U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:49 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times

Advertisements

Since I've been down, healing up and getting back in shape after major surgery, I've been spending a lot of time putting guns , and building/making other related things such as knives, swords, bows etc, to help pass time . My latest was an AR, which was actually rather unchallenging, but fun and educational nonetheless.

My attentions now turn to some cap and ball pieces I've had for years. Playing around with inlaying and engraving has really picked my interest. Plain Jane pieces that I've had kicking around forever, are now turning into works of art. Readily available material, such as steer horn, certain types of stone, old, coloured glass and e in feathers and flowers have caused a cascade of creativity and satisfying , original work. Especially with period style pieces, like my old .44 1861 Navy, which I built from a CVA kit decades ago. It looks pretty snazzy now, with black steer horn grips, inlayed with silver and with some cool feather polyed into the finish.

Metal engraving is tougher. I'm just learning about that, burning up scrap playing with scribes and acids. The action on that old Navy is slick as ice. It shoots great, now I can match that with looks as well. I just found an old single shot BP kit in a pawn shop I have plans for as well. Since I have a bit to go before my physical mobility comes back all the way. this has been great fun, and a great supplemental skill to my firearms hobby. Firearms as aesthetic art, as well as mechanical.

For now, I'm going to stick with period pieces, as I find they lend themselves better to this than my modern guns. I don't really want to gussy up my modern shooters to much. They get used, and I have no interest in making them into display pieces. I will probably make some horn grips for my 1911, but have no desire to engrave into the metal.

But these BP guns just scream " I can be PRETTY". LOL. Let the games begin .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:58 PM

769 posts, read 889,444 times
well, where are the photos ?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:39 PM

For some reason I can't get pics to post from my phone, which is my only web right now. I will rectify that. . It is stuff I wanna show off. Lol

Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 PM

572 posts, read 448,441 times
You sound like someone who would build an AR-15.So many kits and pieces to make one from scratch. Except it not being old. Those black powder pistol kits always interested me. I knew a guy who built custom sniper rifles, He let me shoot a 9mm pistol he had built from scratch. He made everything. But he did this for a living. I don't shoot much anymore. The cost is a bummer.
I have considered learning to cast and reload my own. I have other more urgent things to do though.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:48 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
You sound like someone who would build an AR-15.So many kits and pieces to make one from scratch. Except it not being old. Those black powder pistol kits always interested me. I knew a guy who built custom sniper rifles, He let me shoot a 9mm pistol he had built from scratch. He made everything. But he did this for a living. I don't shoot much anymore. The cost is a bummer.
I have considered learning to cast and reload my own. I have other more urgent things to do though.
1957 was a while ago, just sayin

Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 PM

74 posts, read 53,070 times
I'm a factory certified armorer on several makes. I also build 922r compliant AK kits out of surplus parts. I never bent any receiver flats. I always prefer Nodak Spud as they are more less ready to assemble less drilling some holes. It's hard to get your hands on a genuine Egyptian Maadi with side folder crutch stock or Romanian G National Guard guns much any other way. These are/were true Mil-spec guns to start with. The quality of your parts kits are superb and everything fits and works just like it should on the first try. It can be challenging when you add addition options or custom features to fit your own needs. Nothing says I love you like a Yugo M-70AB2 underfolder......know what I am saying? YES!!

Old 11-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Oh Lord.....we got "action" Plumber!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:36 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,020 times
I enjoyed building an M4gery for my co-worker. He wanted a good AR, but didn't want to pay $1K. So I made him one for $750.

I was able to avoid the federal excise tax on a complete firearm.
I was able to stuff it with premium parts from my selected vendors.

-Mil-spec lower from PSA (Aero cuts these, I think)
-PSA upper with FN hammer-forged barrel 16.1" flat-top w/fixed FSB, midlength gas (I want him to kill the barrel...if he ever does...he will know EXACTLY what upper he wants by then! Many thousands of rounds...)
-Daniel Defense BCG with Colt extractor spring
-BCM buffer tube
-Colt LPK
-BCM grip/Magpul stock/Magpul trigger guard
-H1 buffer
-Blue Sprinco action spring

The weapon runs GREAT! Very positive function, shooting 5.56 MK318 MOD 0 SOST, it kicks empties into a coffee-can at 3:30. Using junk .223, it will probably shift to 4-4:15. It just...runs. Very pleased.

Assembling it myself allowed me to make sure the castle-nut got staked. The LPK was of good quality. Everything was lined up. Etc.

I bought the upper assembled because it's not a big deal in this case. All it had to do was hold <2MOA and have a reasonably sized gas-port, and it does both. The lower is where I put the money, so that once he figures out what he "wants in an M4", he can decide whether or not to spend "real money" and buy said upper and know he has a hell for stout lower to put it on.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:41 AM

Whilst going through the parts on an old CVA Philadelphia Derringer kit I found, I found the breech seperated from the barrel. It will be display only unless I can find a replacement tube. Quid pro quo. Been working on my 1861 Navy, inlaying the grips. Been playing about on scrap with scribes and acids as well. I also have a 1858 Remington 44 kit to play with. Should be a Winter of new experiences.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:33 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting