U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:10 AM

130 posts, read 416,580 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a firearm for home defense for my daughter. Never shot beforehand, really has no knowledge on firearms/cleaning/etc. What would you all recommend for an easy to use and not very intimidating option? Just wants to have one just in case, but one that will be effective if she ever needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,385,316 times
Training first, then gun buying. Training will give your daughter (and you) some much needed foundation skills and exposure to various firearms types.

No one can really tell you what type of gun you should buy (if they do-run and get training). It is a very personal choice and one that needs to be made in a very informed manner.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:46 AM

896 posts, read 696,852 times
I had asked this same question a while back. Here is the other thread with some responses.

CC & personal protection Gun for daughter

Old 11-05-2014, 11:57 AM

I will give you my take. In addition to the obvious answers of training, training, training, I would add a few things I've discovered/concluded.

I instructed her that if she is ever awakened to or discovers someone breaking in that she is not to get her gun and go looking for them. She is to get her phone and her gun and go into the bathroom and lock the door and get in the tub while calling 911. Stay on line with 911 until they arrive even if you have to set phone down.

make sure the safety is off and you are locked and loaded and if they try to get in the bathroom, you announce that you are armed and have called 911 and will defend yourself if they do not leave.

If they leave, wait for the cops. If they continue to try to get in, you give another warning. Again, 911 call is being recorded so it's good to have that on tape. If they break in, you unload gun into their chest until it is empty.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Luckily, my daughter is a real "Tom-boy" type so she isn't afraid of guns and has been around them quite a bit.

I bought her the Ruger LC9 initially so she could use it for CC and for home defense. If I had to do it over again, I would get her a different HD gun and she can keep this one if she wants to CC

. She likes it. It's small and not much kick at all. At the time, I didn't realize she couldn't CC until 21. She just turned 20 so a bit to wait.

I really don't think the LC9 is a great home defense gun due to the lower capacity mag, so I'll defer to others for other options. Again, it's a nice little gun but I would prefer something with a much higher capacity.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 PM

163 posts, read 167,732 times
This sort of sounds like a loaded question...never shot before...no experience..you think a gun is a good option for your daughter? She has no idea how to use one...

First, as many posters suggested, you need to get her training on using a firearm. She needs to be able to pick up a firearm and know how to handle, load, unload, work safety mechanisms, point and shoot the firearm. THEN, you need to go over target identification, whats beyond the target, and whats okay to shoot and not shoot at.

Even before that you need to go over with her what a person really really needs to do in a home invasion scenario..When is it okay to go for your gun? When is it okay to point it at someone and blow them away? How many shots should a person take, where to place them, when to start, when to stop...??

After, and ONLY after these and many more questions have been asked, answered, and understood, should you go gun sh...After, and ONLY after these questions have been understood, TWICE, should you go gun shopping.

Assuming the above criteria have been met I would suggest a firearm that that is simple to use. In a time of panic no one has any time to fumble with something "high tech and complicated".

Revolvers are a great choice, in my opinion, because when fully loaded, pulling the trigger always makes a bang. Give her a caliber that she can handle. (You'll discover this through ALOT of time at the firing range)

Semi-autos are also great because they can be simple and offer more 'trys'. Trigger pull is typically lighter, assuming you aren't cocking back a hammer each shot.

I have a Glock 19 for "defense purposes". It is fairly compact and has a magazine capacity of 15 shots of 9mm rounds. To me, it doesn't shoot a dime at 25 yards, but it will put 15 rounds into a man sized target it 5 seconds in close quarters. I keep it loaded and hot in a holster right next to the bed. I've practiced ALOT drawing said gun, ducking behind my bed, grabbing my phone and dialing 911 (obviously not actually ringing 911).

Maybe give her a can of pepper spray in the meantime while you evaluate your choices and train with a firearm that she is comfortable with.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:18 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,237,032 times
Double action only revolvers are the safest for people who are new to firearms, add a laser grip and that makes it easy to practice at home with an unloaded firearm by pointing and then turning on the laser to see where you would have hit, also when pulling the trigger the laser can be a guide to pull smoothly rather than jerk the trigger for a shot which would then hit somewhere besides where you hoped it would. Then on top of that, over the years I have had to point a firearm at someone and the laser dot on them made them drop their weapon, thus preventing me from having to take a life unnecessarily, which BTW is something a person would then have to live with for the rest of their lives and not everyone can handle in their own minds, having taken a human life.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilliger View Post
First, as many posters suggested, you need to get her training on using a firearm. She needs to be able to pick up a firearm and know how to handle, load, unload, work safety mechanisms, point and shoot the firearm. THEN, you need to go over target identification, whats beyond the target, and whats okay to shoot and not shoot at.

When I bought my daughter her gun I had her sit on the floor and practice loading and unloading etc for about 45 minutes until she become comfortable with it.

I also advised her to practice handling/loading/unloading etc at least once a week.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:23 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley14 View Post
I am looking to purchase a firearm for home defense for my daughter. Never shot beforehand, really has no knowledge on firearms/cleaning/etc. What would you all recommend for an easy to use and not very intimidating option? Just wants to have one just in case, but one that will be effective if she ever needs it.
For ease of operation, effective, but easy and not intimidating to shoot and utter reliability, I like a good, K frame Smith and Wesson. I would go with a 357, and load with 38, ala a mod 66 or 19, but, a +p framed mod 10 is a good bet as well. I shy away from autos for defensive use with inexperienced shooter as there are just to many operational parameters. Magazines, controls like slide stops and safety levers, worry about "limp wrist" malfunction, etc.

I suppose an argument can be made in favor of something like a Glock over a revolver, mainly for ammo capacity, but my personal leanings still go to the revolver. For a new shooter, and the fact that we are talking about staking life on the weapon and its ease of use, that seals it, for me.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:20 PM

1,111 posts, read 858,540 times
Most shooting ranges have training programs and introduction to firearms is one of them. Go there before you make a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting