U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's a better first gun for a beginner?
.22lr 20 64.52%
9mm 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,904,183 times

Advertisements

I'm starting the process of getting a gun permit. I am a complete newbie when it comes to guns. I have shot a 9 mm and a 22 once or twice. I was surprised at how much more kick a 9mm had compared to the 22, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Which would be a better caliber to get as a first gun?

I was initially thinking of going with a 22lr. I could hone my skills with it and I've heard they're a lot of fun to shoot. But when I started doing research, it seems that 22lr ammo can be very difficult to find and/or the sellers jack up the price. Keep in mind I'm in MA so ordering online is not really an option.

9mm is very common and seems to have a lot more stopping power than a 22 round. With practice, it would also make me more used to dealing with recoil and adjusting the aim back to the target.

Right now, I see guns/shooting as a potentially fun hobby. I'm not preparing for the apocalypse and I don't have an major concerns about self-defense. So I don't NEED the power of a 9mm (though it is kinda fun to shoot )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:42 PM

141 posts, read 114,444 times
Kids .22

Adults 9mm

Ammo price isn't that different in today's market. You'll be more happy with your purchase in the end of you get a 9mm. It's a keeper and multipurpose. I know someone with a cape will swoop in and say a .22 is fine for HD/SD duty. It isn't....it's not allowed in most CCW courses and for good reason.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 PM

9,186 posts, read 10,131,783 times
Kids: .22

Adults: .22

The .22 is the cartridge for learning, for practice, and for fun. I've been shooting for sixty-one years; my favorite is the .22. I can shoot centerfires cheaply because I make my own bullets as well as handload, but 75% of what I shoot is .22. It's the cheapest to shoot, but that's not the only reason.

Get something relatively small that you can slip into your pocket. I recommend a revolver with a 2'' barrel and adjustable sights. Both Smith & Wesson and Taurus make dandies. You can buy low power loads that you can use in your basement. You can buy peppier loads for defence. You can even buy shot loads.

The .22 is relatively quiet, particularly if you use loads marked either "standard velocity'' or "subsonic.'' That means that you can shoot in many places where you might otherwise disturb people. When you're rambling the woods and see an errant pine cone or dirt clod you can dispatch it without worrying about hearing protection or deafening yourself or your dog. If you've only shot in an indoor range you can't believe how different it is to shoot outside.

Later, you can add other guns as your knowledge and interest progress.

I just remembered where you live. You can, however, make a short trip north where you can ramble the woods and carry concealed with no permit. Vermont gunshows should be good places to buy ammo as well although don't forget your local shows or New York shows. Vermont may have only one Walmart and I don't know where it is, but your local Walmart may have ammo; almost all Walmarts do.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,589,323 times
I vote a .22lr because that's what I learned on and what I shoot most frequently. It's a good round to learn all the basics and foundations for shooting any other round. You won't break the bank and you will have fun shooting it. Hell I've shot more game with a .22 than anything else, maybe except my bow.

Get a good .22lr rifle and have fun, learn and move up when you are ready.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Kids: .22

Adults: .22

The .22 is the cartridge for learning, for practice, and for fun. I've been shooting for sixty-one years; my favorite is the .22. I can shoot centerfires cheaply because I make my own bullets as well as handload, but 75% of what I shoot is .22. It's the cheapest to shoot, but that's not the only reason.

Get something relatively small that you can slip into your pocket. I recommend a revolver with a 2'' barrel and adjustable sights. Both Smith & Wesson and Taurus make dandies. You can buy low power loads that you can use in your basement. You can buy peppier loads for defence. You can even buy shot loads.

The .22 is relatively quiet, particularly if you use loads marked either "standard velocity'' or "subsonic.'' That means that you can shoot in many places where you might otherwise disturb people. When you're rambling the woods and see an errant pine cone or dirt clod you can dispatch it without worrying about hearing protection or deafening yourself or your dog. If you've only shot in an indoor range you can't believe how different it is to shoot outside.

Later, you can add other guns as your knowledge and interest progress.
I load 9mm and .38 Specials for less than $5 a box. When is the last time you saw a $5 box of .22s?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I vote a .22lr because that's what I learned on and what I shoot most frequently. It's a good round to learn all the basics and foundations for shooting any other round. You won't break the bank and you will have fun shooting it. Hell I've shot more game with a .22 than anything else, maybe except my bow.

Get a good .22lr rifle and have fun, learn and move up when you are ready.
Except you won't be allowed in to most CCW courses with one. Check your own out first before purchasing anything.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:41 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
I load 9mm and .38 Specials for less than $5 a box. When is the last time you saw a $5 box of .22s?
I just purchased a carton, of 555 ends of Winchester for $23. Not on sale. Round for round its cheaper than your reloads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
Except you won't be allowed in to most CCW courses with one. Check your own out first before purchasing anything.
The op specified he wasn't concerned with self defense and hasn't mentioned getting a CCW.. Just wants a new hobby.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,991 times
A lot of things factor, here. The first pistol an X GF of mine really enjoyed was a compact 357SIG. For other people, even a .22 is "stressful". I hate these "what's best for who" threads, because people are all different. Now, if you ask "what caliber is the minimum for X job..." well, that has a more concrete answer...and people will STILL debate it for many pages.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:19 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,538,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I'm starting the process of getting a gun permit. I am a complete newbie when it comes to guns. I have shot a 9 mm and a 22 once or twice. I was surprised at how much more kick a 9mm had compared to the 22, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Which would be a better caliber to get as a first gun?

I was initially thinking of going with a 22lr. I could hone my skills with it and I've heard they're a lot of fun to shoot. But when I started doing research, it seems that 22lr ammo can be very difficult to find and/or the sellers jack up the price. Keep in mind I'm in MA so ordering online is not really an option.

9mm is very common and seems to have a lot more stopping power than a 22 round. With practice, it would also make me more used to dealing with recoil and adjusting the aim back to the target.

Right now, I see guns/shooting as a potentially fun hobby. I'm not preparing for the apocalypse and I don't have an major concerns about self-defense. So I don't NEED the power of a 9mm (though it is kinda fun to shoot )

22LR. why? because of the very low recoil, it will allow an instructor to teach the student the proper techniques on how to hold the firearm and how to shoot the firearm without the student being afraid of the recoil. moving up to a larger caliber after the student has been taught with a proper instructor will not be hard at all.

when I used to teach people CCW classes in Wisconsin, the people that had never shot a firearm before, I would always start them on a 22LR so they could work their way up to a larger caliber after learning how to control the firearm without fearing the recoil of a larger caliber.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:59 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
My first gun was a Smith 357 Magnum. 2nd is a 22.

The magnum ammo is too expensive for everyday plinking so I shoot the 22 almost exclusively and keep the Magnum for in home, in car, protection.

It is absolute nonsense that a 22 is no good for self protection. Ask anybody who has been shot in the head with a 22 if it hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting