Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:52 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You can buy a gun in all those states, you just can't buy any gun you feel like. The 2nd amendment is not absolute.
I can buy almost any gun I want because NC law alows that not the 2nd amendment.
You can make an argument that those states are non-compliant with their laws. "Regulating" has bled over into "infringing" and that is unlawful by the U.S. Constitution. Arbitrary rules on what's allowed and what is not isn't regulating. It's infringement of the people to keep and bear arms, which as the Amendment says, shall not be infringed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:05 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You can make an argument that those states are non-compliant with their laws. "Regulating" has bled over into "infringing" and that is unlawful by the U.S. Constitution. Arbitrary rules on what's allowed and what is not isn't regulating. It's infringement of the people to keep and bear arms, which as the Amendment says, shall not be infringed.

try telling the feds that. they never have any problem at all with infringing upon everyone else's rights except their own.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I am gun owner that has no need for high caliber guns so I don't care if some states outlaw them. I have no fear of politicians doing away with the second amendment.
The NRA keeps that fear alive and since the NRA is no longer a gun safety organization geared towards hunters but just an arm of the Republican/Tea party I have no desire to contribute to their right wing political candidates.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:55 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The militia is simply referenced because it was common for the people to form a militia.

but the peoples right as individuals shall not be infringed upon.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
I am gun owner that has no need for high caliber guns so I don't care if some states outlaw them. I have no fear of politicians doing away with the second amendment.
The NRA keeps that fear alive and since the NRA is no longer a gun safety organization geared towards hunters but just an arm of the Republican/Tea party I have no desire to contribute to their right wing political candidates.
The NRA was never ''...a gun safety organization geared towards hunters...'' but rather an organization for shooters, primarily with current military rifles and handguns. It evolved from the Seventh Regiment Rifle Club in NYC to become the NRA in 1871. Prior to Franklin Roosevelt the president of the United States was always named as the president of the NRA. The NRA began active political action after World War II; by 1968 it was becoming a strong political force with members of both political parties as members. In fact, in the vote on the Gun Control Act more Democrats than Republicans were on the side of the constitution.

When it looked as if our gun shows were lost in 2000 after the Senate passed a bill requiring universal background checks at gun shows, otherwise liberal Democrat John Dingell of Michigan almost single-handedly used his knowledge of parlimentary legerdemain to trash it in the House. You're getting this from a conservative Republican but one who puts the constitution above all else.

The Heller decision from a Republican court treated the Second Amendment as an inferior amendment. Republicans have been just as enthusiastic as Democrats in gutting the Fourth Amendment. After the Fourth Amendment went down the drain why would the Second Amendment be secure?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 PM

685 posts, read 720,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
I live in TX, the gun law is pretty loose. I know CA has more strict gun laws. How does it work in your state?
When we came to NC @1996 to check out jobs, I kept seeing "No guns allowed inside." Something like that and wondered what the heck... About 15 years later, we moved to Western NC. It's fairly legal here to carry firearms in the open and don't bring guns in when a sign is up. Want conceal to carry? Take a class and you can.

The permit to buy was easy - background check was run quickly and was cheap. We're thinking about a rifle next. But we're within city limits, so can't legally fire them in our backyard. But there are nearby shooting ranges.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:38 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Texas is not LOOSE with their gun laws!
They are closer to the middle of the states...far from being a gun friendly state. They are in the same group as CA, NY, NJ, IL and a few others....hardly loose.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
I am gun owner that has no need for high caliber guns so I don't care if some states outlaw them.
Fortunately, the Second Amendment isn't based solely on your needs, which are, of course, irrelevant to the general public..

Quote:
I have no fear of politicians doing away with the second amendment.
There is a process for repealing an amendment. I actually wish they'd try it rather than all these subtle attempts to undermine it. At least a frontal assault carries with it a certain degree of intellectual honesty.

Quote:
Non-starter through and through. I've made no mention of the NRA or their politics. I'm not a member and likely never will be. Not sure why you felt compelled to bring them up.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 AM

195 posts, read 186,249 times
why do you live in such states, paying 20k or more a year in taxes to our enemies? that's not the action of a friend.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Here in Colorado we have a very anti gun Governor. If I buy a firearm from a private citizen, that person has to do a background check on me. IF a friend loans me a firearm so I can go target practicing, a background check has to be completed. Same thing on gun shows, background checks required of purchasers. Types of firearms, capacity of magazines, very restricted.

But by golly, you can walk into a store and buy drugs legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting