Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:16 PM

18,138 posts, read 15,550,789 times

Advertisements

My son and I will be taking the field in early April for N CA feral hog, on private land I have an old connection to. The hogs on this patch can get pretty large, as there isn't much pressure on them. The terrain can get steep, but there's a spring in a meadow that the hogs favor as a wallow. The surrounding wood is large, thick manzanita, madrone and oak, and coming face to face with a big pig in there, is a distinct possibility.

This is an archery hunt. I will be packing my 55# longbow and my some will be using his 55 # Edge compound. Both of us will be packing 45 ACP backups on our hips.

My son is going to use 30" commercial arrows, carbon Hunter Magnums, with a triple blade 200 gr broad head. Me, I'm building my arrows. Heat tempered, bamboo shafts, four fletched, with hand forged steel Bodkin variants, backed by triple blades, around 300 gr. I've got 5 made, in final testing now. I'm paper tuning them, and only one shows issues. To stiff, . Going to try a heavier tip, and footing it, to flex it up a bit.

If anyone has more experience with bamboo, and can help with various tuning issues, it would interest me , greatly, yo bear various experiences with arrow making and tuning. Its new ground for me, but I want to do this hunt with my own shafts. Just so I can say I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 12:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,121,673 times
Sounds fun. Whether homemade arrows or not....I'd love to do a hog hunt like that.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 PM

I've never er done it with a bow as my primary tool. This is going to be a dream realized. I'm no pro bowman. Far more, technical, experience with bullets. However, the same principals apply in archery. Weight, velocity, terminal energy, on target, accuracy, etc. But with arrows, tissue disruption, "shock factor", is translated as blood loss, not kinetic energy.

The danger, with dangerous and tough, game, is higher. Thus, our backup handguns. I e seen pigs take some, severe, punishment, before going down. One , ran for 200 yards, through the brush, after taking a 12 ga, 1 oz, slug, right behind the shoulder, and he was just a little boar, tipping in at a shade over 200#s.

Archery is presenting a whole new world, to me.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:18 PM

12,895 posts, read 13,227,554 times
Sounds like a hoot, but what kind of handgun backup will y'all be packin'?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Sounds like a hoot, but what kind of handgun backup will y'all be packin'?
I'm packing either my 1911, with 230 gr Hornady XTPs, backed by 7 grs of Unique, or my Ruger Black hawk, 45 Colt, 250 gr, Hornady XTP, backed by 19 grs of W296. My son will be packing his SW 625, 230 gr Hornady XTP with the prior mentions, Unique load or 5 gr of Bullseye. His choice there.

My first choice is my Blackhawk.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,965,292 times
Good bullet choice in the .45 ACP. Those are known for penetrating well. However, no-matter what you load it with, my experience with the .45 ACP is that it is not very good at penetrating hard things like wood/car doors/etc. I have not shot a pig with it, but some of that gristle is very thick. Low sectional density, low velocity, wide meplat. Makes it great for things like people, and bad for things like pigs.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:51 AM

Excellent handgun choices. Really like my .357 Blackhawk - bought it new in 1968 plus a San Antonio Leather rig for $80.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Excellent handgun choices. Really like my .357 Blackhawk - bought it new in 1968 plus a San Antonio Leather rig for $80.
Hard to beat a Blackhawk. I'll, more than likely, be packing mine on this hunt. That load, for the old 45 Colt, is a powerhouse. The same charge works well with the 300gr XTP as well, and I have a box of those on the shelf. I've taken good sized hogs with that load, from my Marlin 94. They go down and stay down.

The 94 is coming on this trip too. The main focus are the bows, but , if I take one with my bow and my son hasn't yet, I'll carry the carbine and just back him up, and vice versa. Its hood hunting on this spread, a d , occasionally, a Russian boar hybrid shows up. They are rare that far North though. Start getting into them down around Monterey. But I have no connections down there.

I'd be happy with a couple nice, young 200# or so hogs. We aren't hunting trophies.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM

Feral hogs are causing millions in damage here in Texas. Their nasty population is getting out of control - so it's no wonder more & more landowners are packing ARs & AKs to thin them out.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Feral hogs are causing millions in damage here in Texas. Their nasty population is getting out of control - so it's no wonder more & more landowners are packing ARs & AKs to thin them out.
A Buddy of mine and I were looking into hunting Texas hogs. You folks down there are WAY more hospitable than N CA. Taking our GU s, ANY guns, into CA is taking a chance on losing them to some, trumped up charge, even if you've followed the law to the letter. Hmmm....a TX hog hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting