U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2015, 03:10 PM
 
8,130 posts, read 5,702,064 times
Reputation: 11522

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
The cop did you one hell of a favor.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,776 posts, read 14,146,680 times
Reputation: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsfloto View Post
Got pulled over in Sarasota a few days ago. Did a U turn where I knew better but needed to save some time and it did not work out that way. My screw up, that part is on me. When I got pulled over he asked for the usual things, when I pulled out my DL, he saw my CCW under it and asked "is there something you want to tell me?" I wanted to say sure, I am getting a bit hungry and was thinking of getting a subway and a coke, I also was thinking of putting some money into AAPL for the long run ect but that is fun to talk about not to do. I said instead are you referring to my CCW? to which he said yes. I asked that was it the law to have to disclose in Fla? I was sure I read that it was not. I lived in several states and one was a disclosure and the others were not and I was sure that Fla was not. He said you live here and don't know the law? I said that I thought I did but he was making be question if something maybe had changed. He said he was a good dep. and that I need to learn to disclose if I did not want to get shot. OK, maybe I remembered wrong, or some law had changed and I did not know it. So I took my spanking and went home to read the "law" as I was instructed and guess what, the dougnut eating goof was lying. I do not have to disclose in Fla. I called his superior and told them I am not going to complain but he did not know what the law was and that someone telling me I may get shot for not telling a cop I had a CCW when I don't have to is total BS. Ticket my fault, cop telling me BS and getting all up in my face about not telling him when I don't have to his fault.
Yes it's always a good idea to be a smart ass with the police especially when you made a stupid driving move and he has a ticket book in his back pocket.

It doesn't matter what the law is regarding showing your permit. Most of us who have nothing to hide will gladley show the permit right off the bat.

It might have even got you out of that ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 35,428,561 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Yes it's always a good idea to be a smart ass with the police especially when you made a stupid driving move and he has a ticket book in his back pocket.

It doesn't matter what the law is regarding showing your permit. Most of us who have nothing to hide will gladley show the permit right off the bat.

It might have even got you out of that ticket.
Nothing to hide? The person didn't yell, "I have an accelerator and wasn't speeding!". " I have a steering wheel and wasn't swerving into oncoming traffic.". "I have a daughter and haven't molested her."

What else should a person reveal when not required to. The law was written for a reason. The op was only following written law, not trying to hide anything for being guilty of anything.

The cop was an idiot and I am glad the op called his superiors. If we break an unsubstantiated law, We have to miss a day of work, and stand in humiliation in a court room only to have a judge rap his gavel and say, there is no such requirement. Then we are dismissed like the minions that we are. No, I'm sorry, or I apologize, no reimbursement for wages lost, nothing. The cop, on the other hand, drew full pay. He is not chastised, nor even chewed out. He goes on about his day. The bastard needs to learn the law, plain and simple.

Thankfully I live in a state that does not require disclosure, nor does it demand it by rogue cops.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-30-2015 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 05:44 AM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,562,587 times
Reputation: 949
I don't see where the OP was a smartass .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 05:50 AM
 
19,237 posts, read 11,145,594 times
Reputation: 8386
I know Sarasota and some cops are off the chain some are total disasters- they need to tighten up in that county re: protocol etc. I'd get the media involved -send same to the news people, only way anything will change is to expose it. If the PD asked you-- are there any weapons in the car, I think a truthful answer is warranted- but sounds as if the question never arose,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 06:52 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,776 posts, read 14,146,680 times
Reputation: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Nothing to hide? The person didn't yell, "I have an accelerator and wasn't speeding!". " I have a steering wheel and wasn't swerving into oncoming traffic.". "I have a daughter and haven't molested her."

What else should a person reveal when not required to. The law was written for a reason. The op was only following written law, not trying to hide anything for being guilty of anything.

The cop was an idiot and I am glad the op called his superiors. If we break an unsubstantiated law, We have to miss a day of work, and stand in humiliation in a court room only to have a judge rap his gavel and say, there is no such requirement. Then we are dismissed like the minions that we are. No, I'm sorry, or I apologize, no reimbursement for wages lost, nothing. The cop, on the other hand, drew full pay. He is not chastised, nor even chewed out. He goes on about his day. The bastard needs to learn the law, plain and simple.

Thankfully I live in a state that does not require disclosure, nor does it demand it by rogue cops.
You need to take a course in common sense. When the cop pulls you over he is not looking to shoot you but if he sees a gun on your seat he doesn't know if you just robbed the First National Bank of Wyoming or you are a Law abiding citizen. Best to just show your respect or permit and get that out of the way. It's only common sense.

Here is a refresher in how to deal with the police. Works for whites as well as blacks.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQDvYOt_iA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 07:38 AM
 
Location: NWA/SWMO
2,748 posts, read 2,614,148 times
Reputation: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsfloto View Post
Got pulled over in Sarasota a few days ago. Did a U turn where I knew better but needed to save some time and it did not work out that way. My screw up, that part is on me. When I got pulled over he asked for the usual things, when I pulled out my DL, he saw my CCW under it and asked "is there something you want to tell me?" I wanted to say sure, I am getting a bit hungry and was thinking of getting a subway and a coke, I also was thinking of putting some money into AAPL for the long run ect but that is fun to talk about not to do. I said instead are you referring to my CCW? to which he said yes. I asked that was it the law to have to disclose in Fla? I was sure I read that it was not. I lived in several states and one was a disclosure and the others were not and I was sure that Fla was not. He said you live here and don't know the law? I said that I thought I did but he was making be question if something maybe had changed. He said he was a good dep. and that I need to learn to disclose if I did not want to get shot. OK, maybe I remembered wrong, or some law had changed and I did not know it. So I took my spanking and went home to read the "law" as I was instructed and guess what, the dougnut eating goof was lying. I do not have to disclose in Fla. I called his superior and told them I am not going to complain but he did not know what the law was and that someone telling me I may get shot for not telling a cop I had a CCW when I don't have to is total BS. Ticket my fault, cop telling me BS and getting all up in my face about not telling him when I don't have to his fault.
What if he got nervous when you moved in a way that somehow exposed your pistol, and he shot and killed you?

He would totally be in the wrong. Would that make you feel vindicated, or just dead anyway?

Right or wrong, legal or not, you always tell an officer if there is a weapon on your person or in the vehicle in a place where they would discover it. LE does a dangerous job. Look at the officers assassinated in NY here recently. They have NO CLUE what mood you're in, what you "think of killing cops", etc.

I do anything and everything I can to let an officer know if I am traveling armed. After greeting them, those are the first words out of my mouth: "Officer, for your safety and mine, I want to let you know that I am traveling with my *insert weapon* today, and it's located *insert carry method/location*."

Then comply with any and all reasonable instruction, which may include slowly removing the weapon, letting the officer remove it, etc. Do what you are told.

Legal? Not legal? Constitutional?

You won't care if you're dead.

This is not to say "let everyone with a badge trample your rights", what it is to say, is don't fight the fight for the sake of losing the war...

Often times I travel with a suppressed M4 in the passenger seat of my Jeep. Been stopped before with it in there. Never had a problem. It's all in how you present yourself, and how you communicate with the officer BEFORE he/she forms their own conclusions. Help them form the right one's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,776 posts, read 14,146,680 times
Reputation: 11850
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
What if he got nervous when you moved in a way that somehow exposed your pistol, and he shot and killed you?

He would totally be in the wrong. Would that make you feel vindicated, or just dead anyway?

Right or wrong, legal or not, you always tell an officer if there is a weapon on your person or in the vehicle in a place where they would discover it. LE does a dangerous job. Look at the officers assassinated in NY here recently. They have NO CLUE what mood you're in, what you "think of killing cops", etc.

I do anything and everything I can to let an officer know if I am traveling armed. After greeting them, those are the first words out of my mouth: "Officer, for your safety and mine, I want to let you know that I am traveling with my *insert weapon* today, and it's located *insert carry method/location*."

Then comply with any and all reasonable instruction, which may include slowly removing the weapon, letting the officer remove it, etc. Do what you are told.

Legal? Not legal? Constitutional?

You won't care if you're dead.

This is not to say "let everyone with a badge trample your rights", what it is to say, is don't fight the fight for the sake of losing the war...

Often times I travel with a suppressed M4 in the passenger seat of my Jeep. Been stopped before with it in there. Never had a problem. It's all in how you present yourself, and how you communicate with the officer BEFORE he/she forms their own conclusions. Help them form the right one's!


Dropping the "tude" can also possibly get you out of the ticket or at least a 2nd ticket. The police do not like wise guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 08:38 AM
 
141 posts, read 114,537 times
Reputation: 70
If you live in a State that does not require you to disclose you have a weapon or firearm without first being directly asked by the Officer the best advice is to remain "neutral" on the subject. If it's in a place where he/she may see or find it, tell them. If it's covered up and they won't find it with anything less than a pat down or vehicle search you are probably actually better off keeping it to yourself. For every smart and safe LEO there are at least two more dumb and naive ones. Just watch Cops a few episodes and watch how mostly East and West coast big city Cops can't even figure out how to clear the action or unload unfamiliar weapons without having a brainstorm or group powwow. It's a damn NAA .22 MAG single action revolver for Christs sake guys......pull the effing cylinder pivot and remove the cylinder.

My own local Sheriffs Department firearms and SWAT instructor recommends keeping EVERYONE'S hands off a LOADED weapon during a stop. Anytime you handle a LOADED weapon both the user/owner and the LEO you are taking a risk/chance of a NG (negligent discharge). If it stays put and in the holster that risk almost always disappears completely.

If they don't ask and won't see it, I wouldn't tell them jack****!! You aren't breaking any laws and he/she might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer and be a "gun guy/girl". Both parties are actually SAFER this way.

For the record most know me and who I am around here. I don't have to say anything.....they already know I have at least one/two firearms and several tactical blades on me at all times due to my background. The conversation changes when they see who it is often times forgetting what the reason was entirely why they stopped me and turns into gun/knife talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,238,055 times
Reputation: 2852
The op showed his permit, either by accident or on purpose, either way the question the officer then asked was reasonable, "is there something you want to tell me?" now since we were not there, we do not know if he asked nicely or with an attitude but since the op showed his ccw, then at that point for officer safety the next question was reasonable and not being a dick, as some of you seem to feel. Had the op never showed his ccw, then I agree there would be no reason to tell the officer you have a firearm but HE DID, so to answer the officers question would be reasonable. As long as the officer never asks a person to get out of the car then there would be no reason to tell him you have a permit and a firearm as long as you keep your hands visible and already have your license in your hands when he comes to your window but computer records are being updated all the time and if they are not already, then they will eventually show that a person has a permit, so being polite and respectful sure cannot hurt a person. Not all permit holders are law abiding citizens, some get a permit for 5 years and during that time commit a crime but still have the card.

If we all want to go home at the end of the day, then being polite goes a long way. An officer when respected usually returns respect, when being disrespected can also go that route and it may not end well for the permit holder, should the officer then wish to push the envelope. Rookies often look to make arrests, you can all beat the charge but you cannot beat the ride and the cost, and then the time and trouble to get your gun back.

I knew a permit holder in Florida who kept his gun under the seat, which I believe to be legal as long as the gun is concealed and the person has a permit, a rookie officer pulled him over and he gave the officer an attitude, so he ended up pulled out of the car and arrested and the rookie wrote that the gun was visible, maybe it was and maybe it wasn't, so that legal permit holder ended up spending tons of money on lawyers and lost his case, thus lost his permit, lost his gun and then had a record on top of that, so who won in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top