U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 PM
 
Location: West Phoenix
769 posts, read 889,444 times
Reputation: 1894

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You can't tell people not to post. This is an open forum and as long as people stay within the TOS, they're going to post. Positive, or negative.
True,
But what is he gaining other than to see his words on the screen, it is not productive in any way.

To me it is the same as if someone put up a post saying there is free ice cream, and he responds that he cannot eat ice cream and it upsets his stomach. What did that have to do with anything about free ice cream ? nothing, he just wanted to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Reputation: 17978
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
each one to take 2 anti gunners to the range and let them share in our hobby. I know we all have different interests in shooting, some hunt, some shoot trap, some shoot pistols, some do a little of everything.
Lets make them eat their words.
Let them buy there own guns and ammo. Prices already have gone out of sight because of demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,166 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Reputation: 11834
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
True,
But what is he gaining other than to see his words on the screen, it is not productive in any way.

To me it is the same as if someone put up a post saying there is free ice cream, and he responds that he cannot eat ice cream and it upsets his stomach. What did that have to do with anything about free ice cream ? nothing, he just wanted to complain.
My goodness! You just don't get it, or are extremely "sensitive." You posted a challenge to all in this forum to take some "antis to the range." Not all of us accepted the challenge. I specifically told you why I don't take anybody to the range other than my family and close friends, and proceeded to explain my reasons. That's not being negative at all. In fact your comment about the antis "eating their own words" is more negative than my answer can ever be.
And I agree with Texdav; ammo is just too expensive.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-05-2014 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Ohio
13,951 posts, read 10,310,168 times
Reputation: 7232
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
True,
But what is he gaining other than to see his words on the screen, it is not productive in any way.

To me it is the same as if someone put up a post saying there is free ice cream, and he responds that he cannot eat ice cream and it upsets his stomach. What did that have to do with anything about free ice cream ? nothing, he just wanted to complain.
And what have you gained by completely derailing your own thread????? This thread is no longer about taking an anti to the range, it's about why you think RayinAK shouldn't have posted.

Unsubscribed.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Reputation: 4236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I have tried to get my Mom and my sister to go shooting no dice.

Re-reading good question on what caliber for 1st timers. I own a pocket rocket .380 LCP and SW .357.

I would not allow any woman or teen to shoot my . 357 too much power and recoil. The .380 is tricky because if you have big hands you have to 1 hand shoot.
See my post on the second page about appropriate weapons and protection. I was at a public range last year. We had it alone for a while, then an entire family arrived. An adult man, his wife, a teen boy, and the man's mother. They were shooting a full-sized .40S&W, a .357Mag, and a pocket-sized .380ACP, none of which were appropriate for inexperienced shooters. They did not have ear or eye protection of any kind. The women were totally miserable. The mom tried shooting the .380 mouse gun, managed one magazine, then sat huddled on the bench with her hands over her ears. Luckily I had couple of spare ear plugs so my wife and I switched to plugs and loaned our muffs to the mom and wife (who swapped back and forth with her son). The look of utter relief on the mom's face was almost heart-breaking. Just before they left we let them shoot a few mags through a S&W 22A (semi-auto target-style .22LR) and my wife's PK380 (somewhat compact, but a full grip and recoil-reducing locked breech operation). They loved it. If we hadn't done this, both women would have left that range hating guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I've got a better idea, if we each take two anti-gunner to the range, they can hold our targets, and... well...
Comments like these are one of the reasons anti-gun types have such sway.
Me, elsewhere on this forum: "Most gun owners are reasonable, responsible people."
Anti-gun activist: "Oh yeah? What about this post from the 'Guns and Hunting' forum?"

Imagine a reasonable anti-gun person who is only anti-gun because they've never been around them and get all their info from liberal media and web sites. Let's say he finds this thread, is intrigued about being able to fire a gun and see for himself what the big deal is about, then finds the burst of intellect quoted above. Kinda like the loose collection of brain cells yelling "pretend you're aiming at Obama" while Romney was being filmed at a publicity stunt at a gun range back in 2012. If you want more restrictive gun laws, then keep making comments like these. Threatening to shoot people is a good way to get your guns taken away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Reputation: 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
...........Imagine a reasonable anti-gun person who is only anti-gun because they've never been around them and get all their info from liberal media and web sites. Let's say he finds this thread, is intrigued about being able to fire a gun and see for himself what the big deal is about, then finds the burst of intellect quoted above. Kinda like the loose collection of brain cells yelling "pretend you're aiming at Obama" while Romney was being filmed at a publicity stunt at a gun range back in 2012. If you want more restrictive gun laws, then keep making comments like these. Threatening to shoot people is a good way to get your guns taken away.
Well, as I said.......it's what I do.

Now, if anyone asked me who I was aiming at, I probably couldn't tell them.

But, as said, all my shooting is at silhouettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Reputation: 4236
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, as I said.......it's what I do.

Now, if anyone asked me who I was aiming at, I probably couldn't tell them.

But, as said, all my shooting is at silhouettes.
I shoot at silhouettes when I'm training with a pistol. Semi-rapid fire to work on target re-acquisition and repeatedly bringing the gun up to the target with or without firing. I'd guarantee I'm no-where near as good as you (I only started self-defense training a few years ago, and I don't have the time or bullet money to train regularly), but I'm improving. I also work to improve one-shot carefully aimed fire, but as a civilian I see little point in precision shooting with a self-defense handgun.

I actually don't picture anyone as the target. It's just a target. If asked, my answer would be that, or maybe "generic mugger or home invader".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Reputation: 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I shoot at silhouettes when I'm training with a pistol. Semi-rapid fire to work on target re-acquisition and repeatedly bringing the gun up to the target with or without firing. I'd guarantee I'm no-where near as good as you (I only started self-defense training a few years ago, and I don't have the time or bullet money to train regularly), but I'm improving. I also work to improve one-shot carefully aimed fire, but as a civilian I see little point in precision shooting with a self-defense handgun.

I actually don't picture anyone as the target. It's just a target. If asked, my answer would be that, or maybe "generic mugger or home invader".
Funny you should put it that way. With my AR-10, all I really need to do is to hit "him", to knock him down. Whether I might put him in a coffin or a wheelchair, all I really need to do as a civilian is to stop him.

But that may be a point that as civilians, to a non shooter, we shouldn't think that way.......but as shooters who know that life, we do think that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 04:28 PM
 
5,445 posts, read 4,393,490 times
Reputation: 14992
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Funny you should put it that way. With my AR-10, all I really need to do is to hit "him", to knock him down. Whether I might put him in a coffin or a wheelchair, all I really need to do as a civilian is to stop him.

But that may be a point that as civilians, to a non shooter, we shouldn't think that way.......but as shooters who know that life, we do think that way.
Having served in the military, you are trained that there is no such thing as a warning shot. You do not shoot to maim or shoot to knock back. You shoot to kill and that is it. I believe police are trained the same way. If they have to fire their pistol or rifle, they shoot to kill. If the scenario calls for other measures, they have their Taser. It is tough for people who haven't had this type of training to understand this. It is always easy for a couch quarterback who hasn't had any training to say "why didn't you just shoot him in the arm or leg? Why did you have to kill him?" These people have no clue.

You mention with your AR that all you need to do is knock him down, but when you are aiming the rifle, you aim for areas that if hit, will kill the intruder. If the round doesn't kill him and he lives, so be it, but him living wasn't your intent.

As to the OP, if a friend asks me to go to the range, I'll take them, but I'm definitely not going to seek people out who don't believe in guns to go to the range. If people are Rounds are expensive and then there is the safety aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Reputation: 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
.......You shoot to kill and that is it. I believe police are trained the same way. If they have to fire their pistol or rifle, they shoot to kill.........
"Shoot to stop".

Shoot to kill gets one hard to defend law suits.

The end result between the two approaches might differ little but operating under "shoot to kill" will, for most types, put one in a very unfavorable position in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top