U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 PM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,565,371 times
Reputation: 949

Advertisements

Why would the US govt need an FFL to transfer weapons to their units ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 35,457,801 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Why would the US govt need an FFL to transfer weapons to their units ?
Military supple doest carry that type of weapon, so they send out for bids and buy locally if they can.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2014, 12:33 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,749 posts, read 2,618,445 times
Reputation: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Why would the US govt need an FFL to transfer weapons to their units ?
SOCOM units have discretionary budget and use it accordingly to procure gear on their own terms, at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2014, 01:15 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 35,457,801 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Even on some new equipment, Naval Supply didn't have the right grease or oil, so we would have to go out in town with vouchers every time we needed some. It would take up to a year before supply finally had it in the system. There were some guidelines. If you could find an 8A (Minority owned small business, you could buy direct, no bids After that they wanted small business, locally owned. Get three bids, Supply Officer would pick one and cut a voucher.

Because my brothers business is co owned with his wife, he is. considered an 8A, so they went straight to him. He's also a license gunsmith and holds factory certs for smithing on several brands, he can do warranty work. When Soc Young wanted to retire, he took my brother under his wing. My brother does all of the accuracy work on the Navy and Marine Corp Shooting teams. He is their designated Armorer.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 12:31 AM
 
404 posts, read 345,248 times
Reputation: 809
I'm a 62 year old woman who never touched a gun before. The guy at the gun shop was super helpful. I tried quite a few guns and felt most comfortable with a revolver by Taurus called the Judge. I liked the weight of it. I felt like it was more stable than the smaller guns. I have small hands, but it wasn't a problem. I will be attending the next safety class they teach at the gun shop and will start practicing as soon as possible. I don't want a gun that I'm not used to, if there ever is a reason to defend myself and I certainly want to know everything there is to know about safety. I never wanted to own a gun and still don't, but I'm not going to let my emotions overtake my good sense and keep me vulnerable and unprotected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 AM
 
17,995 posts, read 9,875,337 times
Reputation: 17493
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
I'm a 62 year old woman who never touched a gun before. The guy at the gun shop was super helpful. I tried quite a few guns and felt most comfortable with a revolver by Taurus called the Judge. I liked the weight of it. I felt like it was more stable than the smaller guns. I have small hands, but it wasn't a problem. I will be attending the next safety class they teach at the gun shop and will start practicing as soon as possible. I don't want a gun that I'm not used to, if there ever is a reason to defend myself and I certainly want to know everything there is to know about safety. I never wanted to own a gun and still don't, but I'm not going to let my emotions overtake my good sense and keep me vulnerable and unprotected.
I think you should have tried shooting that handgun before buying it. The recoil will be substantial.

Taurus Judge .45 Colt/.410 Bore Revolvers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM
 
119 posts, read 146,338 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
I'm a 62 year old woman who never touched a gun before. The guy at the gun shop was super helpful. I tried quite a few guns and felt most comfortable with a revolver by Taurus called the Judge. I liked the weight of it. I felt like it was more stable than the smaller guns. I have small hands, but it wasn't a problem. I will be attending the next safety class they teach at the gun shop and will start practicing as soon as possible. I don't want a gun that I'm not used to, if there ever is a reason to defend myself and I certainly want to know everything there is to know about safety. I never wanted to own a gun and still don't, but I'm not going to let my emotions overtake my good sense and keep me vulnerable and unprotected.
A big bore revolver can be a great option due to its simplicity and effectiveness. As the prior poster noted, recoil may be an issue, but that can be addressed with the judicious selection of ammo. 45 Colt is available in loads that range from very mild to very punishing. You may want to look for cowboy action loads for practice, which should have minimal recoil and muzzle blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 05:02 PM
 
17,995 posts, read 9,875,337 times
Reputation: 17493
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
A big bore revolver can be a great option due to its simplicity and effectiveness. As the prior poster noted, recoil may be an issue, but that can be addressed with the judicious selection of ammo. 45 Colt is available in loads that range from very mild to very punishing. You may want to look for cowboy action loads for practice, which should have minimal recoil and muzzle blast.
Another problem specific to the Judge is that it's chambered and designed to accomodate .410, which means shallow rifling and a long, long space a .45 Colt slug has to leap before it hits the forcing cone. The result is very poor accuracy. It's really a .410 gun that can fire solid rounds as alternatives. The Judge isn't what I'd buy if my primary ammunition was going to be a solid round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 10:33 PM
 
404 posts, read 345,248 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Another problem specific to the Judge is that it's chambered and designed to accomodate .410, which means shallow rifling and a long, long space a .45 Colt slug has to leap before it hits the forcing cone. The result is very poor accuracy. It's really a .410 gun that can fire solid rounds as alternatives. The Judge isn't what I'd buy if my primary ammunition was going to be a solid round.
Thank you both for the information. I'm going to the firing range on Friday and will have a selection of different types of ammunition. I'll let you know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 942,697 times
Reputation: 1602
I happen to own a Taurus Judge and I respectfully disagree re: recoil. I've fired mine with Winchester PDX .410 rounds made specifically for handguns, and with Hornady Critical Defense .45 Long Colt ammo. My thought on the recoil was they both were similar to .38 Special out of a K frame Smith & Wesson revolver.

OP, if the firearm is only for home defense and will never be carried except maybe to the range, I'd look long and hard at an automatic 20 gauge shotgun with #4 Buckshot, and maybe a medium-frame revolver chambered for .38 Special / .357 Magnum. Just my opinion.

I started teaching my children to shoot when they were 6 years old, with a .22 Long Rifle revolver. At 8 years old they were shooting light .38 Special loads. Emphasis was on safety, sight picture and shot placement. Today they are as competent with firearms as anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think you should have tried shooting that handgun before buying it. The recoil will be substantial.

Taurus Judge .45 Colt/.410 Bore Revolvers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top