Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:55 PM

141 posts, read 162,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
How much does something like that set you back if'n you don't mind me ask'n?
I gave $600 for it brand new quite a few years ago. The all stainless ones cost more than the polymer models.

Just for a point of reference.....anyone who blows smoke about Kahr and their quality needs to talk to NYPD about that. It was their off duty and back up gun for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:14 PM

Here's some reviews and range time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvWSTmlx8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7hsLIJWLek

Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Thanks OCP Island!

Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks OCP Island!
I love this pistol if you couldn't already tell it.

When I need something smaller than my Glock G-27 and G-33.....it's where I always go!

Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
I have a Kahr E9 all metal and all black 9mm for years now and it is a great firearm. The CW9 is also a good firearm but IMHO unless something has changed, the rails have no metal in them, thus if you shoot a lot, then I would stay away from any polymer guns that does not have reinforced rails.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I have a Kahr E9 all metal and all black 9mm for years now and it is a great firearm. The CW9 is also a good firearm but IMHO unless something has changed, the rails have no metal in them, thus if you shoot a lot, then I would stay away from any polymer guns that does not have reinforced rails.
That is totally NOT true, Mr. Lee - the Kahr poly pistols ALL have steel rails imbedded in the frame. Check the discussion out on Kahrtalk for the truth.

Anyway, the CW9 will fall somewhere between my new CT380 ($289 at Bud's) and the CW45 ($345 at Bud's) - both shoot better than I can, and both have imbedded steel rails in the poly frames. The CT380 weighs in at 16 ounces fully loaded (7+1) and the CW45 at 27 ounces with 6+1:

Old 02-03-2015, 01:27 PM

Here's a pic I Googled up of a PM9:

Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Here's a pic I Googled up of a PM9:
Note that the top rails are plastic and even look pretty well worn in the photo you provided. I saw a CW.45 where the top rails were cracked badly but that was a few years ago, maybe they have gotten better but if the top rails are still totally made of plastic, then once again I would say to think twice if a person shoots a lot.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
I'm seriously considering the Shield as well. Out of the Kahr CW9, the Ruger LC9, and the Shield, the Shield is by far my favorite. If it were two ounces lighter and had a heavier, longer trigger pull, I'd be sold. Am I just splitting hairs with the two ounces thing though? It doesn't sound like much, but as they say, every ounce counts.

Do you carry it IWB? How does it ride? Is it real weighty?
I do IWB , with a single-clip holster (just a gun show cheapie-Hulme IIRC). It carries fine, I don't notice it as "tippy". It's pretty thin, with nice, rounded edges and is very comfortable. Going just by looks, I'd think the Kahr would be less comfortable-it seems much "blockier". Though I have absolutely NO experience with one so can't judge.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Note that the top rails are plastic and even look pretty well worn in the photo you provided. I saw a CW.45 where the top rails were cracked badly but that was a few years ago, maybe they have gotten better but if the top rails are still totally made of plastic, then once again I would say to think twice if a person shoots a lot.
The slide does NOT ride on the plastic top edges (which are NOT the rails) - it rides on the steel rails as noted. All the plastic top edges do is act as guides when reassembling the slide to the frame.

You saw a CW45 with a cracked slide years ago and judge them all by that? If that's the case, why would you buy any gun, major brand or not? Have read of all kinds of problems owners have had with Glocks, H&K, Sigs, Colts, S&W, Remingtons, Berrettas.... you name it.

Kahrs are good for tens of thousands of rounds and have thousands of satisfied owners, but they are susceptible to breakage & malfunctions just like any other brand. - steel frame, Tupperware frame, aluminum, what have you.

I like my 3 Kahr poly pistols (PM9, CW45, CT380), my three Rugers (SR9, SR45, LCP), and my KelTec P32. All shoot very well and are reliable after many rounds downrange.

I also like all my steel frame pistols & wheelguns, including a SA 1911, several S&W revolvers from .22 to .44 Magnum, Ruger revolvers (.22 to .357) and a few others.

Only two guns that never functioned well for me were an AMT .380 Backup (stainless steel) and a KelTec P3AT - got rid of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting