U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:17 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,207 times

Advertisements

In approx 2 months I'll be 83 yr old & have killed a Kodiak (Grizzly) in the mountains on the east side of Kashouyak Bay on Kodaik Is. when I was 60 yr old, in a mid November snow storm on a very steep, heavily brushed & treed mountain side at 1380 feet elevation after a 4 four hour stalk ---from Sea Level!!!
The Video "linked" to Post #75 in this Thread is about a Handgun Hunt (for an Interior Grizzly) in the area of the Talkeetna Mts in Interior Ak on Stephan Lake. Owner & Master Guide Jim Bailey of Stephan Lake Lodge owns the "206" Float Plane shown. He also owns a very primative Bear Camp for Kodiaks......this is what I chose consisting of: (an all steel (bear proof) cooking, storage and eating shack, a separate rustic sleeping cabin for the hunter, & another sleeping cabin for Jim Bailey, his cook, an ass't Guide and a packer).
Bailey was my guide on my hunt. (He has approx 40 yrs experience hunting Grizzly & Brown Bears.) I chose the hunt for a Kodiak Bear vs an Interior Grizzly---Interior Griz are usually about 30 % smaller.
Having hunted big game for over 50 yrs I feel there are IMHO several factors that determine what type of firearm and caliber and bullet are the logical and safe and effective combination for a Grizzly or Kodiak Brown Bear (grizzly).

(NOTE:....Bailey was very pleased that I was using a Modified Mauser Controlled Feed Bolt Action in .375 H&H Mag handloaded with Nosler Partition 300gr bullets and a Leupold 1 1/2 to 6 scope (iron sights also on the rifle.) His rifle for back-up was also a .375 H&H. (NOTE: Controlled Feed means that you can have the rifle upside down, work the bolt to chamber a round and NOT have the cartridge fall out of the action.)

His requirements included for a Kodiak Bear hunt: A Seasoned hunter of Big Game; very familiar with using the chosen gun; a minimum of .338 caliber and MOST IMPORTANT, bullet construction that would allow sufficient penetration to 'Break-a-shoulder', or a "spine-shot" on the bear........
We stalked a 9'3" BROWNIE that was totally interested in eating a Sitka Deer it had killed......at 40 yards it stood up (very angry) and I instantly took a shot for the Right-Shoulder............the bear went down instantly------but was right back up and charged. I fired twice more (one hit the spine, the other into the chest cavity-----it fell for good 25 yds away at 5:15pm----by 5 thirty we were in total darkness). We had started the day glassing at about 9am and we got back to camp at 11:P.M. !!!Finished taking pics & congrats about 6pm ....then started to skin the bear and when finished we had to "cache" it safely for the night up a tree so another bear or some animal wouldn't get to it. Also had to roll the skinned body at least 50 yards down the mountain side so as to keep animals interested in it and not the hide and head. The last hour and a half were spent slipping, sliding and falling down, the 1380 feet back down to sea level where the boat was to get us back to camp across the Bay.A few days later the F&G dept said it was a 9 yr old Boar & weighed about 900 pounds.....very fat from gourging on salmon and deer these last three months prior to hibernation in a few days.
More exciting that any deer, elk, Blk Bear, Moose, Caribou or wolf I've taken......Oh to be 30 years younger
I waited 4 years for my name to come to the top of the "Cancelled-Hunt List" that Bailey maintained......but it sure was worth it to get a Brown Bear hunt for Half Price. The Guy that couldn't keep his commitment had to forefit his 50% deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 03:12 AM

2,925 posts, read 2,805,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
In approx 2 months I'll be 83 yr old & have killed a Kodiak (Grizzly) in the mountains on the east side of Kashouyak Bay on Kodaik Is. when I was 60 yr old, in a mid November snow storm on a very steep, heavily brushed & treed mountain side at 1380 feet elevation after a 4 four hour stalk ---from Sea Level!!!
The Video "linked" to Post #75 in this Thread is about a Handgun Hunt (for an Interior Grizzly) in the area of the Talkeetna Mts in Interior Ak on Stephan Lake. Owner & Master Guide Jim Bailey of Stephan Lake Lodge owns the "206" Float Plane shown. He also owns a very primative Bear Camp for Kodiaks......this is what I chose consisting of: (an all steel (bear proof) cooking, storage and eating shack, a separate rustic sleeping cabin for the hunter, & another sleeping cabin for Jim Bailey, his cook, an ass't Guide and a packer).
Bailey was my guide on my hunt. (He has approx 40 yrs experience hunting Grizzly & Brown Bears.) I chose the hunt for a Kodiak Bear vs an Interior Grizzly---Interior Griz are usually about 30 % smaller.
Having hunted big game for over 50 yrs I feel there are IMHO several factors that determine what type of firearm and caliber and bullet are the logical and safe and effective combination for a Grizzly or Kodiak Brown Bear (grizzly).

(NOTE:....Bailey was very pleased that I was using a Modified Mauser Controlled Feed Bolt Action in .375 H&H Mag handloaded with Nosler Partition 300gr bullets and a Leupold 1 1/2 to 6 scope (iron sights also on the rifle.) His rifle for back-up was also a .375 H&H. (NOTE: Controlled Feed means that you can have the rifle upside down, work the bolt to chamber a round and NOT have the cartridge fall out of the action.)

His requirements included for a Kodiak Bear hunt: A Seasoned hunter of Big Game; very familiar with using the chosen gun; a minimum of .338 caliber and MOST IMPORTANT, bullet construction that would allow sufficient penetration to 'Break-a-shoulder', or a "spine-shot" on the bear........
We stalked a 9'3" BROWNIE that was totally interested in eating a Sitka Deer it had killed......at 40 yards it stood up (very angry) and I instantly took a shot for the Right-Shoulder............the bear went down instantly------but was right back up and charged. I fired twice more (one hit the spine, the other into the chest cavity-----it fell for good 25 yds away at 5:15pm----by 5 thirty we were in total darkness). We had started the day glassing at about 9am and we got back to camp at 11:P.M. !!!Finished taking pics & congrats about 6pm ....then started to skin the bear and when finished we had to "cache" it safely for the night up a tree so another bear or some animal wouldn't get to it. Also had to roll the skinned body at least 50 yards down the mountain side so as to keep animals interested in it and not the hide and head. The last hour and a half were spent slipping, sliding and falling down, the 1380 feet back down to sea level where the boat was to get us back to camp across the Bay.A few days later the F&G dept said it was a 9 yr old Boar & weighed about 900 pounds.....very fat from gourging on salmon and deer these last three months prior to hibernation in a few days.
More exciting that any deer, elk, Blk Bear, Moose, Caribou or wolf I've taken......Oh to be 30 years younger
I waited 4 years for my name to come to the top of the "Cancelled-Hunt List" that Bailey maintained......but it sure was worth it to get a Brown Bear hunt for Half Price. The Guy that couldn't keep his commitment had to forefit his 50% deposit.
Brother, you are a fortunate man! Both for the life experience (the clarity of mind at 83 you now possess...I wish my patients had that clarity of mind, typically, at 83!), and for the fact that you were 15 minutes from potentially dealing with an enraged 900# wounded animal with damning cunning in the dark in ITS home.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:14 AM

2,925 posts, read 2,805,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I would take the shotgun over the rifle, and like mentioned above, a semi auto.

Personally, a few years back I bought a .500 S&W mag and loaded it up with 440 grain bullets. I also bought a lanyard to carry it around my neck. Its quicker than a holstered weapon and easier than carrying it in your hand, it gets heavy when carrying it. Besides, if the first round doesn't completely stop him, I don't want the gun knocked out of my hand.
A Benelli M1 loaded with Brenneke Black Magic 3" slugs is good bear medicine for defensive use!

Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 AM

11,822 posts, read 15,437,707 times
Quote:

Awesome Griz! Thanks for placing this back into proper perspective. It's nice to hear a real story from a man who has been there and done that.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:06 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Awesome Griz! Thanks for placing this back into proper perspective. It's nice to hear a real story from a man who has been there and done that.
.....Hey Threerun............
I appreciate your comments, and I sincerely hope (it is understood) that some of my Detailed posts related to my hunting experiences are not written to impress anyone, but rather to pass on information and certain aspects of hunting certain animals and specific info for certain areas (like Kodiak) that I acquired over a period of many years.
I believe you are aware that for the better part of almost 40 years, I had to travel to various parts of Alaska as part of my job----which was to work with the "Field and Home-Office engineers and Project Managers" that were involved with large-scale mining projects for: Gold, Silver, Lead, Zinc & Coal.........With out this type of job, I would never have been able to acquire the contacts, friendships and first-hand information that ultimately resulted in my (9) hunting and fishing trips spread over a period of time from 1979 to 2000.

After retirement in Dec 1993, I took an additional (3) (vacation-type) trips to Alaska with my late wife which included one of 3 months (going into the area where the N/W Yukon touches the Northwest Territories at the end of the Canol Road), and one of 5 1/2 weeks (via different Ferrys) through the entire length of "SOUTH-EAST-ALASKA" from Prince Rupert, B.C. to Skagway, AK (including camping along the Cassiar Hwy and outside of Ketchikan and on Wrangell Island; and outside of the towns of: Petersburg, Juneau, Sitka & Haines.
Being the avid hunter and outdoorsman you are, if you have any aspirations of going to Alaska to partake of what it has to offer..........I would do it "sooner rather than later", if at all possible.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:51 PM

141 posts, read 121,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
Some use bows and even spears........

.308 Winchester 7.62x51mm is plenty with the right man behind the trigger.
Quote:
A bear has a pretty big head.....it's a large target. A direct hit that enters the brain on that large skull would kill the animal almost instantly. If it didn't just keep firing until it goes down.
Quote:
U.S. Marines use their imagination.

Turnagain Arm trail closed after hiker kills charging bear | Alaska Dispatch News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmILOL55xP0

Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 PM

34,949 posts, read 31,969,818 times
Quote:
For hunting yes, self defense or protection you use what you brought. I saw a documentary of a cougar stalking a mountain biker from behind for miles. The biker kept turning around when he heard it's claws clicking on the road but the cougar was evasive and duct behind cover. The guy knew someone or something was behind him, though couldn't see what it was. He finally caught up with him and attacked from behind knocking him off his bike before it proceeded to maul him. A good old boy driving his pickup up the same road saw the incident and bailed out with his 5 cell D MAGLITE flashlight in hand. He beat that cougar to one inch of his life with it and made him let go of the man saving his life.

Use what ya got!

The absolute last thing I would want to do is deal with a Mt Lion up close. It must have been either really young, or really old or something was wacked. a Lion can kill you so fast you didn't see it coming. Regardless, without someone to "save" him that dude would have been food.

Anyway, a Lion is thin skinned and not that hard to kill. A bear? Different critter.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Thank you Sir for sharing. I wish I was born 40 years earlier.

I'll have to look into the controlled feed thing. Is it a bolt lockup like an AR?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:39 PM

141 posts, read 121,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The absolute last thing I would want to do is deal with a Mt Lion up close. It must have been either really young, or really old or something was wacked. a Lion can kill you so fast you didn't see it coming. Regardless, without someone to "save" him that dude would have been food.

Anyway, a Lion is thin skinned and not that hard to kill. A bear? Different critter.
Well, just as I was saying all along.....an AK can kill a bear in Alaska. Here is at least one documented case of it. ^

An AK-74 5.45x39mm no less as well.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Well, just as I was saying all along.....an AK can kill a bear in Alaska. Here is at least one documented case of it. ^

An AK-74 5.45x39mm no less as well.
My Cuz was a bush pilot in Alaska. He carried an AK but it was a FULLY AUTO AK. Single shot is less potent than a .30-30. Post a poll who would go bear hunting with a .30-30 today. Not back when that was one of the hottest rounds available. To be honest I'd take my model 94 over my AK based on the fact the semi might jam. That and leverevolution ammo makes it a bit hotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting