U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM

141 posts, read 114,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
The op showed his permit, either by accident or on purpose, either way the question the officer then asked was reasonable, "is there something you want to tell me?" now since we were not there, we do not know if he asked nicely or with an attitude but since the op showed his ccw, then at that point for officer safety the next question was reasonable and not being a dick, as some of you seem to feel. Had the op never showed his ccw, then I agree there would be no reason to tell the officer you have a firearm but HE DID, so to answer the officers question would be reasonable. As long as the officer never asks a person to get out of the car then there would be no reason to tell him you have a permit and a firearm as long as you keep your hands visible and already have your license in your hands when he comes to your window but computer records are being updated all the time and if they are not already, then they will eventually show that a person has a permit, so being polite and respectful sure cannot hurt a person. Not all permit holders are law abiding citizens, some get a permit for 5 years and during that time commit a crime but still have the card.

If we all want to go home at the end of the day, then being polite goes a long way. An officer when respected usually returns respect, when being disrespected can also go that route and it may not end well for the permit holder, should the officer then wish to push the envelope. Rookies often look to make arrests, you can all beat the charge but you cannot beat the ride and the cost, and then the time and trouble to get your gun back.

I knew a permit holder in Florida who kept his gun under the seat, which I believe to be legal as long as the gun is concealed and the person has a permit, a rookie officer pulled him over and he gave the officer an attitude, so he ended up pulled out of the car and arrested and the rookie wrote that the gun was visible, maybe it was and maybe it wasn't, so that legal permit holder ended up spending tons of money on lawyers and lost his case, thus lost his permit, lost his gun and then had a record on top of that, so who won in the end.
Not the Officer who filed a false report and lied under oath, that's for darn sure. At least in my State your CCW is good for anything. You can have it strapped around your neck with 550 Paracord while driving and it doesn't matter. It's a license to be in possession of it and have it loaded on your person or in a vehicle.

In the Ops case, he already done showed his license by mistake. Answer any further questions the Officer has from then on out. He already knows you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 12:36 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,565,371 times
The Deputy was a dick . His behavior after the Permit was shown proves it . Lecturing the OP and telling him he was lucky he didn't get shot ? Unprofessional .

Old 01-31-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
The Deputy was a dick . His behavior after the Permit was shown proves it . Lecturing the OP and telling him he was lucky he didn't get shot ? Unprofessional .
That's why if they don't ask and you are sure they won't discover or find it in States it's legal to do so, just keep quiet about the whole thing. Many Leos aren't exactly thrilled with the idea you are carrying a weapon in the first place. I've been converting and convincing my elderly Dad of that too the last few years. We've been hassled out of the area before due to his big mouth. Didn't matter that I was a former U.S. Marine and him former U.S. Army as well as our PDs boss for 16 years. That guy was a dick after Dad told him who we were and were armed.

Keep it to yourself next time Dad.....it's not 1967 anymore, ya know.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:05 PM

No wonder he was POed and had such an attitude towards Veterans.....hahahaha!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G46q2UoLuaM

Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,987,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
The deputy may have been having a bad day. Even cops sometimes have bad days. In this current atmosphere of people assassinating cops...one could understand how he might have been a bit nervous.

If the OP had just mentioned nicely from the beginning that he was carrying and handed over his CCW permit with his ID, there probably would have been no issue...but he had to take a stand.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The deputy may have been having a bad day. Even cops sometimes have bad days. In this current atmosphere of people assassinating cops...one could understand how he might have been a bit nervous.

If the OP had just mentioned nicely from the beginning that he was carrying and handed over his CCW permit with his ID, there probably would have been no issue...but he had to take a stand.
I can vouch for the "bad days" as they really get personal and insulted when they are used to beating up on old ladies and kids. Then all of a sudden a couple of guys come along that make him look bad and like a amateur he is with his duty weapon he never fires except qualification and gets reprimanded when he takes his Glock (of all things) apart and loses a part and or can't get it back together without the armorers help.

It's nothing personal dude......get over it and your ego.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:18 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,987,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
I can vouch for the "bad days" as they really get personal and insulted when they are used to beating up on old ladies and kids.
Now you're accusing a cop of beating up old ladies and kids. Classy.
Quote:

Then all of a sudden a couple of guys come along that make him look bad and like a amateur he is with his duty weapon he never fires except qualification and gets reprimanded when he takes his Glock (of all things) apart and loses a part and or can't get it back together without the armorers help.
Or maybe he doesn't really know the OP and for all he knows the OP is a thug with a gun and an attitude. Maybe the OP is a heck of a nice guy. Maybe he isn't. The cop doesn't have a clue who or what he is about. All he knows is that if he's not careful and the OP turns out to be a thug...he might be dead.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:29 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,890,372 times
What is most interesting to me is that the way it is written by the OP, the deputy essentially implied that he could have shot the OP. But for what? The OP didn't actually produce a gun, and from the description, regardless of actually seeing a gun, the cop said he could have just popped the OP without verifying that there was a gun anywhere in the car. The presumption here (the way it's written) appears to be that the deputy considered the permit a sufficient threat to use deadly force. That should make anyone nervous.

Strictly in my opinion, out of sight means out of mind. Not required to inform, and not letting a permit peek out may have resulted in no questions. Maybe the OP could keep the permit behind credit cards or something in the wallet. The entire thing seems as if it was triggered by some cop who isn't playing with a full deck, seeing something that could mean that a firearm could be present. While it's impossible to know whether the cop would have asked if the OP had not let the permit show, it seems as if the event that initiated the whole discussion--right or wrong--was the revelation of a permit when getting the license out.

Personally, I have never kept my permit visible in my wallet (not that I need it in my home state anyway). It's the kind of thing that scares stupid people. There is nothing good to keeping it right out front. Who needs some busybody hausfrau to cause problems when she stares at your wallet when checking out at the supermarket, sees a permit, and goes off the deep end? There are so many unstable people out there, it's just not worth it to take any chance, no matter how small. Again, just my opinion.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM

13,135 posts, read 17,679,712 times
Plain and simple some cops are bullys . Most of them are pretty nice for the most part but there are those few that make them all look bad . Some seem to think that if they wear a badge they have extra rights . Just give me the ticket and let me move on ...

Old 01-31-2015, 04:46 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,451,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You need to take a course in common sense. When the cop pulls you over he is not looking to shoot you but if he sees a gun on your seat he doesn't know if you just robbed the First National Bank of Wyoming or you are a Law abiding citizen. Best to just show your respect or permit and get that out of the way. It's only common sense.

Here is a refresher in how to deal with the police. Works for whites as well as blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igQDvYOt_iA
Common sense says, "Never reveal anything.". A good lawyer will tell you the same thing. The weapon was not spotted. The police never asked. He saw a permit and then went off the deep end. Common sense says that you shut your mouth and only answer respectfully to what is asked, but keeping the 5th in mind, you only answer what is asked and you don't volunteer anything. The police officer was out of line. Simple fact.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or