U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:34 PM

15,924 posts, read 10,972,707 times

Advertisements

Love archery and bowhunting. Remember being in class in grade school looking at a drawing in a history book of an ancient battle, bows drawn. Couldn't wait to get home and shoot waxed milk cartons and peras from the neighbors tree.

Still facinated with archery and hunt exclusively with a recurve and play around with a couple of long bows. Always shot heavy bows, now a 62# groves spitfire and a 64# brackenberry.

Shoot 2216 al arrows at 29" with wensel woodsman heads. Sometimes depending on mood 4 fletch, usually three fletch given the cost of feathers today. Sometimes 4" four fletch, usually 5" for all fletching.

Hunt from ground and trees, whatever situation provides. Have a ghillie suit and my fav is white overalls when it snows. Typically wear muted earth tones and wool everything. Face mask is camo.

I canoe throughout the year and find paddling muscles translate to bow shooting.

Did try a compound for a few years in the 70s. Nice and accurate but I like simple bare bones stuff.

Ben Franklin supposedly proposed archery gear for the colonial army, easier to produce bows, further reach than guns of the day and several arrows could be fired for one gun shot.

I am constantly amazed how quick some deer go down. No sound, no sledge hammer of energy bowling over a deer and sometimes the deer has no idea it is dead and has no reaction to the arrow passing through. Just lays down and rolls over.

Did I mention meat bled out just like a pro slaughter house. One of the best reasons to use an arrow if venison is high on your list of favorite foods. Heart is cut up into cubes, wild turkey 101, honey, finely diced mushroom and onions. Boil moderate heat for half an hour, turn up heat and stir until fluid begins to thicken and almost sticks to the pot.

An arrow is almost weightless comparted to a 7 pound gun and its lethality seems to defy reality.

Nothing like watching an arrow in flight while shooting long distances. Archery range is fine but roaming an area where you can stretch your string and shoot to your bows max is to 'escape the surly bonds of earth' as you 'become the arrow' and sail above the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,976,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I, if course, got in to archery as a kid. I mean, everybody was doing it, but not very serious about it. We hunted but with cheap equipment and we didnt get much.

A few years back, the town I live in, started to have a deer problem. Their answer was to open 7 hunting areas, in town. Can't have a bunch of idiots breaking out their .308's, in town, so they made the areas archery only. Because my back fence was the edge of an archery area, and my back fence was raw property, no houses, I got back in to archery. Bought a 175lb crossbow. Because of horror stories of the explosive power and arrows exploding, I only use aluminum shafts. While I lived there, I got two does every year until I moved. Noe, I live on 3 acres that is half in the county and half in the city. Not wanting to use high powered rifles this close, I still use my crossbow if I hunt here, but, the area across the road from me is "unlimited" tags, so I can purchase as many tags as I want.

So I got into or got back into, archery due to need, not because of the enjoyment like you display.
I also got into archery simply because it opens up 2.5 more months of a season. I hunt other people's land...so farmers tend to be a little more willing to let a guy hunt with a bow than a high powered rifle. I was able to get a doe this year using a crossbow. I tried an old vertical bow, but it's REALLY hard to pull it back in the small popup blind I was using.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,914,229 times
I've been busy making arrows. Started using bamboo I was iffy about it at first, mainly because of the variations in shaft size, but I've made 7 , so far, and they shoot quite straight and very fast as well. Not quite as fast as my four fletch carbons. but, they didn't cost as much and they are nice looking missiles too. They are 32", triple 5" fletch, tempered to a dark brown and clear coated. The points are mine. Sort of a combination field tip and Bodkin. Using my own arrows and :, having them work so well really adds to the longbow experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or