U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 12:58 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,578,951 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get into Deer hunting in NY and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a reliable rifle brand/model (something that is also a good value), and any gear recommendations (I'm a new hunter overall).

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I'm looking to get into Deer hunting in NY and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a reliable rifle brand/model (something that is also a good value), and any gear recommendations (I'm a new hunter overall).

Thanks in advance.
I don't know the laws in NY. Do they have a rifle season? Some are shotgun-only. Make sure you can use a rifle. If you can, get a 30-06 or a .270. They are fairly standard, common calibers. Good brand names to buy are Remington, Winchester, Savage. I've got a Charter Arms Field King 30-06 that I got at a pawn shop for $225 and recently picked up a Savage .243 for $250 privately. Killed a deer 2 days ago with the 30-06. The scope on it cost me another $100, a 3x9x40 Bushnell. It's variable to magnify it from 3x to 9x. Besides that, you don't need much besides warm clothes and some hunter orange. Maybe a decent knife to gut it. You can just go sit out in the woods under a tree and hope to spot one.

I have a couple of pop-up tent blinds. One I paid $20 for used, and the other cost me $60 from Amazon.com. I also recently got a 15' ladder tree stand that I placed against a tree. I shot a buck from it yesterday with my .243. If you're hunting public ground you probably don't want a tree stand like that, or you want one you can just hang on the tree for easy removal.

I have also purchased a fawn/doe call and a grunt call for about $10 each.

There is a lot of stuff you can spend money on if you really want to. Initially I would not be concerned with the camouflage stuff and scents, and all that.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:48 PM

3,805 posts, read 8,508,451 times
OP, may I ask if you are new to shooting as well? Or just to hunting in particular?

If new to shooting overall, i'd recommend trying to touch base with a local sporting group/club for potential hunter's safety courses, an assist on the range for not only sighting in your rifle but to ensure you are handling it correctly, and some general tips and feedback on what to do/not do, where to hunt, etc...

Again, if new overall, that's where i'd start if i didnt have family/friends who hunted who could take me under their wing

Old 11-18-2014, 03:52 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
OP, may I ask if you are new to shooting as well? Or just to hunting in particular?

If new to shooting overall, i'd recommend trying to touch base with a local sporting group/club for potential hunter's safety courses, an assist on the range for not only sighting in your rifle but to ensure you are handling it correctly, and some general tips and feedback on what to do/not do, where to hunt, etc...

Again, if new overall, that's where i'd start if i didnt have family/friends who hunted who could take me under their wing
I'd second that. I'm 41 years old, and have been shooting for some time...but I recently went through a hunter's safety course with my 13 year old daughter. I was one of only 2 above the age of 16...but it was very informative and helped me a lot with hunting in general. It was a free course and taught me a lot about safety, as well as general info on how/where to hunt.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:55 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
In order:

Boots
Glass
Weapon

The three things you should never cheap out on when getting into hunting.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
A good rifle for a new hunter is a Remington 700. It is a good solid investment that is reasonably priced and holds its value. I would get it in .30-06. That round is an excellent round with plenty of knockdown power. Should you decide you want to tackle elk hunting next, its still a good round. It is about THE most universal round for hunting. It carry's well and shooting out 500-600 yards is not unheard of.

If not the .30-06, next I would opt for the .270. Another common round that has plenty of knockdown for deer or antelope, but as a new hunter, you would want to be very precise. should you go after elk. Just my 2 cents worth. I have hunter elk with a .25-06 but I have to be very exact with my shooting and place my shots very carefully. The .30-06, is not so demanding on being precise. You. can be off a few inches and still do enough muscle shock to drop them.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 11-21-2014, 07:07 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Personally, unless the deer in the northeast are much larger than the ones I'm used to, or you have plans to go after elk, I consider the .30-06 to be way overkill. Millions of deer have been killed by the moderate-recoil .30-30 in a relatively inexpensive lever-action. For slightly more power/accuracy go with a Savage bolt-action in .308 Win (gobs of ammo available, and more than adequate for anything up to elk). For a "starter" gun don't spend more than $300-$400 for a used model. If you stick with the sport and want a better weapon then you can sell your used gun for what you paid for it.

You will need (not necessarily in this order):
- Safety class (I believe all states require this for a hunting license now)
- State hunting license (probably more than one for "big game")
- Hunting permit or written landowner permission for wherever you plan on hunting (if required)
- Firearm license (??? what is required to own/posses a firearm in NY???)
- Weapon & proper ammo (see above)
- Safety gear (does NY require "hunter orange"?)
- Proper clothing (boots, weather gear; most people get camo, but it's not required)
- Sharp knife for field dressing
- Plan for what to do if you actually get a deer (how to field dress, how to get it out of the woods, where to get it checked/tagged, where to get it processed)

That last bit is kinda critical. You don't want to be standing in the woods at sunset with 200-lbs of dead deer with no idea what to do next. Unless it's tiny or you are a bodybuilder, you can't exactly toss it over your shoulder and stroll back to your car.

Things that will be helpful, but not necessarily required:
- Scope for your rifle (personally I don't use a scope)
- Binoculars
- Rangefinder if you plan on shooting at things more than a few hundred yards away
- Place to practice shooting so you know how to hit things more than a few hundred yards away
- Any number of a million things you'll find in the sporting goods aisle of every sporting goods store. It all depends on how gullible you are and/or how much money you want to spend.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:01 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,246,775 times
A good vacuum packer.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:12 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,987,126 times
Just don't get a Remington. Safety issues…drop it and you'll blow your head off. I don't think you're quite ready for a Winchester. They're only for serious hunters. Savage is probably your best bet.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:22 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,589,323 times
Get a firearm that you are comfortable with. For years I used an old pump 30-06 and then I switched to a .257 Roberts. I found the rifle lighter, the recoil was non-existent and the cartridge was devastating on white-tail.

A good jacket also helps. I enjoy wearing my Browning upland canvas jacket. Layer underneath and I'm good.

If stand hunting in cold weather- invest in a good pair of pac boots. Cold feet make for a miserable hunt.

A good knife is also important. I use an Old Timer Sharpfinger, but the rule is whatever you use keep it SHARP.

Pretty much everything else is secondary, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or