Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 11:34 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times

Advertisements

Last week we took a quick trip to New Hampshire and came back home stopping in Freeport Maine at the LL Bean stores. I checked out the rifles and saw something unusual in the preowned racks. It was a double barrel side by side 30/06 It was a very lite gun with a short stock and very small forward stock. The rifle cracked at the breech like a shotgun and had double triggers.
What an odd arrangement I thought. I cannot remember who made this gun but it was interesting.
I should have snapped a photo of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:08 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Last week we took a quick trip to New Hampshire and came back home stopping in Freeport Maine at the LL Bean stores. I checked out the rifles and saw something unusual in the preowned racks. It was a double barrel side by side 30/06 It was a very lite gun with a short stock and very small forward stock. The rifle cracked at the breech like a shotgun and had double triggers.
What an odd arrangement I thought. I cannot remember who made this gun but it was interesting.
I should have snapped a photo of it.

just a double barreled rifle. most times these are considered older style hunting rifles. I know someone who has a 8 bore double rifle with rifelings included.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:38 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
It's a drilling rifle. Mainly European but they are very handy for heavy caliber rounds. The action is incredibly stout and withstands tremendous recoil.

I just sold a Savage 2400 which was made by Valmet of Finland (a renowned firearm manufacturer). It was an O/U drilling with a .308 under a 12 ga. Very short barrels, very quick and handy. I simply had no use for it. I would consider finding a used Valmet 412 as the barrel combinations are much more desirable.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's a drilling rifle. Mainly European but they are very handy for heavy caliber rounds. The action is incredibly stout and withstand tremendous recoil.
No. A drilling, from German drei, has three barrels. They normally have either two shot barrels and a rifle barrel or two rifle barrrels and a shot barrel. Dickson made a gun with three shot barrels. I can't even imagine what regulating those barrels must have been like.

There are also vierlings, four barreled guns. The fourth barrel is normally a small caliber centerfire.

Some of these guns are very light. I have seen a drilling with two 9mm rimfire shot barrels over a rifled 6mm BB cap bbl. Sadly, another chap had already bought it.

Double rifles once offered the most reliable second shot. Even after the production of reliable bolt actions in heavy chamberings, many traditionalists preferred them.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 11-04-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 11-04-2014, 06:17 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No. A drilling, from German drei, has three barrels. They normally have either two shot barrels and a rifle barrel or two rifle barrrels and a shot barrel. Dickson made a gun with three shot barrels. I can't even imagine what regulating those barrels must have been like.

There have also vierlings, four barreled guns. The fourth barrel is normally a small caliber enterfire.

Some of these guns are very light. I have seen a drilling with two 9mm rimfire shot barrels over a rifled 6mm BB cap bbl. Sadly, another chap had already bought it.

Double rifles once offered the most reliable second shot. Even after the production of reliable bolt actions in heavy chamberings, many traditionalists preferred them.
Ah thank-you, I stand corrected. I have heard the combo double guns referred as drillings in the past.. Makes perfect sense now, maybe I missed on the 3 barrel part of it..

They are an interesting design. The Savage 2400 I had allowed the user to regulate the .308 barrel with adjustments for windage and elevation. The 12ga barrel was spot on- I busted several ducks and lots of clays with it.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
30 or so years ago I saw a side-by-side double rifle in 303 British. Should have bought it really. I think I remember the price was about $1750, at the time.

Side by side rifles have to be regulated for a specific bullet weight. Even if you handload, you will find you have to use a specific load of powder with each different bullet weight to get the barrels to converge on target.

Regulating the barrels is one reason that double rifles cost so much.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:35 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Another type of "combination" gun is called a: "Cape Gun"........................

I have one in 7mm x 57 R (Rimmed version of the 7x57 Mauser) over a 16 Ga shotgun barrel. Mfg in Germany....pre WWII. A very handy "O&U" type gun well suited for hunting where the hunter may encounter some form of "huntable bird" while Deer hunting.....either from a tree-stand or from stalking etc.
Five years ago I harvested both a wild turkey and a White Tail deer in a 2 hour span from a tree-stand here locally in the Bitterroot.

................."Once a gun-nut...............always a gun-nut"

Last edited by Montana Griz; 11-08-2014 at 11:11 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 PM

635 posts, read 784,205 times
I once had a man in Germany show me his rifle. It was like that. A large caliber rifle for hunting in Africa, Very pricey. He told me of going on safari for two months. The rifle was all engraved. Impressive.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Guns are cool and some are real engineering marvels and some are works of art. I knew that double barreled rifle was something unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting