Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:48 AM

77 posts, read 59,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Sometimes I see a dog running through my neighborhood, and I wonder...could I make that shot? Moving target? How do you resist shooting your neighbor's dog?

What about a human running through the neighbourhood? What makes YOU resist shooting one of them? Is it because you feel they are worth more than a dog? Is it because you think you'll serve less time for shooting someone's dog?

There is a profound & staggering difference between shooting a drone and shooting a sentient being.

Fact is, I actually love dogs more than I love humans. Further fact is, I have a blanket hatred & distrust of 99.9% of humanity, and completely the opposite for dogs.

Have a wonderful day...you human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
If you keep your " property " away from mine we won't have any problems . Flying your little toy over my property is trespassing and an invasion of my privacy . You may expect me to react to that . Call me a hypocrite if you wish , I'll call you an inconsiderate jerk .
You said it. Over your property, not on your property. If you are going to claim property, above what you legally own, what height are you going to claim? Are you going after police helicopters, American airlines, the space shuttle next?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea either and will really have to think about using my single shot savage with the 38 inch barrel and turkey choke. Probably #2 shot will do the trick. But what legal recourse do we have?

I would think that if I could see a camera I would handle it differently than if I didn't see a camera. I mean, if its the neighbor kid with an expensive toy I would think differently than if I saw a camara after seeing a law enforcement vehicle parked down the block.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:46 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
There are height restrictions that aircraft abide to. When was the last time you saw a single engine plane or chopper flying or hovering at your treetops? Or taking photos of your house, your driveway, garage, cars or better yet- your kids or grandkids?

I've read comments on some of these kit-drone operator sites and frankly it's disturbing. They honestly feel they have the right to own the sky anywhere and anytime they feel like it. It's like the morons flying them in Yellowstone Park, having NO RESPECT for anyone else in the park. At some point you ARE infringing on my right to enjoy my privacy on private and public lands. They need to get over their self righteous attitudes.

It seems to me that they have more soul searching to do then we do. Just because you own an RC drone with a camera doesn't give you carte blanche' to do whatever you wish.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
There are height restrictions that aircraft abide to. When was the last time you saw a single engine plane or chopper flying or hovering at your treetops? Or taking photos of your house, your driveway, garage, cars or better yet- your kids or grandkids?

I've read comments on some of these kit-drone operator sites and frankly it's disturbing. They honestly feel they have the right to own the sky anywhere and anytime they feel like it. It's like the morons flying them in Yellowstone Park, having NO RESPECT for anyone else in the park. At some point you ARE infringing on my right to enjoy my privacy on private and public lands. They need to get over their self righteous attitudes.

It seems to me that they have more soul searching to do then we do. Just because you own an RC drone with a camera doesn't give you carte blanche' to do whatever you wish.
I agree, however, its already happening. They need to pass some laws because right now, they do own the sky. We have skeeter spraying during the summer and the crop duster fly's at treetop level. The altitude restrictions are for safety, not privacy. There are no restrictions on them taking photo. If you see a drone, with cameras, you don't know if they are filming you or flying over you to take video of wildlife on the I there side of your property. If they pass a law saying 500 feet, GO-Pro will just get better lenses. What about google maps or google earth?

May by sell tags and have a season?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:19 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I agree, however, its already happening. They need to pass some laws because right now, they do own the sky. We have skeeter spraying during the summer and the crop duster fly's at treetop level. The altitude restrictions are for safety, not privacy. There are no restrictions on them taking photo. If you see a drone, with cameras, you don't know if they are filming you or flying over you to take video of wildlife on the I there side of your property. If they pass a law saying 500 feet, GO-Pro will just get better lenses. What about google maps or google earth?

May by sell tags and have a season?
I'd be up for that. I value my privacy as I'm sure others do. I think advanced RC is going to get into a world of hurt (legally) very soon. Especially given their attitude that 'no rules apply' to them.

And frankly it serves them right.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm blown away that you all are a bunch of yahoos that are just itching to shoot people's equipment up.

You're the people that give gun owners a bad name.

Who's worse? Someone looking at private property or someone destroying private property?

Note that I never advocated "spying" or any other activity that could be construed as such, yet I was attacked and threatened merely because I fly these things. I don't fly anywhere near you. I don't want to fly anywhere near you. Your house is ugly and messes up my view of the landscape. I couldn't care less if you have a trampoline in your yard or if you sunbathe naked. As a matter of fact, that's probably the LAST thing I'd want to see...

Following along with your logic, let me ask you a question. How many people have you murdered today? You're a gun owner, and some gun owners kill people with their guns, so I should naturally assume that you all kill people on a fairly regular basis, right?

You want me to respect your property, but you brag that you want to destroy mine. Hypocrites.
You give up your right to private property when you send it onto mine or use it to spy on me. To answer your question, it is the drone owner that is worse. The drone owner is violating the Constitution, the property owner is protecting their rights under it. Looking is spying if your drone flys over my property. Keep your drone away from my property and you won't have to worry about losing it. Should you decide to retrieve said drone without permission, you also risk losing life, hypothetically speaking.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 AM

60 posts, read 77,271 times
I think the question that needs answering is---- When is a drone trespassing? If a quad copter is hovering 6 feet outside my window and I bring it down with a slingshot I think the drone owner is going to have a hard time suing me, or getting the police to charge me, for damaging his property. I live on 20 acres and every few years a guy knocks on my door holding a professionally framed and matted airal photo of the place. They fly around in an airplane, perfectly legally, and take pictures of homes hoping to sell a print to the homeowners. Many people buy them but I never do since that only encourages the behavior. I don't know if they have switched to using drones yet but their cost would be much less I assume.

I understand RC hobby type fliers are supposedly restricted to flying below a certain altitude, possibly 400 feet. Traditional piloted aircraft are restricted from flying below some similar altitude. To what altitude do my private property rights extend to? I certainly have no right to bring down real aircraft, a drone at 10ft?, 100ft?, 500ft? or 1000ft? It might be a different story.

Assuming one can legally discharge a firearm on your property, it may or may not be safe to do so, if pointed skyward. However the discussion turns into rednecks vs gun haters anytime there is talk of shooting at drones. Assume for a moment that the drone industry, or Estes rockets, perfects a device that will detect any drone under a certain altitude and steer towards it causing a collision. I don't think it would take much to bring one down.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:38 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMN View Post
I think the question that needs answering is---- When is a drone trespassing?
I believe this is the key source of argument in this thread. Drone owners like swagger picture themselves peacefully piloting their drone on their own property, or around a city park, or to explore public lands. They would be rightfully upset at some redneck destroying thousands of dollars worth of personal property because they felt like it, or because the drone happened to swerve 15-ft over the wrong property line.

Probably the same way a dog owner would feel if the same redneck shot their puppy when it slipped its leash and bolted the wrong direction. Just because something crosses an imaginary line and happens to be physically located over some dirt you have a claim on doesn't give you the right to destroy it.

On the other hand, non-owners are picturing a drone hovering and filming outside their bathroom window, or over the backyard swimming pool where their wife and daughter are sunbathing, or buzzing around their rural house hundreds of feet from the nearest property line. Personally, I'd have a hard time not breaking out the shotgun in those situations. This also crosses various "peeping Tom" laws... if something is in public view it's legal to look. But if something otherwise private is only view able with the aid of some other device, like a pair of binoculars, a telescope, or a camera suspended on a drone, then you are breaking the law in some states.

Swagger, if your drone gets caught in one of these situations it deserves to be shot down.

Can we all at least agree to these stipulations?

Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
In many places, it is illegal to discharge a firearm at anything within x number of feet of a residence. And that includes your own residence.

I don't think drone owners should be invading people's privacy, but if people start shooting at them I suspect the law is going to come down a lot harder on the shooter than on the drone pilot.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:01 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You said it. Over your property, not on your property. If you are going to claim property, above what you legally own, what height are you going to claim? Are you going after police helicopters, American airlines, the space shuttle next?
People don't seem to understand that the FAA controls the airspace over the entire country - even people's homes. Once an aircraft is airborne, it's not "on" anyone's property, and the only entity with legal authority over it is the FAA.

That said, I will reiterate that I have no interest in "spying" on people or invading their privacy in any way. I thought I made that exceptionally clear, yet people responded to that exact post with more threats and insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting