U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,575 times

Advertisements

Was given an Iver Johnson 38 caliber hammerless revolver. Not in the best of shape. It has some writing on top of the barrel stating: Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, Pitchburg, Mass USA
PATD APIL 6,66. FEB 15, 87MAY 10, 87 DEC 26, 93 PATS PENDING
On the bottom of the handle frame is the serial number D14084. I've looked inside the grips and it has a straight steel spring and no writing. The trigger has the built in safety. From what I have found out it is a second model issue. Anything additional someone may add will be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM

9,184 posts, read 10,125,866 times
Your gun was designed to be carried in and even fired from the pocket. It's legally an antique. A gun with a blue finish or a 2'' barrel brings a premium. Open it and check to make sure that the firing pin doesn't protrude. If it does you could have a slam fire when you close the cylinder or when the cylinder turns. Stick a dowel down the barrel to make sure that the barrel and cylinder are aligned.

It's chambered for the .38 Smith & Wesson, not the .38 special. That's an old black powder cartridge with mild recoil and decent accuracy. Smith chambered the Regulation Police Target in .38 S & W; they considered it worthy of target sights. As the .380-200 and .380-146 it was the standard British military round during World War II.

I assume that your gun is nickel-plated. The concussion of firing can blow off large flakes of the nickel plate so if the finish is nice don't shoot it. Otherwise it should make a neat shooter. Only the largest gun stores have carried the ammo in recent years, but you can find it online, certainly on gunbroker. Starline makes the brass.

Iver Johnson made inexpensive but reliable firearms for over a century. An interesting note is that Iver Johnson himself was a pacifist who refused miliitary contracts during World War I. He was very happy, however, to arm the individual at a reasonable price.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,006,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman40 View Post
Was given an Iver Johnson 38 caliber hammerless revolver. Not in the best of shape. It has some writing on top of the barrel stating: Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, Pitchburg, Mass USA
PATD APIL 6,66. FEB 15, 87MAY 10, 87 DEC 26, 93 PATS PENDING
On the bottom of the handle frame is the serial number D14084. I've looked inside the grips and it has a straight steel spring and no writing. The trigger has the built in safety. From what I have found out it is a second model issue. Anything additional someone may add will be appreciated.
The pistol had some cool,features for the time. That safety design is nowmsimilarbtothe glock,safety and othersnthatnuse a small release lever. Also, the extractor opens and extends once you open the top. I've never seen one in blue but, there are a fair amount of those in nickel. All of them had nickel that was flaking off as quite a few are nearing 90-100 plus years of age. Typically found in estate sales from someone who handed them down three generations ago.

While neat, they aren't rare. If its in good shape, keep it. If not shoot it or not but use black powder loads ONLY after checking it out through a competent gunsmith. I wouldn't take the chance but, that's me. You now own a neat part of firearms history. Great conversation piece. Just enjoy it and see what a gunsmith says about it.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,575 times
Thanks for the information. I do plan on taking it over to C2 this week and having it checked out. Someone did a poor job of engraving some stuff on it that I don't understand. Probably just an individual's info. Really appreciate you responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or