Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 01:12 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times

Advertisements

I bought my 15 year old daughter a Barrett .338 Lapua with a 4-50x75mm Counter-Sniper scope for Christmas and she is shooting it fine out to 1000 meters.

She is seeking to start shooting out to 1500 meters and beyond, but I cannot seem to find any MOA tables for her to work with. I have checked a few sites and am getting nowhere.

Does anyone know any sites or the MOA tables for 1000+ meters?

My daughter is currently using 250 gr BTHP match ammo from Hornady out of a 26 inch barrel, in case that information is is needed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
As a long range competitor, I have not found any tables beyond 1000, except personal tables for particular rifles. I've tried using another shooters tables to dope and couldn't even mark paper. If you find any, post them.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:54 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I know next to zip about this stuff but I noticed this calculator on the Hornady website some time ago. Would this help?

Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

Old 02-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I know next to zip about this stuff but I noticed this calculator on the Hornady website some time ago. Would this help?

Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

wow, -842 inches at 1500 meters.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
As a long range competitor, I have not found any tables beyond 1000, except personal tables for particular rifles. I've tried using another shooters tables to dope and couldn't even mark paper. If you find any, post them.

Elk, maybe I should send my daughter out to you for training.

do you happen to know of any schools that teach extreme long range shooting?

Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
wow, -842 inches at 1500 meters.
Like I said, I have no clue. Just trying to help.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Like I said, I have no clue. Just trying to help.

well, found a place out in Burlington, Wyoming called gunwerks that is supposed to have long range courses. e-mailed them to ask their age limits.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
well, found a place out in Burlington, Wyoming called gunwerks that is supposed to have long range courses. e-mailed them to ask their age limits.
Good, hopefully you will hear something. The biggest problem is finding as range that can accommodate that distance. Too many times I've seen ranges that have a target backstop at that distance, but ts a worthless range. Too many deviations on terrain allowing wind currents to disturb bullet travel. I realize that in real life there is going to be deviations, but, for training and setting your dope tables, you need flat with constant side and back stop. To give you an idea, Tue last competition I was at, was held in a strip mine. Sides were 300 ft tall, the flat was 400. ft wide. At 1500 meters we still had to fight 5 different side drafts that effected bullet travel. So when you reach out that far, how do you tell what zero is so you can even build a table? Is the range East/West or is earth spin going to really mess with you?

At our local range, we have a gong out at 1000 meters. It can be fine for some fun to see. if you can ring it, but I would NEVER use it to zero my gun, nor would I try and train somebody. There is easily, a half dozen things to mess with you.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:09 PM

What you are concerned with is called external ballistics. It is what happens between the time the bullet leaves the barrel and it impacts the target. For instance, humidity is not a factor at 1000 meters and less, yet it is a factor past 1000 meters. The humidity can be drastically different at the target. So every time you go out to zero, the range is different. There went the tables you built last week when you were out burning powder. There just isn't any reliable tables, that are usable. Gun manufacturers have calculators, as well as there are ballistic tables put out by ammo manufacturers. Those calculators are fairly close and are derived from doppler radar testing. But, that is internal ballistics and projected results.

Obviously you understand that if I made you 5 bull barrels, and warrenteed them at 1/2 inch at 100 yards, those would be tight barrels, but each one would shoot differently and each one would respond differently to each bullet weight, each type of powder, each amount of powder. a you can do the math, if you draw a radius of .5 at the target, now add the other factors and you should stay within that radius. Maybe one type of powder would always put you in a particular quadrant. You can now do the math to predict what your bullet should do when you calculate where that bullet is going to drift at 100, 500, and even 1000 yards. Those factors are fairly negligible out to 1000, however, their faults really kick in when you look at 1000+. Let's throw in another fuge factor. When you compete, in order to keep things fair, the range furnishes the ammo. Do you know what they are going to furnish this week? How old is it? How was stored?

Remember, every barrel, every action is going to handle a particular shell differently. That is all internal ballistics and can be calculated to some point. But it is still a prediction. you can't even start a dope table until you start factoring in external ballistics and then you are talking over 100 variables that have to be factored in. Even, earths spin.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:56 PM

10,713 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
I bought my 15 year old daughter a Barrett .338 Lapua with a 4-50x75mm Counter-Sniper scope for Christmas and she is shooting it fine out to 1000 meters.
Seems like a very odd scope to pair with that rifle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting