U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:04 AM

77 posts, read 43,470 times

Advertisements

When the delivery drones & police drones begin to buzz around our skies, will you have any temptation to shoot them down as a kind of sport---even though it will be illegal?

The news recently reported that drug cartels in Mexico are using drones carrying drugs to fly over the border into the USA. If I had the resources I would make sport of capturing those drones...or at least shooting them down. I reckon most of them land in the desert...The trick is to shoot them down long before they reach their destination and those who are waiting for them.

Shooting down drones as sport, resistible or irresistible?

And if you find it repulsive that anyone would want to shoot down a drone, what do you suggest will stop anyone from doing so? Cameras?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,699,095 times
Many of them are relaying video back to the operators, and most are equipped with GPS. So they'll know where you are and what you look like (or at least what you're wearing).

If you choose to do that, there's a good chance you'll get caught.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:30 PM

2,939 posts, read 3,342,248 times
I've wondered what a laser light would do to those. Would it mess up the camera?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:50 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,399,349 times
Take over the control radio frequency or just radio frequency jam it!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:31 PM

5,998 posts, read 6,371,798 times
We tried shooting down a drone at a BBQ at our shooting club. The dum bass piloting the plane crashed it before anyone got a shot off.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:38 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,699,095 times
[Mod cut]
Let's just say that if you shoot my quad out of the sky, you'd better be willing to face the consequences of your actions.

And btw, what kind of a-hole does one have to be to want to destroy other people's private property without provocation?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-26-2015 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Orphanded quote.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,756,612 times
I wonder what new laws will be made, now that some genius / idiot crashed one on the White House lawn?!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 PM

10,953 posts, read 14,608,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
[Mod cut]
Let's just say that if you shoot my quad out of the sky, you'd better be willing to face the consequences of your actions.

And btw, what kind of a-hole does one have to be to want to destroy other people's private property without provocation?
Don't fly over my home or property without my permission, especially taking snaps. My home and castle are none of your business and if you think it is, well you'd better be willing to face the consequences of your actions.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:40 AM

77 posts, read 43,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Many of them are relaying video back to the operators, and most are equipped with GPS. So they'll know where you are and what you look like (or at least what you're wearing).

If you choose to do that, there's a good chance you'll get caught.

[Mod cut]

I am saying it will be a sport of sorts.
I might dress ninja-style---all in black from head to toe.
I might only go hunting at night. I might utilize radar and night-vision.
I won't just stand in the middle of the street or my backyard in broad daylight firing shots at the sky with my rocksalt shotgun.

Also, as it will be a sport, there will be an inherent challenge to shoot one out of the sky from the farthest distance possible.

It's all hypothetical for me personally, but you can bet your bottom dollar that drone-shooting/capturing will most definitely be a "sport" and a problem for the owners of those drones.

Is this not obvious?

I really & truly believe that flying drones will definitely be considered a nuisance & pest by some people, and I believe that some people---especially gun owners (and teenagers)---will definitely find it irresistible to shoot the things down.

In anticipation of your question as to what kind of [Mod cut] would want to destroy someone's property without provocation----ask your government about Syria & Iraq & Iran & Afghanistan & Vietnam. For a different point of view, ask the civilian men, women, and children of those countries who were killed or maimed for life.

No, but seriously, I have to admit it: I am one of those [Mod cut] who would, if he could, capture a flying drone. I don't know why! Maybe it's the cat in me! The very idea of those ugly spider-looking things flying through the sky and/or over my house with their gosh-darn cameras, it's like catnip flavoured feathers on the end of a string dangling in the air! Come here you!

Peace, bro. Peace with personality. It's all meant in good fun.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-27-2015 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Discussing mod actions, language. Please familiarize yourself with the TOS.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:36 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,156,359 times
I don't have a need for a shotgun but shooting down drones sounds like fun. The area right above my house I am calling a no fly zone so I'll be on the look out for my first "drone kill".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting