U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,508,001 times

Advertisements

Thought maybe some of you hunters might like this story.
Deer attacks hunter after hit with arrow - KMSP-TV
Posted: Jan 04, 2015 8:26 PM CST
Updated: Jan 04, 2015 9:24 PM CST
by Lindsey LaBelleCONNECT
(KMSP) -
A deer exacted revenge on a bow hunter who wounded her with an arrow on Friday in Fond du Lac County, Wis.

The Fond du Lac Reporter said the 72-year-old, armed with a crossbow, was hunting on the Peebles Trail near Highway K in Taycheedah around 7:30 p.m. He hurt the doe with his arrow and went back to track it, and as he was wading through some thick brush, the deer jumped out and struck him in the leg with her head.

The hunter was transported to St. Agnes Hospital, though the extent of his injuries is unknown. He was hunting with family at the time.

Any of you hunters ever experience something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,589,323 times
Nope, not me. I've had bucks walk up to me and right by me during rut activity- oblivious to me. Never attacked though.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
It could have been worse.

He could have wounded a bear.

Hunter attacked by wounded bear in Pine County - KMSP-TV

Old 01-05-2015, 06:43 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,508,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Nope, not me. I've had bucks walk up to me and right by me during rut activity- oblivious to me. Never attacked though.
Wow, neat.

Riding horse I have been close to does, but never a buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It could have been worse.

He could have wounded a bear.

Hunter attacked by wounded bear in Pine County - KMSP-TV
Yikes
I have also seen a good handful of black bear riding horse.
Never in any danger though.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-05-2015 at 11:50 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,360,640 times
I was mountain running once along the top of a razorback ridge in the So Cal mountains. There was heavy brush on both sides of a seldom used trail. I must have startled a sleeping deer because without warning I got body slammed! I saw it jumping out of the brush a split second before we ran into each other.

The deer went over me as I was falling and did a complete flip in the air, landed and jumped back the way it had come. I was incredibly lucky not to have been seriously hurt. My shoulder was sore where we hit and some scratches when I went down. But I could have been kicked or bitten.

And the deer was lucky too, cause I had a .38 snubbie on my belt! (Back in the day when such was legal there.)

I bet he/she never bedded down by a trail again!

Old 01-06-2015, 12:31 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Is deer-hunting with a crossbow common?

Lesson learned: use a more powerful bow or wait for gun season.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,846,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

To answer your first question, yes it is common and becoming more common every year. There was once a time where most states only allowed handicapped hunters to use them, not any more.

Lessoned learned: When in within range and a proper shot a 40 lb recurve will take a deer. I've done it!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Depends on the state. In some states they are classified as bows and can be used during archery-only seasons, in some states you may only use them with handicap permit, in some states they are classified as guns and only allowed during FIREARM season, and in other states it's a mix of all of the above.

It's fairly complex to learn to shoot a bow properly, but a crossbow is relatively simple; especially an expensive model with a crank-draw. You hold it like a gun, aim it like a gun (many even have low-power scopes with drop-compensation reticles), and fire it like a gun. They are an easy way for an older (like the guy in the article) or handicap hunter to extend the hunting season. Or someone like me who doesn't have the time to learn a whole new hunting methodology. I don't have a crossbow, but I'm seriously considering one.

Actually, the lesson learned should be to wait longer before starting to trail the deer. A chased deer will keep running and/or turn and fight. In this case it looks like the deer ran and hid in the thicket, but the hunter didn't wait long enough for her to bleed out. If the deer was properly hit and bleeding, a 10-minute wait in this situation could have meant the difference between a trip to the emergency room or not.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:36 AM

5,263 posts, read 2,876,587 times
I lived in Fond du Lac for over a decade. My backyard was woods and I did encounter some deer back there that were very aggressive. I must have gotten too close to a fawn or something because a doe was snorting and pawing at the ground. I'd never experienced anything like that before. Then, I looked around and saw many deer watching me. I hustled my hind end back up to the house and locked the door!
Maybe we have super-aggressive deer in Fond du Lac!

Old 01-06-2015, 06:27 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Its a proven fact that more hunters, and non hunters, like hikers and nature enthusiasts, are hurt and killed by deer, every year, than all predator animal attacks combined. I've never had such an encounter with a deer. There is a bad habit, that many inexperienced hunters, especially inexperienced archers, to rush right in after hitting the mark. If the deer goes down, on the spot, then some folks really get in a hurry.

Best to give the critter some time. Let blood loss take over and make sure the animal stays down. Running tight to/after them charges adrenaline, and unless one really likes tracking for miles, or really risk losing it in a chase, over long distances, its best to just sllw down and engage brain.

Nope, its not prudent to take the "lowly" deer for granted. They are plumb, boot leather, tough, and, as evidenced, even a doe can throw a whoop a$$ out,, if given opportunity and motive. Things like this happen all the time. Deer account for a good number of people hurt , seriously, by wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or