U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,194,624 times

Advertisements

If I'm throwing a pool party or boning my lady or doing whatever else within the presumed privacy of my fenced-in backyard and that privacy is flagrantly violated by a flying camera robot, you can bet your life that I'll do whatever it takes to eliminate said violation by whatever firepower available until said act is illegal, and if it is, I'll fight to change said laws. It's one innocuous thing to fly a drone over public property, but private property? It's going to be very interesting to see how we establish precedents and hash out legislation for when it is and isn't okay for Joe Shmoe private citizen to fly a video camera above someone's head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,428,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
People don't seem to understand that the FAA controls the airspace over the entire country - even people's homes. Once an aircraft is airborne, it's not "on" anyone's property, and the only entity with legal authority over it is the FAA.

That said, I will reiterate that I have no interest in "spying" on people or invading their privacy in any way. I thought I made that exceptionally clear, yet people responded to that exact post with more threats and insults.
The FAA is not controlling the airspace over your backyard It does control the space several hundred feet above your backyard, and only relating to flying crafts.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Sometimes I see a dog running through my neighborhood, and I wonder...could I make that shot? Moving target? How do you resist shooting your neighbor's dog?

Just as the neighbors dog shouldn't be running around YOUR yard, your spy gear shouldn't be invading their yard either. If people can't respect others privacy, drone type toys should not be sold. Respect is earned by respectful behavior like keeping your toys out of other people's private places.

Why would you want to shoot your neighbor's dogs? If there is a problem call the city. If there isn't tell your neighbor the dogs were out.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,194,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Sometimes I see a dog running through my neighborhood, and I wonder...could I make that shot? Moving target? How do you resist shooting your neighbor's dog?

That depends, was the free-roaming pooch released with a video camera strapped onto it, for the intents of filming things that its owner can't/wouldn't film himself in person?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,155,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius View Post
Shooting down drones as sport, resistible or irresistible?
Blast 'em! I think drones offer excellent practice for the waterfowl season, and you may even get some free swag in the process!

Seriously... Does anyone really think one of these proposed "delivery drones" would make it through the ghetto without every kid in the 'hood chucking rocks, shoes or poppin' a couple rounds at them as they fly by hoping to get some free stuff as a result?

What a stupid concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMN View Post
I think the question that needs answering is---- When is a drone trespassing? If a quad copter is hovering 6 feet outside my window and I bring it down with a slingshot I think the drone owner is going to have a hard time suing me, or getting the police to charge me, for damaging his property.
Let him call the cops. He's have an even harder time explaining why he was using his "toy" to act like some kind of pervert. If I can knock out a pervert for peeping in my windows, why shouldn't I be allowed to shoot down a drone doing the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Shooting into the air is always a great idea... Bullets come down too.
They are called "shotguns". Look into it.

Last edited by Annuvin; 02-04-2015 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 01:58 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,183,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
They are called "shotguns". Look into it.
Well any idiot who would fire a weapon into the air in a residential area probably would do it with whatever was on hand.... Be it a shotgun, AK, or 44 magnum.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:43 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
Actually, a good arm flinging a tennis ball or a stick will do about the same thing.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Or one of these: Small Animal Net Gun | MagNet | Wildlife Capture Services | Equipment & Products

Old 02-05-2015, 05:25 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Even here in City limits if your BBs don't leave the yard you are good to go. Drones are fun and cool but keep them on your own property and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:30 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Didn't read through to get caught up, and don't care to. I have only a couple more comments to make, and hopefully they'll cause you guys to consider your positions a little more thoughtfully.

What I saw in this thread is a mirror image of the kind of generalizing that the anti-gun types do. A woman is tragically killed by her child in a store, and all concealed carry permit holders are idiots that are too stupid to own a gun, much less carry one. Sound familiar? Is it accurate?

It enrages me when people that have zero knowledge about a subject decide to take a hard line stance on it, particularly when they're promoting legislative action. If someone came into the forum and declared that anyone seen walking around with a gun should be immediately arrested, what would your response be?

I don't care if you don't like the hobby. I don't even care if, in a blatant demonstration of lawlessness and lack of respect for your neighbors, you shoot down your neighbor's quad because you thought it was too close to your property line. That would be a major a-hole thing to do, but it would be between you, your neighbor and the cops.

What I DO care about is when people that don't know anything about something demand that laws be passed to control it. I know that the vast majority of the people reading this post don't like it when .gov starts talking about placing ineffective and pointless restrictions on the types of guns they can own and what they can do with them - this is the same thing. You want a bunch of useless laws to be passed that are only going to make it more difficult and expensive for me to enjoy my hobby. It's not going to stop the people that actually do use these things for less than honorable purposes from doing what they do.

There are laws that are already on the books which cover your concerns. It's already illegal to peek into a window. It's already illegal to invade people's privacy. There are already laws governing the use of hobby aircraft. They've been on the books for many, many years. They could use some polishing to cover some changes in the technology, but they're there. We don't need any sweeping new laws about these any more than we need sweeping new laws restricting our guns.

I'm recommending the same action that many or most of you have recommended in this forum at one time or another, when asked how to deal with someone that doesn't like guns: Get out there and try one. Flying a quad around is a TON of fun, and if you tried it, you'd probably like it.

That's it. Have a great day, and please resist the urge to shoot down any aircraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting