U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

I have a Schuetzen rifle that I am trying to identify. The only marking that I can find anywhere on it is the word "ORIGINAL" located on the top of the octagon barrel. The barrel length is 23.5" from from to the barrel drop. I acquired it about ten years ago and, at that time, was told that it was German made and chambered a .22 LR. I believe it is all original with the exception of the tang on the rear sight as it doesn't have the same finish as the rest of the rifle, which I've read is quite common.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am planning to sell it and want to get a fair price.

thanks,

Bart
Attached Thumbnails
Need help identifying a Schuetzen Rifle-rifle-1.jpg   Need help identifying a Schuetzen Rifle-rifle-5.jpg   Need help identifying a Schuetzen Rifle-rifle-16.jpg   Need help identifying a Schuetzen Rifle-rifle-14.jpg   Need help identifying a Schuetzen Rifle-rifle-15.jpg  

Need help identifying a Schuetzen Rifle-rifle-7.jpg   Need help identifying a Schuetzen Rifle-rifle-8.jpg   Need help identifying a Schuetzen Rifle-rifle-3.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
These Schuetzen rifles were frequently built more or less individually by gunsmiths, hard to put a price on based on photos. You may want to just go to a good local gun shop and consign it rather than try to sell it yourself.

Why not keep it?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:32 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Miss ya Rifleman.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:00 AM

9,184 posts, read 10,125,866 times
Does it have any proof marks? These would be under the forearm on the bottom of the barrel close to the action. The look like strange little symbols and letters. Germany began requiring proofs in 1891. If there are none your gun is older than this. If there are proof marks try to photograph and post them. The rifle is definitely German. Even the name or term Original is typically German. German makers often did not mark guns with their names. There may be some identifying letter or mark under the stock, but I do not recommend removing it.

The Germans made these and other sporting arms in a dizzying array of variations.

You can pursue this further through the German Gun Collectors Association.

http://www.germanguns.com/indexfinal.html

Old 02-19-2015, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,091 times
Default Schweitzer Rifle

Dear Happy in Wyoming:

Thank you for your response. I looked again for a proof mark and I see none. My wife and I were in Cody in the summer of 2010 and, of course, visited the museum. While at the museum we had the pleasure of meeting the curator. I had a WWII German P-38 that had been beautifully engraved sometime before I came in possesion of it. He was very kind and tried to help. Perhaps you know him. Sorry I can't remember his name and lost his card.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 AM

5,933 posts, read 8,496,020 times
As noted, these were typically "one-off" rifles, built to the customer request. Also as noted - look under the forearm - that's where the info you seek is typically found. A GOOD gunsmith in your area can likely decipher the info for you. Just be prepared to pay him for his time and trouble - I see way too many folks get upset when a 'smith won't stop what he's doing to do free research......

Look around for a Schuetzen club in your area, as well - they often has several folks as members that are a wealth of knowledge!

Old 02-26-2015, 03:51 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,831,318 times
Look more like a Stevens Original to me that someone has put a home made schuetzen style stock on it. It could have also come from Stevens just like that from their custom shop too but the stock work looks pretty rough for it to come from them. I see a lot of these old shooters as my family was big into schuetzen style rifles and shooting the game back into the late 1800's to the 1970's. It's not uncommon for someone to have taken a basic Stevens or Savage 22LR and make it into a schuetzen rifle. My step uncle had probably 50 in his stash of schuetzen rifles. Some factory, most of them home made. He also loaded his own 22LR ammo. My grandfather was also considered a local champion of schuetzen matches.

I doubt the German origin story. Most want to think schuetzen rifles are all made in Germany and that's false info. Most are US made. German rifles will have the makers initials on every part. US made seldom has any makers name on it. The most popular German made schuetzen rifle is made by Haenal Adt. They were THE rifle to have if you were shooting competition. I have one in 8x 48R which means I not only handload for it, I have to make the brass from 30-30 brass which requires a lathe and several sizing steps. The schuetzen game is a ton of fun and since you have one, I'd strongly suggest you give it a run. They still have matches in the Texas Hill Country as I understand it. You might have them in your area as well. FWIW, that rifle is going to shoot standard velocity or sub sonic ammo, not high velocity and I would suggest not trying high velocity at all. The chamber and grooves in the barrel will be too tight for high velocity specs. There are 5 22 LR chamberings. High velocity chambers are huge by comparison to a match grade chambering.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 449 times
Default MicFly

May be too late as I see this post is from 2 years ago. But, that to my knowledge is an air rifle. I do not remember the brand but the lever compresses a coiled flat spring and the button to the right of the barrel opens the breech for loading. Have only seen one like it. Believe its called a Bugelspanner

Last edited by MicFly; 05-24-2017 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-24-2017, 12:22 PM

9,184 posts, read 10,125,866 times
By Jove, you are correct. I hope that we see more of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting