U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:12 PM

16,392 posts, read 13,052,554 times

Advertisements

The cop did you one hell of a favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,561,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I believe the below quoted part of the op's post shows me all I need to know. According to the op's own words, the officer asked "is there was something you want to tell me" thus he did not pull him out of the car and ram him up against the car to search him, now if he wanted to be a dick then something like that would have been what he might have done, he could have gotten him out of the car, cuffed him and removed his firearm and checked the serial number to see if it was stolen and asked for a receipt proving the firearm was purchased legally, none of which is expressed in the law but officer safety is number one and then comes things an officer can do if he believes there is a chance the person may be breaking the law and then all he has to do is articulate it correctly in his contact or arrest report. Why challenge an officers when all a person has to do is reply with respect.

What goes around comes around, give a police officer attitude and it could end up badly, be nice and you may not even get a ticket.

Massad Ayoob: Tips When Stopped By Police and Carrying a Firearm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVReVYMLH7E

Concealed Carry Protocal on a Traffic Stop, "Street Cop, Straight Talk"
http://youtu.be/O1MF94CCBCQ
Great video. We need to see it from the officer's POV.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:23 PM

51,641 posts, read 41,596,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I'm confused. What favor did he do for the guy?

Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 PM

9,535 posts, read 10,841,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why not just mention it when he first got up to you? He had no idea who you were or what you were about. For all he knew, you were a thug carrying a gun. Yes--he was apparently misinformed of the law...but he probably wants to get home to his family at the end of his shift, and with all the crap going on lately with cops getting shot, the last thing he wants to do is be a statistic...so he's probably a bit on edge.
So you're saying that anyone with a gun should be treated as a criminal suspect? I say the person with a gun is merely exercising the right of a free citizen. I glad that I live in a state that requires neither notification nor any kind of permit or licence for open carry, concealed carry, or vehicle carry. Whether I'm carrying is no one else's business. If that frightens the cop he should get another job.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:27 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,422,604 times
How a traffic stop can end badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pns3_Peke30

Caution do not watch if you are offended by profanity.

A person can beat the arrest in court and might even win a lawsuit when an officers actions turn out to be wrong but what good will that do them if they should end up dead or they have to spend a lot of money for lawyers to get out of the jam.

So the guy beat the rap but not the costs. Will he win his lawsuit, I do not know but so far it looks like he has spent years and money just to get the charges dropped etc.

Florida Carry sues police over gun owner's arrest
Quote:
Smith was arrested and charged with open carry of a firearm, but the charge was later dropped.

A complaint was filed with the Citrus County Sheriff's Department against Cox. However, due to a technicality, the complaint was dismissed and no disciplinary action against the deputy was taken.
Now if you want to say a cop was a dick then the one in the above video I would agree with but at the same time the driver got out of the vehicle, put his hand near his gun to get his wallet and showed his holster while never telling the officer he was armed. My guess is he will spend plenty of money trying to win a lawsuit but probably not win one, time will tell.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 PM

3,819 posts, read 8,885,541 times
the way i see it, if one has a permit then they have at least (likely) gone thru some form of background checks. I just got my WI permit, and it states we are to display permit & DL upon request of an officer if we are carrying. I dont think it's bad form to do so even if not carrying; tells the officer that in most instances you are not a felon which may take a little edge off the discussion. And it keeps the practice simple so it's not forgotten down the road where it could become an issue.
We all know there can be good cops and bad ones, no different then the average citizens who are pulled over. And there are those who are against giving up any info regardless of the situation. But why put any potential hurdles out there.

Just my .02 of course

Old 01-30-2015, 01:43 PM

3,819 posts, read 8,885,541 times
Quote:
How a traffic stop can end badly.

Now if you want to say a cop was a dick then the one in the above video I would agree with but at the same time the driver got out of the vehicle, put his hand near his gun to get his wallet and showed his holster while never telling the officer he was armed. My guess is he will spend plenty of money trying to win a lawsuit but probably not win one, time will tell.

By no means do i know everything, just got my permit (do not yet carry) and frankly it has been decades since i've even been pulled over (knocking on wood here lol); but i've always been told to stay in a car unless asked to exit it. And to keep hands in view on the wheel and be ready to answer questions as directed. This person exits his vehicle immediately and is moving back and forth where grabbing that gun would have been easy for him to do.
Well especially the way it has been going these days with both the public and officers, anyone stops me regardless of a firearm in the car or not, it's "yes sir/no sir" and I'll stay nice and still until they tell me otherwise. They aren't the only ones who want to get home safe and sound.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:51 PM

1,623 posts, read 823,267 times
Quote:
I will give you another take, had you been respectful and told him up front that you had a cw and were carrying, and said you were telling him out of respect for him and officer safety, then you may not have even gotten a ticket. All too often people worry about what the law is and instead should think about how dangerous that officers job might be with all those crazy people out there chanting to kill cops. The officer has no way of knowing if anyone they stop will be one of those crazy people bent on killing a cop. Be respectful and often it will come back to you tenfold.

I have told many of my friends the same as above and over the years most were let off with just a warning instead of a ticket. Instead of being disrespectful to others including police officers, it might be a better world if we all tried to give others the benefit of the doubt and try to see things from their POV.
Similar experience, a friend of mine many years ago, was pulled over for speeding, in this case speeding was a understatement (above 120 ), when the officer pulled him over, my friend put his hands outside the window, when the officer approached and asked what he was doing, my friend said I have a firearm on me, and I DO NOT WANT any trouble, the officer told him to keep his hands where the office could see them. Long story short, my friend did get the ticket, but instead of getting for reckless driving, and losing his license, he only got a speeding ticket, with the option to pay it instead of going to court; In a allot of ways a little respect goes a long way.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:22 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,664,057 times
Only a fool does not say he has A CWW to avoid problems. Also make sure they see your hands clearly. Bad things can happen.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:34 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,441,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
What was that? He wrote the guy a ticket for illegal U-turn, bull****ted him about the law, and then told him he was lucky not to get shot. I'm missing where that constitutes some sort of favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or