U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's a better first gun for a beginner?
.22lr 20 64.52%
9mm 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:42 PM

5,220 posts, read 2,375,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
I have a older USA blued and a limited edition Italian all stainless. For target work you wouldn't be disappointed.

9mm kings are Sig Sauer P-226/P-228, Glock G-17/G-19, Beretta 92FS/M9, CZ-75B, Browning Hi-Power.......

Then all the other children......
I'm curious. . . What makes those the kings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Handgun: You must purchase through an FFL in your state. This means you have to get an FFL out of state to transfer (ship) the handgun to an FFL in-state who transfers it to you. Many stores near state lines have reciprocal arrangements with an FFL across the line so the fee isn't that huge.
You can purchase from anyone you want to in any state. It must be transferred to you through an FFL in your state. There is no law requiring it to be sent from an FFL.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:04 PM

141 posts, read 114,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zardac View Post
Armed Forces: Quick Kill - TIME

You're right on with the "young hero" designation... except the youth and heroism- that's me!
I know I was right, it's my Sr. aka "old man" "Dad".

You didn't think a Army guy would get away with insulting a Marine like that elsewhere, did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Point away!! The last time I was at a local gun show, 1000 rounds of reloaded 9mm ran me $189! And that was up from the $160 I had paid just the month before!!
Roll your own, you'll save big money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I'm curious. . . What makes those the kings?
You're looking at some of the most popular, most reliable, accurate and well used "wonder 9s" in the world. The U.S. Military, NATO and Law Enforcement agencies across the globe won't dispute that fact. I left out HK on purpose....they perform very well, however their price-point and availability of replacement parts puts them out of the realm of most civilians.

XDms and S&W M&Ps need to get some more mileage in before holding a title like that. These go back to the 1980s at the latest. The Browning Hi-Power 1920s and 1930s. That's a long long track record. I can vouch for their well earned reputation, I have them in my own personal collection and have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through the course of my lifetime through most of these. I have a 2nd Gen Glock 19 I bought in 1993 that I put well over 25,000 through that same weapon.

You wouldn't be disappointed with any that I have listed.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You're looking at some of the most popular, most reliable, accurate and well used "wonder 9s" in the world. The U.S. Military, NATO and Law Enforcement agencies across the globe won't dispute that fact. I left out HK on purpose....they perform very well, however their price-point and availability of replacement parts puts them out of the realm of most civilians.

XDms and S&W M&Ps need to get some more mileage in before holding a title like that. These go back to the 1980s at the latest. The Browning Hi-Power 1920s and 1930s. That's a long long track record. I can vouch for their well earned reputation, I have them in my own personal collection and have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through the course of my lifetime through most of these. I have a 2nd Gen Glock 19 I bought in 1993 that I put well over 25,000 through that same weapon.

You wouldn't be disappointed with any that I have listed.
I would agree with you on the Glocks. The rest, I'm not so sure about.

Military and police usage really skews the data, but often times, police and military contracts are decided on factors other than "what's best."

Take a look at the two most popular "action shooting" games, USPSA and IDPA. What guns are shooters buying (with their own money) and winning with? In the categories that allow it, it is some form of 1911. In all other categories (except revolver) it is Glock and S&W M&P. All of the others, the Sigs, the HK's, the XD's, the Beretta's, etc. are hardly a blip on the radar. If any of those guns were "Kings" we would expect to see them in the winners circle. And that rarely happens.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I would agree with you on the Glocks. The rest, I'm not so sure about.

Military and police usage really skews the data, but often times, police and military contracts are decided on factors other than "what's best."

Take a look at the two most popular "action shooting" games, USPSA and IDPA. What guns are shooters buying (with their own money) and winning with? In the categories that allow it, it is some form of 1911. In all other categories (except revolver) it is Glock and S&W M&P. All of the others, the Sigs, the HK's, the XD's, the Beretta's, etc. are hardly a blip on the radar. If any of those guns were "Kings" we would expect to see them in the winners circle. And that rarely happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlrVMz7ILgU

Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Interesting video, but it has nothing to do with what I posted.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Interesting video, but it has nothing to do with what I posted.
Sig Sauer P-226 Navy or MK25. I have one here.......wanna see it?

Also HK MP5 Navy. Don't have one of those here.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Sig Sauer P-226 Navy or MK25. I have one here.......wanna see it?

Also HK MP5 Navy. Don't have one of those here.
Oh, I am well aware of the weapons used by the SEAL's. I started shooting IPSC back in the early '80's in San Diego, and I have shot with a number of them. Is your contention that if a weapon is used by the SEAL's that it deserves "King" status?

Again, take a look at the civilian dominated action shooting games. It is an extremely rare event to see a SIG (any model) being shot by a winning shooter. If that list of weapons (Sigs, the HK's, the XD's, the Beretta's, etc.) were "Kings" they would be dominating the action shooting games. They don't. They never have. It is highly unlikely that they ever will. And unfortunately, a video of SEAL's shooting MP-5's doesn't change that.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, I am well aware of the weapons used by the SEAL's. I started shooting IPSC back in the early '80's in San Diego, and I have shot with a number of them. Is your contention that if a weapon is used by the SEAL's that it deserves "King" status?

Again, take a look at the civilian dominated action shooting games. It is an extremely rare event to see a SIG (any model) being shot by a winning shooter. If that list of weapons (Sigs, the HK's, the XD's, the Beretta's, etc.) were "Kings" they would be dominating the action shooting games. They don't. They never have. It is highly unlikely that they ever will. And unfortunately, a video of SEAL's shooting MP-5's doesn't change that.
It should!

Old 01-30-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
It should!

OK, I'll play along. Why should it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting