U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 11:35 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,937,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsfloto View Post
A gun is the only thing that can keep you in the game even if your too old or weak to bounce around like a chimp and shoot an old type of weapon. What he does is neat like the acrobat bouncing around on a high wire but not practical for self defense. Good luck with carrying that into the local restaurant.
Well, in fairness, I don't think anyone is advocating a longbow for self defense. Lol. A fast draw match twixt this guy and Jerry Miculeck , engaging targets at 7-25 yards would be fun to watch, though. Still, a SW 625 is still highly preferable to a longbow for practical self defense, yes. I don't think anyone is arguing that point.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:28 PM

9,908 posts, read 7,166,319 times
Legallas of the woodland realm has nothing on this guy. He is amazing.
Shooting the incoming arrow was unbelievable.

Imagine being in a battle and a troop of guys on horse back with this kind of skill were charging at you. That is a scary thought.

When I was a teen I had a recurve bow and shot on the right. It just made more sense and was easier. I guess I was on to something.
I'm going to toss my compound and go back to the recurve!

Old 02-03-2015, 05:58 PM

141 posts, read 114,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsfloto View Post
A gun is the only thing that can keep you in the game even if your too old or weak to bounce around like a chimp and shoot an old type of weapon. What he does is neat like the acrobat bouncing around on a high wire but not practical for self defense. Good luck with carrying that into the local restaurant.
I keep a split limb Jennings Star Master Advantage Camo https://www.google.com/search?q=jenn...A&ved=0CEMQsAQ well equipped and setup right at 70# for an alternative weapon. I used to deer hunt more with it when I was younger.....now I might use it to quietly hunt people if I needed such a weapon. Poof, didn't hear a thing....almost as good as a suppressor. I'd take the firearm over it any day though. I still keep it around just in case I need something like that. So I've heard Jennings went out many years ago and someone else bought the name and the new ones are cheap junk and suck. I'm glad I still have this old good one.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:39 AM

195 posts, read 144,348 times
yep, not concealable, not much power in his bow, special wide nocks on his arrows, etc. amazing, but not practical at all. search you tube for a guy with a site called "the slingshot channel" and be prepared to be blown away.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:33 PM

12,940 posts, read 18,494,705 times
Very cool but still no match against a gun.

Like the video says, they guy has spend years training to do that stuff but you could teach a raw recruit to shoot a gun with acceptably lethal accuracy in a couple days.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:57 PM

Accuracy is one thing, adequate speed of hitting is another thing entirely, but if the training is done properly, yes, adequate speed of hitting, at realistic ranges, can be imparted in a couple of days, if the student is not overwhelmed by the gun and load he or she is trying to use. I"ve seen several that just could not make the "leap" between .22lr and even weak-loaded .45's.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,843,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Very cool but still no match against a gun.

Like the video says, they guy has spend years training to do that stuff but you could teach a raw recruit to shoot a gun with acceptably lethal accuracy in a couple days.
I don't know. If I had the choice of being shot with an arrow or a bullet, I think I'd choose the bullet. I think I would freak out more if I had an arrow sticking out of me and a wood stick stuck in my organs, versus a bullet that passed through. The guy in the OP's video is pretty amazing, but archery isn't very practical. I would take a gun for self defense due to ease of use, more rounds, and maneuverability.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:12 PM

The arrow won't be sticking out of you. It will pass thru you without even slowing down. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or