reduces their lethal range and removes you from the possibility of getting shot by someone still hunting on the ground. Wearing a safety harness ensures you wont break your neck if you fall out of your tree stand, and wearing the mandatory hunter orange during the gun hunt ensures you are easily seen by other hunters in the field.

The reason a hunters gets shot in the field is almost always related to either one of these reasons, failing to follow basic firearms safety and/or alcohol. Personally, I have been hunting deer for years and getting shot on the hunt is the very least of my concerns in the field. I don't know about other jurisdictions, but here in Ontario hunting is one of the safest pastimes one can engage in. YMMV.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 PM

396 posts, read 337,354 times
I had a patient in ER once, a deer hunter, who shot himself in the butt when he got into his truck and sat on his rifle. At least, that's the story he gave us. I guess it's possible but lots of beer drinking was going on within the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or