U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:50 AM

5,221 posts, read 2,378,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Sorry I did not see this earlier-

Yes- I do own a Diamond D holster for my Ruger Blackhawk .44mag and it is quite comfortable and very handy. It has a lot of adjustability so you can swap it from chest carry to side carry quite readily.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 PM

5,998 posts, read 6,363,201 times
Hey I just had an idea. I know in some places unless you have a hunting license you can't carry a long gun for personal defense, you know against grizzly bears, two legged snakes, zombies, etc.

So, has anyone considered carrying a 'pistol' like an AK Draco? Gives you 40 rounds of 7.62.

Also what would be the effect of shooting a bear with a 10" AK vs a full length? In some places along with bear one might stumble into pot growers, stills or other wild animals like boar.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:38 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
If you want the AK action just carry a short barreled psl/Romak. Some more weight but they make after market stuff for them. Pretty much the equivalent of a .308 and lots of 180-200 grain loads available.

I'd carry the Romak or Sar8 in bear stuff. A Good light carbine with lots of rounds. Even the 7400 would be a good choice. A lot of these guns are known as jammers but in 1.2 seconds it's the first shot that is going to make the outcome. My cuz carried a FULL auto ak as a bush pilot. He often said if it wasn't for the full auto part he would have carried a .45.70 instead.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
He often said if it wasn't for the full auto part he would have carried a .45.70 instead.
I keep coming back to this... If I had my preference, and money were no object, my first choice would be a lever-gun in .45-70. Lightweight, quick-handling, very powerful.

My second choice for general carry in bear country would be a semi-auto M1A SOCOM 16 or Scout in .308Win. Twice as powerful as the AK, same capacity and rate of fire, same or better ultra-reliability.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:59 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,378,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I keep coming back to this... If I had my preference, and money were no object, my first choice would be a lever-gun in .45-70. Lightweight, quick-handling, very powerful.

My second choice for general carry in bear country would be a semi-auto M1A SOCOM 16 or Scout in .308Win. Twice as powerful as the AK, same capacity and rate of fire, same or better ultra-reliability.
There are a number of shops doing custom take-down versions of these. Very convenient in a float plane.

This is one version:

Takedown Lever Actions

Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 PM

10,948 posts, read 14,593,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There are a number of shops doing custom take-down versions of these. Very convenient in a float plane.

This is one version:

Takedown Lever Actions
I really love my .45-70 guide gun. It's an older 'Marlin' model with nice wood and tight tolerances. Accurate enough, light enough and just fun to shoot. Stock recoil pad, no ported barrel- just a good plain Jane shooter.

I previously owned a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem, and that was also a great gun, and very accurate for a lever action. Should not have sold that one..

Old 03-13-2015, 12:40 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,170,530 times
......Hey Threerun, thanks for the 'link' shown above. ......good info.....great web site.

Agree re the .45/70............in 1996 I took a 7'3" Black Bear with a 405gr lead flat point out of a 1886 Winchester (replica) at approx 30 yards...............hit just above the left shoulder on a broadside shot........he never even took a step........just fell over.
I think that the 45/70 loaded with a Nosler Partition (300gr) would be adequate for a Grizzly within 50 yards.......thus allowing for precise bullet placement (in the spine or to break a shoulder). IMO a Premium Type Bullet would be required to get the penetration necessary to disable the bear and allow for one or more follow-up shots, if required...............Just my opinion.
I will admit however, I used a 300gr Nosler Partition (my handload) out of a .375 H&H to take my Brown Bear on Kodiak in November of 1991.
With the amount of money a Brown Bear hunt cost..............I wanted to be sure "I had-enough-gun"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting