U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 PM

10,965 posts, read 14,612,086 times

Advertisements

Hunting camp 2001. Mon Forest WV, me and 3 guys with packs, tents.. We took out three nice whities and had to boot them out 7-10 miles. We hung 'em, ate some, then deboned and packed it out. That big boy was over 225.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:27 PM

Booting 17 miles on the CDT for duskie grouse..

Much easier to 'pack out' than an elk, lol.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:45 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,401,709 times
Take a bunch of singles and a box of condoms!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 PM

Bulls*it and I've butchered my game for over 35 years. Deboned, guts out, hide gone- you're getting less than 50%. That's with an IDEAL shot.

Quote:
Let's say a hunter kills a mature buck, and it weighs 165 pounds field-dressed. Using the above equation, we estimate its carcass will weigh 124 pounds, and it will ideally yield 83.08 pounds of boneless meat. The deer's realistic meat yield is about 58.15 pounds.
How Much Meat Will Your Deer Yield? : Butcher & Packer, Sausage Making and Meat Processing Supplies

And that's calculating you save the ribs, liver, heart and everything EDIBLE.

But I'm sure your deer are veritable monsters.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-01-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 07:58 PM

I see you get your game 'processed'. How quaint. We do it ourselves.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-01-2015 at 08:13 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 PM

That's a Chief Walking Eagle knife! Fitting! Unused and neglected, but by golly ready for action as soon as you decide to butcher up meat from 1956!

Yeah.. from this weekend...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/41012522-post6983.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/41012573-post6984.html

I butcher AND prepare finished meats all the time.

For the Op (if he's still even around)
1. You don't need a truck for a whitetail. Learn to field quarter and butcher then pack it out. Use game bags. It's a lot cheaper and more satisfying than buying a $5,000 4 wheeler. If you are more than 3 miles out and alone- LEARN TO FIELD BUTCHER.
2. If you are going to hunt, accept less than ideal because that's what happens in the field. Sh*t happens.
3. Prepare your body and your mind more than relying on gear and guns. That's what hunting is all about. A decent firearm, knife, boots and some common sense is all you need. Clothes are optional.
4. Don't be afraid to ask for help when YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO SOMETHING. Take internet advice with a grain of giant salt. Ask the guy you know that has hunted ethically for a long time- they are more than happy to show you tricks and secrets.

There's really not a whole lot else.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-01-2015 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 03:40 PM

2,774 posts, read 3,683,653 times
Threerun: In my neck of the woods you have to keep the animal mostly intact until it is checked in. So other than field dressing (guts), you have to drag the entire carcass back to your vehicle. Also, as for full deboning, it depends on how much meat you keep. I keep almost everything, even the lower legs for osso bucco. But then I don't have to carry everything out on my back, so I have an advantage.

Anyway, it's pointless to argue with our resident troll. He'll keep tossing in off-topic videos and pictures of various guns and knives until you give up. Next will be a clip from Full Metal Jacket. I'm just surprised he managed to hang onto a single member name long enough to acquire "Senior Member" status. Normally he cancels and switches names every few weeks.

Edit: Nevermind, today is this ID's 2-week anniversary. He's been rather prolific lately, but it won't be long now.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Threerun: In my neck of the woods you have to keep the animal mostly intact until it is checked in. So other than field dressing (guts), you have to drag the entire carcass back to your vehicle. Also, as for full deboning, it depends on how much meat you keep. I keep almost everything, even the lower legs for osso bucco. But then I don't have to carry everything out on my back, so I have an advantage.

Anyway, it's pointless to argue with our resident troll. He'll keep tossing in off-topic videos and pictures of various guns and knives until you give up. Next will be a clip from Full Metal Jacket. I'm just surprised he managed to hang onto a single member name long enough to acquire "Senior Member" status. Normally he cancels and switches names every few weeks.

Edit: Nevermind, today is this ID's 2-week anniversary. He's been rather prolific lately, but it won't be long now.
They want to see the entire carcass? Yikes. Back in WV it was head and cape, everything else (you didn't want) was left behind. The only exception was one area of a county that we used to hunt that has a CWD issue- first three days the entire animal had to be inspected (field dressed).

Most of the whitetails around here I can drag out by myself and toss them in the truck or in the back of my Jeep Cherokee, so I don't worry about quartering that game. I prefer to get the whole carcass out and I do keep the heart and liver, plus I break the ribs and make venison scrapple. However if I go hiking for mulies- yes, I prepare for quartering. You can cover a lot of ground on foot looking for them.

Yeah- I hear you about Chief Walking Eagle. I guess I hate to see a hunting thread get ruined.. Off to the ignore list he goes..

Old 09-03-2015, 06:43 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,683,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
They want to see the entire carcass? Yikes. Back in WV it was head and cape, everything else (you didn't want) was left behind. The only exception was one area of a county that we used to hunt that has a CWD issue- first three days the entire animal had to be inspected (field dressed).

Most of the whitetails around here I can drag out by myself and toss them in the truck or in the back of my Jeep Cherokee, so I don't worry about quartering that game. I prefer to get the whole carcass out and I do keep the heart and liver, plus I break the ribs and make venison scrapple. However if I go hiking for mulies- yes, I prepare for quartering. You can cover a lot of ground on foot looking for them.

Yeah- I hear you about Chief Walking Eagle. I guess I hate to see a hunting thread get ruined.. Off to the ignore list he goes..
Technically, the rule is, "Evidence of the big game animal’s species and sex must be available for inspection by TWRA personnel until the animal is checked in." You could argue that a 50-lb bag of deboned venison plus a set of freshly cut off antlers and sex organs would qualify, but most places insist that all the parts must be attached to each other. It's southeastern whitetail, though, so unless you bag a monster buck or get a really mature doe during the primitive or bonus season you're looking at less than 125lbs on the hoof. Dragging a field-dressed carcass is just part of the process.

There are also larger red deer and elk in some parts of the state that require a permit assigned by lottery. Dragging a full elk up a hill is not something I'm interested in trying.

That said, there's supposed to be a new check-in procedure with an app. I haven't researched it, but it would be awesome to take a time- and location-stamped picture of the fresh kill (with species and sex evidence visible) that would serve as an on-line check in. This data would be immensely useful for tracking and statistics on WMAs.

Back off topic, the sad thing about Chief is that he appears to actually have some genuine knowledge about firearms and such. Too bad this knowledge is overshadowed by excessive boasting and the inability to believe that he may actually be wrong about something.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:59 AM

There are no check-in requirements here. Every so often you will see a 'Game Survey Station'- they just kind of randomly pop-up throughout the state and you MUST stop, whether you have bagged any game or not. They will ask questions about what game you did see, what areas were you in.. If you have any game they will measure it, record it, etc..

You see them for upland bird as well.

Large game must be tagged immediately, and the tag cannot be removed/separated while the game/meat is in your possession.

Last edited by Threerun; 09-03-2015 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or