U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:57 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times

Advertisements

For home defense, go with a compact rifle. Much easier for beginners to shoot, recoil is low, follow up shots are easier to put on target, much higher mag capacity, wounding potential... it's a no brainer.

Only time you should rely on a pistol is when you can't have a rifle around, like CC'ing out in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:59 AM

672 posts, read 582,540 times
From a female novice point of view, start simple (double action revolver) and start small (caliber, that is, .22, .25), and I echo the advice of going to a range where she can explore a variety of guns. I would also suggest that you book instructor time with her, so she isn't intimidated by having Dad there (unless she would rather have you teach her). Once she is comfortable with that, move up.

Nothing turns a person off of shooting more than being given a gun that is too large (or conversely, too small, some of those CC type single action or semi pistols kick harder than a person might be prepared for), too powerful or too complicated to start out with, and getting the kick of something like a short barrel .45, or an improperly shouldered 12 ga leaving a bruise, or getting scoped can make a person so nervous that they can't properly fire a weapon. I find that I have a hard time with the grip and the action of some high capacity pistols, like the .45 S/A XDM for example, they are just too wide to comfortably grip for me and the action is akward. I would hate to be relying on that in a moment of panic.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:35 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
This is from another almost identical thread from a while back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
If she is new to guns, let her shoot a DA revolver. No magazines to load, no slide to rack, no safety to deal with. Someone going after a woman alone is looking for a soft target, so the arguments about needing 15+ rounds are mostly bogus.

The Ruger LCR (lightweight hammerless .38Spcl) is an excellent carry gun, but do NOT let this be the first revolver she ever fires. It it quite snappy because of the light weight, and can actually be painful with lots of shooting. But in a self-defense situation she won't care, and because it is so light and small the might actually carry it with her.

And since you're looking at .380s, you should consider the Walther PK380. Very easy for my wife to rack (an old injury means left arm is really weak), and light recoil.

I'll also second the comments about getting two guns; one for carry, one for home. Different locations, different situations, different needs. Compact and light for carry, larger and more powerful for home.

Finally, where is she going to school, and are firearms even allowed? Does she have/need a carry permit? Does her apartment complex allow weapons?
I still recommend the Ruger LCR for carry, but if she is truly new to guns you should maybe look at one chambered in .22 WMR (.22 Mag). Also make sure you buy dedicated self-defense bullets from Speer or Hornady instead of whatever's on the shelf of the local Walmart.

Obviously if she can handle more size/recoil then she should use a larger caliber. But on every day of the week an expanded .22"+ hole in a bad buy is better than a miss with a .45ACP from flinching, or a call to 911.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:53 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I strongly disagree, as does the US Military, FBI, and Dr. Roberts, who is the very tip of the spear in forensic terminal ballistics. 9mm works just fine.

(a 9mm will certainly penetrate a rib...seriously?)
That's your opinion. Seal team and other special forces have all gone to .40 cal. hmmmm, I wonder why? Must have been a reason.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
I am looking to purchase a firearm for home defense for my daughter. Never shot beforehand, really has no knowledge on firearms/cleaning/etc. What would you all recommend for an easy to use and not very intimidating option? Just wants to have one just in case, but one that will be effective if she ever needs it.

Lots of proper training and practice before you even think about making a purchase of a firearm for someone so inexperienced.
AFTER the training and practice her trainer can give her recommendations as to a weapon they feel she can handle well and be comfortable with.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:19 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's your opinion. Seal team and other special forces have all gone to .40 cal. hmmmm, I wonder why? Must have been a reason.
It works better when shooting through glass. 9mm has killed more people then any other pistol round, it does the job just fine.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:24 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,051,726 times
OP-
As CSD has said, as well as other posters have said, great advice, training. It all starts there..

Your daughter MUST before anything else, needs to take NRA classes (basic steps 1-3) before anything else, truly a must. We have Ranges where you and your daughter can test fire a few different pistols/Revolvers before she makes a purchase choice.

Absolutely a must before anything else, she needs to Class Up. Then go and have some fun.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 11-11-2014 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: No Signatures

Old 11-11-2014, 12:41 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,020 times
Quote:
No, they have not, and it's not my opinion. They are happily using the 9mm, by and large, officially. But honestly, they have used most everything. You understand that a SEAL team gets its equipment based on its mission, correct? That might be an AK47, or an M4, or a 416, or...They let the mission drive the gear train.

What was this guy's name who told you a 9mm won't penetrate a rib? Because the leading wound ballistics forensics person on the West Coast is my contact Dr. Gary K. Roberts. He does not hold that opinion.

The FBI has switched from .40 to 9mm, as well, just recently.

http://loadoutroom.com/12077/fbi-goi...comes-science/

Old 11-11-2014, 12:57 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Quote:
I normally agree with you on most things, but you're off here. If the US Military goes to .40S&W over 9mm it's because armed forces engaged in international warfare are limited by international treaties. They cannot use any ammunition that is designed to expand. So they can only use FMJ "ball" ammunition, and according to the laws of geometry a non-expanding .45ACP (11.4mm) or .40S&W (10mm) will create a bigger hole than a 9mm.

On the other hand civilians and domestic LE can use modern expanding bullets. After extensive studies the FBI has concluded that, using modern projectile designs, a 9mm bullet is just as effective as any other comparable bullet. And through in a few huge advantages such as capacity and reduced recoil, etc. So they are fully switching back to 9mm handguns.

Anywho, that has nothing to do with which caliber should be chosen for a young girl. Give her a standard-size .40 as her first firearm and she'll take it to the range once then probably never shoot it again.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:09 PM

3,805 posts, read 8,508,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
From a female novice point of view, start simple (double action revolver) and start small (caliber, that is, .22, .25), and I echo the advice of going to a range where she can explore a variety of guns. I would also suggest that you book instructor time with her, so she isn't intimidated by having Dad there (unless she would rather have you teach her). Once she is comfortable with that, move up.

Nothing turns a person off of shooting more than being given a gun that is too large (or conversely, too small, some of those CC type single action or semi pistols kick harder than a person might be prepared for), too powerful or too complicated to start out with, and getting the kick of something like a short barrel .45, or an improperly shouldered 12 ga leaving a bruise, or getting scoped can make a person so nervous that they can't properly fire a weapon. I find that I have a hard time with the grip and the action of some high capacity pistols, like the .45 S/A XDM for example, they are just too wide to comfortably grip for me and the action is akward. I would hate to be relying on that in a moment of panic.
I agree with the above. I have seen plenty of new shooters (mostly young ladies) walk up to their lane at the range and be handed a higher caliber gun from their partner. Some do quite well, and just as many (only my observations) just cringe and almost shake after firing it a couple times. You can tell they are not enjoying themselves at all (almost scared), seems to me those may never handle a gun again and all due to how they were introduced to it.
My wife grew up in a family of hunters/shooters yet never really handled a gun herself. Finally got her to join me at the range and after some basic instruction she went thru a couple mags in my .22 (buckmark) and did quite well. The biggest positive, was that she enjoyed it, will go again, and would like to try my 9c at some point. She'll never have interest in carrying and may only have limited interest (now anyway) for home defense, but by not pushing her into trying something she's not ready for she's willing to continue. To me, baby steps are better then no steps, but that is purely my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting