U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's a better first gun for a beginner?
.22lr 20 64.52%
9mm 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 19 days ago)

10,289 posts, read 10,446,371 times

Advertisements

I'd go with the 9mm simply because right now the ammo is more readily available. And at the currently inflated prices of .22lr, 9mm is actually not that much more expensive. The last time I found .22lr on Palmetto State it was $50 for the box of Federal 525. At the same time, they had PMC 9mm ball for $10 per box of 50. So five boxes cost you 50 bucks and you are just 25 rounds shy of the .22lr bulk box. BTW, once in a while those bulk boxes show up in our local retailer and they sell for ~ $24. So if you're willing to wait and leave it to chance, you may be able to find .22lr for prices closer to the equilibrium pre-frenzy.

Lastly if your budget allows, get one of each. The ladies have a saying, "If the shoe fits, buy one in every color." We can play that game too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,677,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I'm starting the process of getting a gun permit. I am a complete newbie when it comes to guns. I have shot a 9 mm and a 22 once or twice. I was surprised at how much more kick a 9mm had compared to the 22, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Which would be a better caliber to get as a first gun?

I was initially thinking of going with a 22lr. I could hone my skills with it and I've heard they're a lot of fun to shoot. But when I started doing research, it seems that 22lr ammo can be very difficult to find and/or the sellers jack up the price. Keep in mind I'm in MA so ordering online is not really an option.

9mm is very common and seems to have a lot more stopping power than a 22 round. With practice, it would also make me more used to dealing with recoil and adjusting the aim back to the target.

Right now, I see guns/shooting as a potentially fun hobby. I'm not preparing for the apocalypse and I don't have an major concerns about self-defense. So I don't NEED the power of a 9mm (though it is kinda fun to shoot )
For the first gun for an adult with normal hand strength, get a full-size 9mm. Pistols in .22LR can be fun, but nothing like a 9mm that fits your hand perfectly. Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield Armory XD, etc. all have somewhat comparable price points and reliability (fan-boys notwithstanding). A Walther PPQ or Sig 250 will be a little more expensive but arguably of better quality. Go to a gun store and hold them. Rent or borrow one to shoot at a range. In the end, get the one that fits your hand best or has the best sale price.

Plus you mentioned "gun permit" and "stopping power". If a .22 is the biggest gun you can shoot, then get that. There's nothing wrong with having a .22LR for practice (Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark III for precision target practice; Ruger SR22 or Walther P22 for practical defense practice). But assuming you are an adult with normal hand strength, if you're only getting one handgun, get one you can use in multiple ways.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM

9,792 posts, read 7,106,581 times
22 rounds are bound to come down in price so I would go with a 22LR.

What is cool about the 22LR is you can use it in a rifle or a handgun and both are fun for plinking. As your interest in the hobby grows so will your arsenal. I think everyone who owns more than 2 guns has at least one that shoots 22LR.

When you get your permit go visit a good gun store with lots of stock and hold some guns to see how they fit. It would be even better if you could try them out. Be sure to check out the preowned guns too so you can save a few bucks. A quality gun that is taken care of hold their values pretty good.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,589,323 times
I own a Ruger Mark II heavy target barrel .22lr and it is an amazing firearm. Extremely accurate, very fun to shoot, utterly reliable. I've clocked squirrels at over 75yds (using a rest) with open sights. I would not hesitate one bit to use it as a defense weapon. I can comfortably drop multiple rounds rather quickly into a soda can.

However I leave my defense duties to a 12 ga with 00 buck.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM

48,893 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I vote a .22lr because that's what I learned on and what I shoot most frequently. It's a good round to learn all the basics and foundations for shooting any other round. You won't break the bank and you will have fun shooting it. Hell I've shot more game with a .22 than anything else, maybe except my bow.

Get a good .22lr rifle and have fun, learn and move up when you are ready.
My vote too.

I probably put a couple thousand rounds easy through my old ruger 10-22 and they are great little guns for a new shooter.

I bought mine when I was 12.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:33 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
I'm picking up 22lr regularly now for 5cents less a round.

I'd get a 22lr rifle and a 9mm Glock Or Highpoint if I was in your position OP.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:34 PM

9,185 posts, read 10,131,783 times
I love plinking. It's fun. I have a Browning Medalist, the pistol that didn't qyuite make it in competition, but for about a thousand dollars provides as much or more accuracy than 99% of shooters will ever need. It's important that the gun is more accurate than the shooter. Otherwise, shooting becomes frustrating. The Medalist is still a favorite of competition shooters for plinking. Yes, they enjoy plinking just as much as anyone.

The pistol has a feature that allows dry firing without battering the firing pin. The grips fit like a glove. It's almost as if I put it on rather than pick it up.

I was showing it to one of the ''tacticool'' boys once. He picked it up and immediately brought his left hand up for a two-hand grip. I just rolled my eyes. Can't he shoot a gun with one hand? Once upon a time, men and women stood on their hind legs and shot with one hand at a little paper target twenty-five yards away. They didn't use silhouettes or ''fun'' targets that leave plenty of room for error. The bulleseye target tells the tale. Your shooting abilities are right there for you to see.

It makes a person a shooter. Some years ago gun designer Walter Roper conceived an interesting experiment. He took a standard 25 yard pistol target which is printed on a square sheet of paper; the reverse is blank. He reversed the target; then he and a friend began to shoot for center. They find thaat their scores were the same. The human eye is a wonderful thing.

When the shooter learns bullseye shooting the transition to defensive shooting or plinking is automatic. However, the reverse doesn't work. Anyone who can effectively hit a target at 25 yards can do it at 7 yards (the proclaimed ''combat'' maximum''); the reverse doesn't work.

Now, a Medalist doesn't even come close to fitting into a pocket; it would need a holster desigmed just for it. People carry their Medalists in a case.

Julian Hatcher, top target shooter, experimenter, engineer, outstanding gun writer, and Chief of Ordnance of the US Army during World War II carried a Colt Bankers Special .22, a relatively small revolver. Hatcher carried it on his rambles and loaded it with the .22 short. (take note; a revolver allows the use of a .22 short in a gun chambered for .22 long rifle; the auto pistol does not) This was his casual plinker. I sure wouldn't have wished to face Hatcher in any sort of armed confrontation were he armed with a .22 short and I with a .357 magnum or .45 auto.

Stopping power is only important to the shooter who can hit the target. American police hit their targets 10% of the time in gunfights (I mean anyplace on their bodies). What difference does it make what they carry; they'd be better off with garden hoses.

The .22 opens a world of fun and adventure.+

Old 01-28-2015, 01:35 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
^^Well yeah all that too^^

Old 01-28-2015, 06:57 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,904,183 times
Thanks for the info!

The main reason I asked was I see pros and cons of both and I didn't really want to get a 22 handgun and a 9mm handgun. But I hadn't considered a rifle. It sounds like a 22 rifle can be a lot of fun - and they aren't too expensive.

So I think I may go ahead with a 9mm handgun and then soon after pick up a 22 rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
I know someone with a cape will swoop in and say a .22 is fine for HD/SD duty. It isn't....it's not allowed in most CCW courses and for good reason.
What's the reason for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I hate these "what's best for who" threads, because people are all different. Now, if you ask "what caliber is the minimum for X job..." well, that has a more concrete answer...and people will STILL debate it for many pages.
I think that's kind of the point of these types of forums - to discuss subjective opinions. If I wanted to know more objective things like which gun is bigger, what ammo has more power, etc, I'd just look it up on Google.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 19 days ago)

10,289 posts, read 10,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Thanks for the info!

The main reason I asked was I see pros and cons of both and I didn't really want to get a 22 handgun and a 9mm handgun. But I hadn't considered a rifle. It sounds like a 22 rifle can be a lot of fun - and they aren't too expensive.

So I think I may go ahead with a 9mm handgun and then soon after pick up a 22 rifle.
Excellant! Just a warning: this is how it starts. Before you know it you'll have 10 guns in your collection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting