U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:16 PM

251 posts, read 150,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCarpenter View Post
Ok so, I read through the actual wording of the bill, While I am by no means a fan of this it does seem to be fairly well written.
I can hand my gun to anyone at a range with no transfer as long as I am the one to take in out of the range. I can loan my rifle to my buddy for hunting, so long as it is in hunting season and is going to be used for that purpose only and then returned to me with no transfer. My wife can shoot any one of my guns at any time with no transfer because she is "family" as this also applies to "family" all the way to cousins. I think a lot of people are not digging into this bill the way they should. Just google I-594.
I agree that it is bogus that I can not legally hand a buddy my gun to look at while in my house, or if we are out shooting in the wood not at an actual gun range.

Please correct me if I am wrong on my interpretation of what the bill is saying.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienni...TIVE%20594.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-594, page 10
"while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm"
Is hunting legal in your neighborhood? On the roads between your house & where this buddy is going to be hunting? No? Then it's not legal to loan him the hunting rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 PM

16 posts, read 12,470 times
I see that point. Again I do not agree with this bill but I do think that they were trying to be fair with it. Is it perfect? No. Should changes be made? Absolutly. But it isn't as damaging as most people are making it out to be.

So if you want to loan a buddy a gun to hunting you have to hunt with him or atlest in the same game area. Again its not perfect but it also doesn't make me and inst-felon.

For most of my situations where I get to use and try guns, this bill does not effect me. The only place I really can see it being grossly over restrictive is in my house when I want to show off my guns to a friend, but even then its behind closed doors and unless I am under surveillance for something there is no way to enforce this.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM

251 posts, read 150,473 times
If you tread very, very carefully, no this bill won't make you an insta-felon. However, as you've just seen you can't loan your hunting rifle to your buddy unless you're already there, you can't get your buddy to fix your gun, you can't show your new pistol to your buddy at home, and on and on.

What % of people in WA do you think have actually not only read I-594 but read it close enough to see things like
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-594, page 10
"while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm"
Heck, you missed that bit on your first read through. This bill just created a huge minefield. A lot of people are going to step in it. I'm not so willing to give this bill's creators the benefit of the doubt. They could have copied & pasted some other state's laws on sales, instead they created a new law about "transfers".

You think it's not such a bad law because you'll just do stuff "behind closed doors"?

This law is what I've taken to referring to as "not a big deal ... until it's a really big deal", i.e. when they charge you with it.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:58 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,579,606 times
I guess the hunting load provision means whatever some judge decides it means. But it appears to me that it is intended to cover the situation of handing a rifle across a fence or into a stand.

People who interpret it as a generalized provision for loaning of guns for hunting are asking for a court date.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:22 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,469,319 times
That thing is full of gotchas designed to criminalize common activities of gun owners in order to discourage gun ownership.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:39 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Can you dig it.

New court decision could end California's restrictions on conceal-carry permits | Fox News

Old 11-13-2014, 01:11 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,312,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I would venture a guess and say folks will follow it if it passes. Hand your gun to your buddy to try a shot and both of you just became felons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
I'd be very surprised if a law that stupid actually passed. Even if it does, I can promise you that most people will be ignoring it in practice.
What's this talk of "if" it passes...... IT PASSED..... you guys wrote your posts on 11-9..... It passed on 11-4

Old 11-13-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Start planning a grass roots effort to repeal the new law, or even just parts of it, even if it does not succeed it will force them to keep spending money over and over again.
Take a page out of the liberal play book and use incremental-ism to your advantage, chip away at there new law.
lawsuits work very well too, have the local NRA and other groups file suits against the law or even just parts of it.

bill

The NRA wasn't much help at all in trying to defeat the bill, so I doubt they'll be much help in trying to over turn it....

Could be wrong about that though..... Maybe the NRA thought they'd have a better time of fighting it in the courts then they would of convincing the Liberals in King County it was a bad deal for WA.

I'm sure they had their reasons.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCarpenter View Post
I can hand my gun to anyone at a range with no transfer as long as I am the
one to take in out of the range.
Wrong..... as long as the "range" is legally defined as such by the local jurisdiction. That means no loans on private ranges. I don't know about you but I haven't ever stepped foot on a range that wasn't on private property except when I went to get my CCW permit, and even that was a private range. Oh and speaking of that, no more CCW classes or gun safety classes on private property. You as an instructor can't loan a gun to a student to use, that's a felony, as is the student handing it back to you. There is also a misunderstanding as to whether or not the gun has to be a gun owned by the range, or if that provision means you can loan someone a gun so long as you leave the range with the gun in your possession.
Quote:
I can loan my rifle to my buddy for hunting, so long as it is in
hunting season and is going to be used for that purpose only and then returned
to me with no transfer.
Wrong again...... Say you lend your gun to a buddy for hunting..... that's ok as long as the transfer happens in the hunting field. Say you hand the gun to your buddy at your house or on the street? You're now a felon.
Quote:
My wife can shoot any one of my guns at any time with no transfer because
she is "family" as this also applies to "family" all the way to cousins.
0/3..... It only applies to "family" if the transfer is a GIFT..... If it's a temporary loan? A background check is required.... Does that make any sense? You can give someone a gun but to loan them the gun you have to get a background check done. What a load of malarchy.

This law was anything BUT "well written"..... it was probably written by big city liberals who know nothing about guns whatsoever.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:29 AM

16 posts, read 12,470 times
WhipperSnapper,
Thank you for clearing that up for me a bit. I guess it really is all in how your precieve the laws. I sure hope we can change this around soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or