U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 AM
 
50 posts, read 42,253 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

Got pulled over in Sarasota a few days ago. Did a U turn where I knew better but needed to save some time and it did not work out that way. My screw up, that part is on me. When I got pulled over he asked for the usual things, when I pulled out my DL, he saw my CCW under it and asked "is there something you want to tell me?" I wanted to say sure, I am getting a bit hungry and was thinking of getting a subway and a coke, I also was thinking of putting some money into AAPL for the long run ect but that is fun to talk about not to do. I said instead are you referring to my CCW? to which he said yes. I asked that was it the law to have to disclose in Fla? I was sure I read that it was not. I lived in several states and one was a disclosure and the others were not and I was sure that Fla was not. He said you live here and don't know the law? I said that I thought I did but he was making be question if something maybe had changed. He said he was a good dep. and that I need to learn to disclose if I did not want to get shot. OK, maybe I remembered wrong, or some law had changed and I did not know it. So I took my spanking and went home to read the "law" as I was instructed and guess what, the dougnut eating goof was lying. I do not have to disclose in Fla. I called his superior and told them I am not going to complain but he did not know what the law was and that someone telling me I may get shot for not telling a cop I had a CCW when I don't have to is total BS. Ticket my fault, cop telling me BS and getting all up in my face about not telling him when I don't have to his fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
Reputation: 13239
I'm glad you called the officer's superiors. It sounds like 1) he didn't know the law or 2) he was abusing his position of public trust and authority. Considering his office, both are pretty serious and need to be addressed.

Despite my trust in law enforcement professionals being greatly shaken in recent years, I remain very strongly supportive of them. But when they are wrong they are wrong and it needs to be remediated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 08:59 AM
 
8,124 posts, read 5,694,889 times
Reputation: 11519
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I'm glad you called the officer's superiors. It sounds like 1) he didn't know the law or 2) he was abusing his position of public trust and authority. Considering his office, both are pretty serious and need to be addressed.

Despite my trust in law enforcement professionals being greatly shaken in recent years, I remain very strongly supportive of them. But when they are wrong they are wrong and it needs to be remediated.
I think it was #2 for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Reputation: 4236
For starters, based on what you said I would guess #1. I'm constantly astonished at the poor understanding many street cops have about the laws they are being paid to enforce, especially laws about citizens with firearms. Unless you are in a "must notify" state, you have no legal requirement to tell him about your firearm.

All that aside... this recently came up in another thread. From the cop's point of view, he has no idea whether you are a good guy or a bad guy. All he knows about you is that you just broke a law (yours was an illegal U-turn). Not a major law, but a law non-the-less.

If the only interaction is you give him your license+registration then he gives you back a ticket, he has no need to know about your firearm. But for the sake of what-if's, what if when he runs your tag he miss-types a letter and it comes back that you're in a stolen vehicle. Or he sees something (open view) that he incorrectly thinks is drugs or paraphernalia. We're still working off the assumption that you really are innocent (good guy with a gun, remember?), but how is he supposed to know that? For whatever reason, he orders you out of the car and he sees your weapon. Now he knows you have broken a minor law (U-turn), he thinks you have broken a major law (stolen vehicle, drugs, whatever), and he is taken by complete surprise when he sees you have a gun.

Put yourself in his shoes... what would you do in that situation?

I always notify as a courtesy. Most cops are good guys. He's an ally, not an enemy. Tell him up front that you're on his side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,234,893 times
Reputation: 2852
I will give you another take, had you been respectful and told him up front that you had a cw and were carrying, and said you were telling him out of respect for him and officer safety, then you may not have even gotten a ticket. All too often people worry about what the law is and instead should think about how dangerous that officers job might be with all those crazy people out there chanting to kill cops. The officer has no way of knowing if anyone they stop will be one of those crazy people bent on killing a cop. Be respectful and often it will come back to you tenfold.

I have told many of my friends the same as above and over the years most were let off with just a warning instead of a ticket. Instead of being disrespectful to others including police officers, it might be a better world if we all tried to give others the benefit of the doubt and try to see things from their POV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:48 AM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 3,560,471 times
Reputation: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
it might be a better world if we all tried to give others the benefit of the doubt and try to see things from their POV.
That advice works both ways . The Deputy was a dick . A poorly trained one .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
2,773 posts, read 3,676,401 times
Reputation: 4236
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
That advice works both ways . The Deputy was a dick . A poorly trained one .
For what it's worth, the only perspective he have on this story is from the OP. It's possible the OP was the epitome of politeness and oozed respect, and all the Dickiness was outside the car. Or it's possible the OP started with the attitude because he was already late and the cop just reflected what he received.

The fact that he owned up to be guilty of the U-turn implies the former, but then I wasn't there so I try to avoid assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Rathdrum, ID
4,114 posts, read 3,860,715 times
Reputation: 7813
OP, might be a good idea to keep a copy of the state law in your glove box. From the state govt web site if possible. But I agree with Mr. Lee, tell the LEO up front. They have a dangerous, high-stress job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 12:37 PM
 
19,952 posts, read 12,963,461 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsfloto View Post
Got pulled over in Sarasota a few days ago. Did a U turn where I knew better but needed to save some time and it did not work out that way. My screw up, that part is on me. When I got pulled over he asked for the usual things, when I pulled out my DL, he saw my CCW under it and asked "is there something you want to tell me?" I wanted to say sure, I am getting a bit hungry and was thinking of getting a subway and a coke, I also was thinking of putting some money into AAPL for the long run ect but that is fun to talk about not to do. I said instead are you referring to my CCW? to which he said yes. I asked that was it the law to have to disclose in Fla? I was sure I read that it was not. I lived in several states and one was a disclosure and the others were not and I was sure that Fla was not. He said you live here and don't know the law? I said that I thought I did but he was making be question if something maybe had changed. He said he was a good dep. and that I need to learn to disclose if I did not want to get shot. OK, maybe I remembered wrong, or some law had changed and I did not know it. So I took my spanking and went home to read the "law" as I was instructed and guess what, the dougnut eating goof was lying. I do not have to disclose in Fla. I called his superior and told them I am not going to complain but he did not know what the law was and that someone telling me I may get shot for not telling a cop I had a CCW when I don't have to is total BS. Ticket my fault, cop telling me BS and getting all up in my face about not telling him when I don't have to his fault.
Why not just mention it when he first got up to you? He had no idea who you were or what you were about. For all he knew, you were a thug carrying a gun. Yes--he was apparently misinformed of the law...but he probably wants to get home to his family at the end of his shift, and with all the crap going on lately with cops getting shot, the last thing he wants to do is be a statistic...so he's probably a bit on edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,234,893 times
Reputation: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
That advice works both ways . The Deputy was a dick . A poorly trained one .

I believe the below quoted part of the op's post shows me all I need to know. According to the op's own words, the officer asked "is there was something you want to tell me" thus he did not pull him out of the car and ram him up against the car to search him, now if he wanted to be a dick then something like that would have been what he might have done, he could have gotten him out of the car, cuffed him and removed his firearm and checked the serial number to see if it was stolen and asked for a receipt proving the firearm was purchased legally, none of which is expressed in the law but officer safety is number one and then comes things an officer can do if he believes there is a chance the person may be breaking the law and then all he has to do is articulate it correctly in his contact or arrest report. Why challenge an officers when all a person has to do is reply with respect.

Quote:
When I got pulled over he asked for the usual things, when I pulled out my DL, he saw my CCW under it and asked "is there something you want to tell me?" I wanted to say sure, I am getting a bit hungry and was thinking of getting a subway and a coke, I also was thinking of putting some money into AAPL for the long run ect but that is fun to talk about not to do. I said instead are you referring to my CCW? to which he said yes. I asked that was it the law to have to disclose in Fla?
What goes around comes around, give a police officer attitude and it could end up badly, be nice and you may not even get a ticket.

Massad Ayoob: Tips When Stopped By Police and Carrying a Firearm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVReVYMLH7E

Concealed Carry Protocal on a Traffic Stop, "Street Cop, Straight Talk"
http://youtu.be/O1MF94CCBCQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top