U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:34 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,545,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
If not now when? NFA is unconstitutional and should be dissolved. So with the momentum and NRA friendly legislators in place wouldn't now be the time?

get rid of the atf (f-troop) at the same time too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 04:09 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do they? Can you point to it for me? I haven't heard anything like that, and I generally hear about stuff like this pretty much as it breaks.
Here ya go Swagger....

Nevadans for Background Checks

Better get started on combating this one now.....

Text of the proposed law:

http://nvsos.gov/Modules/ShowDocumen...ocumentid=3440

Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,695,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Here ya go Swagger....

Nevadans for Background Checks

Better get started on combating this one now.....

Text of the proposed law:

http://nvsos.gov/Modules/ShowDocumen...ocumentid=3440
I don't know what was going on with me, but I completely brain-farted yesterday. I not only knew about it, but I've been participating in discussions about it on another forum. For whatever reason, I just didn't make the connection. It's very weird.

Anyway, yeah, that's the continuation of the process here. First it gets brought up through the legislature. If it fails there, then they have a certain amount of time to collect X number of signatures, but there are requirements on it - they have to get a total of (I think) at least 100,001 signatures, with at least 20k from each of five districts. Or something similar to that - it's been a while since I looked into the specifics.

Getting those signatures, which I think has a deadline either coming up soon or it already has passed, is going to be tough. Sure, in Las Vegas and parts of Washoe County they can get 20k, but the rest of the state? Not likely.

I don't understand why Bloomberg has such a hard-on for Nevada. Maybe it's because Nevadans have more of a liberty-loving mindset than most of the country, with a largely leftist population (thanks to all the non-sane California transplants), maybe he figures if he can flip Nevada, he can get the whole country.

Whatever the source of his fascination with us, I wouldn't expect that we'll ever see this reach a ballot. His best shot was in the legislature, and it never stood a chance there.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Anyway, yeah, that's the continuation of the process here. First it gets brought up through the legislature. If it fails there, then they have a certain amount of time to collect X number of signatures, but there are requirements on it - they have to get a total of (I think) at least 100,001 signatures, with at least 20k from each of five districts. Or something similar to that - it's been a while since I looked into the specifics.
Does Nevada tend to swing blue, or red? I don't follow Nevada politics specifically enough to know?

Regardless, you guys wisely re-elected Sandoval, and he already vetoed something similar to this once before didn't he?

Quote:
I don't understand why Bloomberg has such a hard-on for Nevada. Maybe it's because Nevadans have more of a liberty-loving mindset than most of the country, with a largely leftist population (thanks to all the non-sane California transplants), maybe he figures if he can flip Nevada, he can get the whole country.

Whatever the source of his fascination with us, I wouldn't expect that we'll ever see this reach a ballot. His best shot was in the legislature, and it never stood a chance there.
I imagine he'll probably go after the states that he thinks will be most receptive to him at first, in an effort to build up momentum. He's not going to try to kick-start his little dictatorship in, Texas, for instance. I heard rumors of a similar ballot measure being brought up in Oregan to, but haven't seen anything to confirm that.

You guys do your best to fight him off out west, so that we don't even have to deal with him over here in the East.....

Old 11-09-2014, 12:42 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,433,454 times
That is his method, to try and go after states that have enough questionable liberals. He goes after big city as that have no knowledge of what, exactly, he is talking about and he plays on their heart strings. Has there been strange murders, mall shootings, school shootings, hunting accidents etc...? In Nevada?

He hasn't gone after Wyoming yet. Don't think it would do much good either. We have a pretty savy 2nd crowd here and a legislature that supports it. This election made it even better as we got rid of some dead wood encumbants.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 11-09-2014, 05:04 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,545,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That is his method, to try and go after states that have enough questionable liberals. He goes after big city as that have no knowledge of what, exactly, he is talking about and he plays on their heart strings. Has there been strange murders, mall shootings, school shootings, hunting accidents etc...? In Nevada?

He hasn't gone after Wyoming yet. Don't think it would do much good either. We have a pretty savy 2nd crowd here and a legislature that supports it. This election made it even better as we got rid of some dead wood encumbants.

I know this much Elk, in some states, even talking about gun control can be the deathnell of a politicians career.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:57 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,695,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Does Nevada tend to swing blue, or red? I don't follow Nevada politics specifically enough to know?
Depends. Las Vegas is a major city with a very large population that emigrated from southern California, so there's a strong lean to the left here. Most of the rest of the state is... not.

With that mix, at the polls, Nevada is basically a pretty libertarian state that likes to spend/waste money. The California transplants like to talk about their new found "freedom", and then they demand that it be taken away, to make things more like "back home."

On the issue of guns, though, Nevada is very pro-2A. That is changing as we get more Californians, but it's changing at a slower rate than other issues. I don't expect this bill would make it as a ballot question.

We should know in a few days if they've gathered the signatures required. They have until Tuesday. They need at least 101,667 signatures, with 25,417 from each of the four congressional districts. I didn't think they'd be able to manage it, but I just checked the map and they actually could. District 1 (my district) basically covers the city of Las Vegas proper. District 2 contains Reno, Sparks, Carson City & more. Districts 3 and 4 split the rest of the population center of the LV valley in half. So the potential is certainly there. Even if they manage it, though, it still has to make it through the legislature and governor's desk (ain't gonna happen) or as a ballot initiative, and I just don't see it passing.

Quote:
Regardless, you guys wisely re-elected Sandoval, and he already vetoed something similar to this once before didn't he?
Yep. Last year.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:39 PM

9,193 posts, read 10,143,406 times
It was a similar defeat that uncorked the monster in Colorado. In 2000 a bill was introduced in the legislature that would have banned private sales at gun shows, that is, it would have required a background check of the sort used in criminal suspects. The Republican legislature mounted themselves for the fight and sent it to a quick and ignominious defeat.

But the antigunners had just begun. Using paid people to circulating petitions they easily got it on the ballot. We were nervous but thouught that it would be defeated. We were wrong. Call it Old Colorado versus New Colorado; call it urban versus rural; we lost. Look what just happened in Colorado: universal background checks, magazine limitations. What's next?

What defeated us? The answer is simple. It was the Democratic urban hordes largely composed of minorities. Nevada is so like Colorado with its stalwart rightists all over the state...except for Clark County. That's where Mitt Romney was defeated; that's where the Second Amendment will be defeated. I've always been impressed by the good people in the Nevada gun culture just as I have the great people in the California gun culture. I'll welcome you as neighbors.

I hope that you can beat these people. If not be ready to vote with your feet.; I did. I live in Wyoming because of gun rights.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM

30,449 posts, read 9,103,558 times
Sadly, the only thing that's ever been found to be unconstitutional about the Firearms Act of 1934 is its application to felons found to be in violation of it.

That's right, folks. felons are not required to register their guns because doing so would violate their 5th Amendment right to not incriminate themselves.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Depends. Las Vegas is a major city with a very large population that emigrated from southern California, so there's a strong lean to the left here. Most of the rest of the state is... not.

With that mix, at the polls, Nevada is basically a pretty libertarian state that likes to spend/waste money. The California transplants like to talk about their new found "freedom", and then they demand that it be taken away, to make things more like "back home."

On the issue of guns, though, Nevada is very pro-2A. That is changing as we get more Californians, but it's changing at a slower rate than other issues. I don't expect this bill would make it as a ballot question.

We should know in a few days if they've gathered the signatures required. They have until Tuesday. They need at least 101,667 signatures, with 25,417 from each of the four congressional districts. I didn't think they'd be able to manage it, but I just checked the map and they actually could. District 1 (my district) basically covers the city of Las Vegas proper. District 2 contains Reno, Sparks, Carson City & more. Districts 3 and 4 split the rest of the population center of the LV valley in half. So the potential is certainly there. Even if they manage it, though, it still has to make it through the legislature and governor's desk (ain't gonna happen) or as a ballot initiative, and I just don't see it passing.

Yep. Last year.
Meh, just because so many people signed this or that, isn't really any indication of whether it would pass in an election or not. People will sign anything. I've seen video's where a guy asks people to sign a petition to put all gun owners in death camps, abolish the First Amendment, etc and people just grab the pen and put their John Hancock on it without thinking twice. That in itself is pretty scary, and we should all hope that those types mostly think of themselves as too busy to vote.

Anyway, thanks for the info...... I'll check in on the issue when I get time, but please keep us updated here if you happen to hear of any new developments.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting