Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A Buddy of mine and I were looking into hunting Texas hogs. You folks down there are WAY more hospitable than N CA. Taking our GU s, ANY guns, into CA is taking a chance on losing them to some, trumped up charge, even if you've followed the law to the letter. Hmmm....a TX hog hunt.
Yeah, my friends in the industry (Surefire) in CA go to TX for hog hunts, if that tells you anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 06:21 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Yeah, my friends in the industry (Surefire) in CA go to TX for hog hunts, if that tells you anything.
Yea...speaks volumes. Hlgs are my favorite hunt. Its an exiting and adventurous undertaking. Were my funding less limited, TX,AL, AR and such would be where I'd be going, regular like. Not just for hogs, either.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:01 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've never er done it with a bow as my primary tool. This is going to be a dream realized. I'm no pro bowman. Far more, technical, experience with bullets. However, the same principals apply in archery. Weight, velocity, terminal energy, on target, accuracy, etc. But with arrows, tissue disruption, "shock factor", is translated as blood loss, not kinetic energy.

The danger, with dangerous and tough, game, is higher. Thus, our backup handguns. I e seen pigs take some, severe, punishment, before going down. One , ran for 200 yards, through the brush, after taking a 12 ga, 1 oz, slug, right behind the shoulder, and he was just a little boar, tipping in at a shade over 200#s.

Archery is presenting a whole new world, to me.
I have never hunted hogs, but, from what I have read, they have a cartilage "shield" over the shoulders, which is hard for bullets to get through. I wonder how well an arrow will do on a hog, if you have to take a shot with the hog more or less headed towards you? I'm thinking between the head and the shoulder area, you won't have much in the way of a good target for an arrow.

Anybody have some real world experience on this?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have never hunted hogs, but, from what I have read, they have a cartilage "shield" over the shoulders, which is hard for bullets to get through. I wonder how well an arrow will do on a hog, if you have to take a shot with the hog more or less headed towards you? I'm thinking between the head and the shoulder area, you won't have much in the way of a good target for an arrow.

Anybody have some real world experience on this?
Russians are not a safe bet, bow on, they have some sort of ..carapace..of dense muscle back of the head, and their skull is quite thick and angled oddly, so bullets have been known to glance off with a head on shot. The latter is also the same with ferals, though their heads ate more blunt, but they aren't put together through the shoulder like a Russian.

We won't be, intentionally any way, "ground gaming" with arrows. Not looking to jump shoot, unless it happens on the way in, which isn't likely. From blind or tree stand at the wallow , is the main plan. I don't want a "hogzilla", either.I'm looking to bag onein the 200# rrange. My son might want a bigger one,. Lol, being young, be dreams of massive boars, with huge tusks, and deer with racks that eagles nest in.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
I'd have to hang a Clint Eastwood on my hip before I'd bow-hunt feral hogs.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
My friends bow hunt hogs in GA every year. More effective than a 12 ga, and my friend has the dented hide to prove 00 buck didn't penetrate, but the broadhead did.

Long story but suffice to say someone crapped their pants when a hog shrugged off a broadside hit with 00 buck.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:15 AM

Slugs aren't much better Threerun. Had one run for almost 200yards , through the brush, with a 1oz slug behind the shoulder. Pe station is a requirement, for sure. I went to a 30-30 Win, after that, and I've used properly loaded 45 Colt too. I'm not looking to face down any mad libs this trip, which is why I plan on blind or tree stand .

I'm not the adrenaline junky I was 30 years ago. My son, however, is the epitome of me, 30 years ago. Gonna have to temper his enthusiasm with wisdom, this trip. This will be his first hog hunt.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:19 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
When he showed me that plate and hide with the 00 dents in it I was pretty shocked. He said he was really close. His buddy had to run over and hit the hog with a broad head.

I believe this was the hog they shot with the 12ga and then followed up with the bow-

My buddy shot this one with a SA Vaquero .44mag

They are really in to it. I never really was, as we butchered hogs every year. Frankly I only want to butcher hogs once a year, normally in the winter- I couldn't bring myself to have to deal with them in the heat in GA!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
I'd love to shoot a hog or two. Anyone within about 8 hours of Nebraska/Kansas got some they'd like to let me come harvest?

Old 02-13-2015, 11:03 PM

There's a possibility of sows with Spring piglets and rutting boars on this trip, so the Blackhawk is what's riding my hip. The load will be the 300 gr XTP with 20 gr of 296. Out of my carbine, this load has, decicively, dropped hogs before. It will lose about 150 or so fps coming out of my Hawks 7.5" tube as opposed to my Marlins 18", but still will carry plenty of slap.

With my boy on this run, and being his first hunt, I do believe I will pack the Marlin and hogleg, and back him up till he drops his pig. Then he can do the same for me. No sense taking chances. He will gain experience, in all possible safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting